Hello everybody

Lito Steel
Hello my new friends:

I'm from Mexico and i'm trying to do some stuff with
GNU-Smalltalk. Mainly an interface for my distro (not
finished yet). Just 'til this morning i found the
list.

I'm using gst with the Gtk bindings and i 've proved
everything from Dialogs to Menus and Treeviews...
It's wonderful to progress with smalltalk, but i can't
do Drawings to implement the famous Turtle object for
some fun.

Anybody using GtkDrawingImage or GtkStyle...or if you
can please tell me where to find the Drawing functions
(e.g. gdk_draw_line, gdk_draw_rectangle, etc).

I'll appreciate any help, and thanks in advance.
(sorry for my english)...
Ah, by the way I speak spanish and can help with
translations (from english). I read a lot better than
write.
Thanks again!

Re: Hello everybody

Paolo Bonzini
Lito Steel wrote:

> Hello my new friends:
>
> I'm from Mexico and i'm trying to do some stuff with
> GNU-Smalltalk. Mainly an interface for my distro (not
> finished yet). Just 'til this morning i found the
> list.
>
> I'm using gst with the Gtk bindings and i 've proved
> everything from Dialogs to Menus and Treeviews...
> It's wonderful to progress with smalltalk, but i can't
> do Drawings to implement the famous Turtle object for
> some fun.

Hi Lito, sorry for not answering your private mail.
> Anybody using GtkDrawingImage or GtkStyle...or if you
> can please tell me where to find the Drawing functions
> (e.g. gdk_draw_line, gdk_draw_rectangle, etc).

You can find them by grep-ing Funcs.st.  For example, you can get

!GtkStyle class methodsFor: 'C call-outs'!
drawLine: drawable gc: gc x1: x1 y1: y1 x2: x2 y2: y2
   <cCall: 'gdk_draw_line' returning: #void
       args: #( #cObject #cObject #int #int #int #int )>! !

In general, the first parameter becomes the receiver of the message.

I checked in the attached patch to ameliorate the situationin the case
of gdk_draw_ function.

> I'll appreciate any help, and thanks in advance.
> (sorry for my english)...
> Ah, by the way I speak spanish and can help with
> translations (from english). I read a lot better than
> write.
Unfortunately, GNU Smalltalk is not yet localized.

Since lately I have had little time for GNU Smalltalk, I was thinking
about applying for Google Summer of Code mentorship.  We could revive a
bit the mailing list by discussing projects.  My personal favorite would
be to design a different input format than the chunked file-out...  This
would really be a good additional feature for GNU Smalltalk.

Paolo