Hello and Mac OS X question

Marc Hanisch
Hello List,

my name is Marc, I'm a programmer from Germany developing B2B PHP-Web
applications as my profession.
In my spare time I try to discover Smalltalk and I'm very impressed
and somewhat overstrained about the big range of different Smalltalk
distributions, tools and possibilities.

So I decided to look at Pharo by reading Pharo By Example. I'm using
Pharo on my Ubuntu-Box and on my MacBook, too. Now I'm wondering, how
to load an previously saved image on Mac OS X? On Linux I copy &
change the ./pharo.sh file. Is there any best practice to open such an
image? There is no facility to open an image from within the
Pharo-IDE.

Sorry for that newbee question, I'm somewhat confused ;-)

Thank you very much and best regards,
Marc

--
http://twitter.com/dubst3pp4
http://dubst3pp4.wordpress.com

Re: Hello and Mac OS X question

solar_sea
Hi Marc,
I'm basically in the same situation like you, I'm a B2B Java developer
by the day and I'm using Pharo for personal projects at night. :)

I believe it's best to install the virtual machine separately and just
associate the .image files with it. (I've done this under Windows,
under Linux I have squeak-vm installed from my distro and I just run
squeak my-pharo.image.) Therefore whenever you open an image (with the
coresponding .changes file available as well as .sources) - the vm
will launch with it.
Stanislav Paskalev

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 3:40 PM, Marc Hanisch
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello List,
>
> my name is Marc, I'm a programmer from Germany developing B2B PHP-Web
> applications as my profession.
> In my spare time I try to discover Smalltalk and I'm very impressed
> and somewhat overstrained about the big range of different Smalltalk
> distributions, tools and possibilities.
>
> So I decided to look at Pharo by reading Pharo By Example. I'm using
> Pharo on my Ubuntu-Box and on my MacBook, too. Now I'm wondering, how
> to load an previously saved image on Mac OS X? On Linux I copy &
> change the ./pharo.sh file. Is there any best practice to open such an
> image? There is no facility to open an image from within the
> Pharo-IDE.
>
> Sorry for that newbee question, I'm somewhat confused ;-)
>
> Thank you very much and best regards,
> Marc
>
> --
> http://twitter.com/dubst3pp4
> http://dubst3pp4.wordpress.com

Re: Hello and Mac OS X question

welcome marc

> my name is Marc, I'm a programmer from Germany developing B2B PHP-Web
> applications as my profession.
> In my spare time I try to discover Smalltalk and I'm very impressed

I hope that you will be able to develop great seaside applications like the one shown by johan brichau at ESUG
this year. NextPlan is gorgeous.

> and somewhat overstrained about the big range of different Smalltalk
> distributions, tools and possibilities.

:)

> So I decided to look at Pharo by reading Pharo By Example. I'm using
> Pharo on my Ubuntu-Box and on my MacBook, too. Now I'm wondering, how
> to load an previously saved image on Mac OS X? On Linux I copy &
> change the ./pharo.sh file. Is there any best practice to open such an
> image? There is no facility to open an image from within the
> Pharo-IDE.

on mac just drop the image file on the virtual machine.
If you are using a one click image, you can access the virtual machine
by opening (show package contents) one click and you can access to the vm.
One click are just to help people getting started.
Let me know if this is working and if this solving your problem.

Now I really suggest you to reload your code in the other image.
LIke that you have a reproducible way to always get your application

> Sorry for that newbee question, I'm somewhat confused ;-)

there is no problem.

On Sep 16, 2010, at 3:16 PM, Stanislav Paskalev wrote:

> Hi Marc,
> I'm basically in the same situation like you, I'm a B2B Java developer
> by the day and I'm using Pharo for personal projects at night. :)

I hope that one day you will be able to do the inverse :)

> I believe it's best to install the virtual machine separately and just
> associate the .image files with it. (I've done this under Windows,
> under Linux I have squeak-vm installed from my distro and I just run
> squeak my-pharo.image.) Therefore whenever you open an image (with the
> coresponding .changes file available as well as .sources) - the vm
> will launch with it.

Yes
One click are just bundle to let people work with the system in two minutes.

> Stanislav Paskalev
>

> On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 3:40 PM, Marc Hanisch
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello List,
>>
>> my name is Marc, I'm a programmer from Germany developing B2B PHP-Web
>> applications as my profession.
>> In my spare time I try to discover Smalltalk and I'm very impressed
>> and somewhat overstrained about the big range of different Smalltalk
>> distributions, tools and possibilities.
>>
>> So I decided to look at Pharo by reading Pharo By Example. I'm using
>> Pharo on my Ubuntu-Box and on my MacBook, too. Now I'm wondering, how
>> to load an previously saved image on Mac OS X? On Linux I copy &
>> change the ./pharo.sh file. Is there any best practice to open such an
>> image? There is no facility to open an image from within the
>> Pharo-IDE.
>>
>> Sorry for that newbee question, I'm somewhat confused ;-)
>>
>> Thank you very much and best regards,
>> Marc
>>
>> --
>> http://twitter.com/dubst3pp4
>> http://dubst3pp4.wordpress.com

Re: Hello and Mac OS X question

Marc Hanisch
Hello Stanislav, hello Stéphane,

thank you very much! I didn't realized that I can install the VM
seperately :-) I really like the way of programming with
Smalltalk/Pharo and I like the intelligent IDE (although I'm a
die-hard vim-user ;-))...

Best regards!
Marc

2010/9/16 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> On Sep 16, 2010, at 3:16 PM, Stanislav Paskalev wrote:
>
>> Hi Marc,
>> I'm basically in the same situation like you, I'm a B2B Java developer
>> by the day and I'm using Pharo for personal projects at night. :)
>
> I hope that one day you will be able to do the inverse :)
>
>> I believe it's best to install the virtual machine separately and just
>> associate the .image files with it. (I've done this under Windows,
>> under Linux I have squeak-vm installed from my distro and I just run
>> squeak my-pharo.image.) Therefore whenever you open an image (with the
>> coresponding .changes file available as well as .sources) - the vm
>> will launch with it.
>
> Yes
> One click are just bundle to let people work with the system in two minutes.
>
>> Stanislav Paskalev
>>

>> On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 3:40 PM, Marc Hanisch
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hello List,
>>>
>>> my name is Marc, I'm a programmer from Germany developing B2B PHP-Web
>>> applications as my profession.
>>> In my spare time I try to discover Smalltalk and I'm very impressed
>>> and somewhat overstrained about the big range of different Smalltalk
>>> distributions, tools and possibilities.
>>>
>>> So I decided to look at Pharo by reading Pharo By Example. I'm using
>>> Pharo on my Ubuntu-Box and on my MacBook, too. Now I'm wondering, how
>>> to load an previously saved image on Mac OS X? On Linux I copy &
>>> change the ./pharo.sh file. Is there any best practice to open such an
>>> image? There is no facility to open an image from within the
>>> Pharo-IDE.
>>>
>>> Sorry for that newbee question, I'm somewhat confused ;-)
>>>
>>> Thank you very much and best regards,
>>> Marc
>>>
>>> --
>>> http://twitter.com/dubst3pp4
>>> http://dubst3pp4.wordpress.com

Re: Hello and Mac OS X question

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi Marc and welcome!!   Maybe you should read: http://book.pharo-project.org/book/introduction/

that is a chapter for basic stuff. It explains image, vm, etc...

Cheers

Mariano

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 7:25 AM, Marc Hanisch <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Stanislav, hello Stéphane,

thank you very much! I didn't realized that I can install the VM
seperately :-) I really like the way of programming with
Smalltalk/Pharo and I like the intelligent IDE (although I'm a
die-hard vim-user ;-))...

Best regards!
Marc

2010/9/16 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> On Sep 16, 2010, at 3:16 PM, Stanislav Paskalev wrote:
>
>> Hi Marc,
>> I'm basically in the same situation like you, I'm a B2B Java developer
>> by the day and I'm using Pharo for personal projects at night. :)
>
> I hope that one day you will be able to do the inverse :)
>
>> I believe it's best to install the virtual machine separately and just
>> associate the .image files with it. (I've done this under Windows,
>> under Linux I have squeak-vm installed from my distro and I just run
>> squeak my-pharo.image.) Therefore whenever you open an image (with the
>> coresponding .changes file available as well as .sources) - the vm
>> will launch with it.
>
> Yes
> One click are just bundle to let people work with the system in two minutes.
>
>> Stanislav Paskalev
>>

>> On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 3:40 PM, Marc Hanisch
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hello List,
>>>
>>> my name is Marc, I'm a programmer from Germany developing B2B PHP-Web
>>> applications as my profession.
>>> In my spare time I try to discover Smalltalk and I'm very impressed
>>> and somewhat overstrained about the big range of different Smalltalk
>>> distributions, tools and possibilities.
>>>
>>> So I decided to look at Pharo by reading Pharo By Example. I'm using
>>> Pharo on my Ubuntu-Box and on my MacBook, too. Now I'm wondering, how
>>> to load an previously saved image on Mac OS X? On Linux I copy &
>>> change the ./pharo.sh file. Is there any best practice to open such an
>>> image? There is no facility to open an image from within the
>>> Pharo-IDE.
>>>
>>> Sorry for that newbee question, I'm somewhat confused ;-)
>>>
>>> Thank you very much and best regards,
>>> Marc
>>>
>>> --
>>> http://twitter.com/dubst3pp4
>>> http://dubst3pp4.wordpress.com

Re: Hello and Mac OS X question

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Marc Hanisch wrote
although I'm a
die-hard vim-user ;-))...
I am also (vim rocks!!!).  There are three things I found out:
1. because Smalltalk methods are ( supposed to be ;-) ) very short i.e. 10 lines or less, vi bindings are still incredible time/attention savers, but the gap isn't nearly as wide as with a traditional text file.
2. there is the SVI project, which I ported to the current version of Squeak, and could probably be ported to Pharo pretty easily, which gives you vi bindings for the tools.
3. Smalltalk systems are totally customizable, so if you decide to make Pharo your home, you could come up with vim-esque bindings appropriate for a Smalltalk image that cause a productivity leap similar to what vim does in text files.

HTH,
Sean
Cheers,
Sean