Hello ...

mayuresh
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Hello ...

S Krish

Welcome to the Smalltalk world..

You would have already seen:

http://pharo.org/documentation   in particular:   http://pharobyexample.org/

In Pharo Start with the Pharo Tutorials through ( Left Click on the World, Help >> Pharo Tutorials )

Watch the screencasts..  in the documentation page..

Probably relevant will be Web application development with Seaside framework in Pharo Smalltalk:
Rest will fall into place once you sink yourself in, and ask questions relevant to where you are wanting to head to..

On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 10:29 PM, Mayuresh Kathe <[hidden email]> wrote:
A hello to Pharo-Users list members.

I am Mayuresh Kathe from Mumbai, India.

I used to work with Squeak a while (14 years) back, but ever since I had to move over to non-OOP environments, and never did get to work with Smalltalk or alike systems ever since.

To add to that, I haven't been programming for over 7 years due to being pushed into the management track.
I have quit the management world, and along with it a regular job.

Am now a consultant, mostly to Web startups which leaves me with a lot of spare time to tinker around with what I would really like to.

After a lot of searching and experimenting, I finally landed in Pharo land, and things look good. :)

Given the fact that I haven't written a single fully functional program in 7 years, I feel like I've lost the ability to code, sort-a rusty.

Would the list members be kind enough to suggest a book I could work through to warm myself up to OOP?
I stumbled upon "The Object Oriented Thought Process" by Matt Weisfeld, looks good, but if there's anything better suited to Pharo, would be nice to know.

Thanks,

~Mayuresh

Re: Hello ...

mayuresh
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Hello ...

kilon.alios
I have posted a series of video tutorial for Pharo and in some of them I explain the basics of OO with practical examples

if you throw also PBE I think you pretty much covered.

OO is not really a difficult concept, an object is just a collection of variables and methods and then it builds complexity from there. But if you already so familiar with Squeak that should come as riding a bike, you cant forget these things. So I am sure you will remember it quickly when you try your your own experiments.

By the way welcome to Pharo and keep us posted with your progress .

Peronally I love Squeak is hands down the most elegant GUI system I have used, but I use Pharo because its more actively developed and better in the things that interest me.

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Hello ...

kilon.alios
by the way I forgot to add that I am active at #pharo irc channel at freenode if you want to chat about pharo and ask questions and also you can ask your questions at stackoverflow adding the tag pharo , the pharo community is so active in stackoverflow that I have never seen an unanswered question.

here is the tag

On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 8:25 PM, Mayuresh Kathe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Cool, thanks for the information.
Also, your "riding a bike" analogy is quite good. :)
Let's see how it goes for me.

Best,

~Mayuresh

On 2014-09-05 22:50, kilon alios wrote:
I have posted a series of video tutorial for Pharo and in some of them
I explain the basics of OO with practical examples

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqbtQ7OkSta0ULYAd7Qdxof851ybh-_m_
[4]

http://pharo.org/documentation [1]   in particular:
http://pharobyexample.org/ [2]

http://book.seaside.st/book [3]

wrote:

[...]

Links:
------
[1] http://pharo.org/documentation
[2] http://pharobyexample.org/
[3] http://book.seaside.st/book
[4] https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqbtQ7OkSta0ULYAd7Qdxof851ybh-_m_

Re: Hello ...

S Krish

Sure can...

Morphic is a different beast, very malleable, glitchy too for now, much better with clean up in Pharo. But the future may see major shifts if Bloc comes through.

Spec and my own effort on Pharo Morphic View..

   **  https://picasaweb.google.com/skrishnamachari/PharoTabletIDE

   **  http://skrishnamachari.wordpress.com/2014/09/01/reviving-pharo-morphic-view/
ease the creation a lot..  My effort was a proof I had of how utterly malleable Pharo / Squeak actually is.. I could knock in a new IDE interface with Tree structured code IDE, A simple but effective enterprise class UI framework in around couple of months..

Yes going deeper and getting it technically perfect is much more effort..

But for sure, if you are not weighed down by a career and want to enjoy a ride in the programming world.. nothing better than Pharo Smalltalk for now to hitch too..  though I would enjoy Groovy, Javascript, Python or Ruby for their own uniqueness but primarily as related in the dynamic programming world.

-Enjoy..

On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 10:47 PM, Mayuresh Kathe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for the welcome note. :)

I am quite certain that I want to head in a direction away from Web application development using Pharo.

I see in Pharo the promise that was left unhonoured by Squeak, one of having an elegant system instead of a quilt.

The Pharo UI looks better than any of the ones in the Squeak world, though, I believe Pharo's LnF can be taken to a whole new level, and that's what I intend to work on once I've gained enough command over the environment and the programming language.

Best,

~Mayuresh

Re: Hello ...

abergel
Welcome Mayuresh!

Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

On Sep 5, 2014, at 12:59 PM, Mayuresh Kathe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A hello to Pharo-Users list members.
>
> I am Mayuresh Kathe from Mumbai, India.
>
> I used to work with Squeak a while (14 years) back, but ever since I had to move over to non-OOP environments, and never did get to work with Smalltalk or alike systems ever since.
>
> To add to that, I haven't been programming for over 7 years due to being pushed into the management track.
> I have quit the management world, and along with it a regular job.
>
> Am now a consultant, mostly to Web startups which leaves me with a lot of spare time to tinker around with what I would really like to.
>
> After a lot of searching and experimenting, I finally landed in Pharo land, and things look good. :)
>
> Given the fact that I haven't written a single fully functional program in 7 years, I feel like I've lost the ability to code, sort-a rusty.
>
> Would the list members be kind enough to suggest a book I could work through to warm myself up to OOP?
> I stumbled upon "The Object Oriented Thought Process" by Matt Weisfeld, looks good, but if there's anything better suited to Pharo, would be nice to know.
>
> Thanks,
>
> ~Mayuresh

Re: Hello ...

kilon.alios
Just started to play with Racket a few moments ago

There so many great languages out there and tools, really.

GUI wise the future of Pharo is at least cleaning up Morphic. So it can only get better. Spec also looks like it has a promising future in Pharo. I was thinking implementing my own GUI using the Blender Game Engine (making it possible to use 3d guis) and I was even flirting the idea of porting QT to Pharo via my project Ephestos.

So things are moving forward and there is nothing stoping that.

On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 8:29 PM, S Krish <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

HilaireFernandes
Le 05/09/2014 18:59, Mayuresh Kathe a écrit :
> Would the list members be kind enough to suggest a book I could work
> through to warm myself up to OOP?
> I stumbled upon "The Object Oriented Thought Process" by Matt Weisfeld,
> looks good, but if there's anything better suited to Pharo, would be
> nice to know.

Hello Mayuresh,

Welcome back!

 From this collection http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr/FreeBooks.html, I
suggest you "Smalltalk with Style", easy to read and a nice way to
remind you Smalltalk.
Then for your own ground foundation, to write nice code for complex
situation, I suggest you buy "Smalltalk design pattern companion book",
worth the investment.
Smalltalk by example is also nice to read.

Then for Pharo itself, you have several books, like PharoByExamples
serie, you probably now about it and buying these books is also a nice
way to support Pharo.

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo - http://drgeo.eu