Hellp + PostgreSQL Connector

roberto.minelli@usi.ch
Hello,

I am Roberto Minelli, a PhD student in the REVEAL research group at the Faculty of Informatics of the University of Lugano.
I am exploring Smalltalk, and Pharo, for the first time and I am open to suggestions and tips & trick.

Shortly I would like to work on something concrete to get in touch with Smalltalk.
One of the things I am interested in, is retrieving entries from an existing PostgreSQL database.
To this aim it would be great if some to you could point me in the right direction. ;)

I also heard that there are some very cool "extensions" to the Pharo IDE (i.e., code completion, code browsing, etc).
I would be glad if some of you could help me discovering all these cool features of Pharo!

Thanks in advance,
Roberto M.

Re: Hellp + PostgreSQL Connector

Guillermo Polito
Hi Roberto!

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 3:01 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I am Roberto Minelli, a PhD student in the REVEAL research group at the Faculty of Informatics of the University of Lugano.
I am exploring Smalltalk, and Pharo, for the first time and I am open to suggestions and tips & trick.

Shortly I would like to work on something concrete to get in touch with Smalltalk.
One of the things I am interested in, is retrieving entries from an existing PostgreSQL database.
To this aim it would be great if some to you could point me in the right direction. ;)

I can point you two on this front:

- dbxtalk[1]: a open source database suite to work with several databases. For this one there is it's own mailing list.
- postgresql native driver[2]: a native smalltalk driver to connect to a postgreV2 database

Guille

Bernat Romagosa.

Re: Hellp + PostgreSQL Connector

Welcome :)

On Oct 18, 2012, at 3:01 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am Roberto Minelli, a PhD student in the REVEAL research group at the Faculty of Informatics of the University of Lugano.
> I am exploring Smalltalk, and Pharo, for the first time and I am open to suggestions and tips & trick.

Have a look at the PharoCast from laurent Laffont
You have also ProfStef to learn fast the syntax
with Pharo by example the book

Then do not hesitate to ask any question you have.

> Shortly I would like to work on something concrete to get in touch with Smalltalk.
> One of the things I am interested in, is retrieving entries from an existing PostgreSQL database.
> To this aim it would be great if some to you could point me in the right direction. ;)

Guillermo is the expert with mariano.

> I also heard that there are some very cool "extensions" to the Pharo IDE (i.e., code completion, code browsing, etc).
> I would be glad if some of you could help me discovering all these cool features of Pharo!

Take Pharo1.4
Normally the color highlighting and code completion are on.
Have a look at the settings.

You also have some alternate window manager like TMW or TWM :)

> Thanks in advance,
> Roberto M.

Re: Hellp + PostgreSQL Connector

roberto.minelli@usi.ch
Thanks a lot. I'll try one of the two tomorrow!

Roberto

Il giorno 18-ott-2012, alle ore 15:50, "Guillermo Polito" <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> ha scritto:

Hi Roberto!

[1] dbxtalk.smallworks.com.ar<http://dbxtalk.smallworks.com.ar>
[2] http://squeaksource.com/@leyVGjJ0XYt4ZPRt/9QfStt2T

Il giorno 18-ott-2012, alle ore 18:35, "Stéphane Ducasse" <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> Welcome :)

Thanks!

> On Oct 18, 2012, at 3:01 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am Roberto Minelli, a PhD student in the REVEAL research group at the Faculty of Informatics of the University of Lugano.
>> I am exploring Smalltalk, and Pharo, for the first time and I am open to suggestions and tips & trick.
>
> Have a look at the PharoCast from laurent Laffont

Ok :)

> You have also ProfStef to learn fast the syntax
> with Pharo by example the book

Done.

> Then do not hesitate to ask any question you have.
>
>> Shortly I would like to work on something concrete to get in touch with Smalltalk.
>> One of the things I am interested in, is retrieving entries from an existing PostgreSQL database.
>> To this aim it would be great if some to you could point me in the right direction. ;)
>
> Guillermo is the expert with mariano.
>
>> I also heard that there are some very cool "extensions" to the Pharo IDE (i.e., code completion, code browsing, etc).
>> I would be glad if some of you could help me discovering all these cool features of Pharo!
>
> Take Pharo1.4
> Normally the color highlighting and code completion are on.
> Have a look at the settings.

I've already played a bit with Pharo 1.4'

> You also have some alternate window manager like TMW or TWM :)

I'll try them! :)