Help - DLL runtime error

Steve Geringer
Help,

One of my users is having the following error on startup:
Message Box pops up which states:

"The parameter is incorrect. 16r67"

here are more specifics...

Dolphin 3.06 deployed image
Windows 98 while running a java applet
and another windows program called preferred trade 5.01 software.

I am thinking someone is hosing up a dll somewhere because the problem
goes away when he reboots.  but of course it is difficult to debug
without seeing the system.

How can i determine which DLL/memory whatever is crashing?
Does the runtime produce a Dolphin.errors file or is it called
something else? (i can't get my deployed image to crash).

of course i may have failed to do some registry step or something.

thanks,
steve geringer

Re: Help - DLL runtime error

Blair McGlashan
Steve

You wrote in message news:[hidden email]...

> Help,
>
> One of my users is having the following error on startup:
> Message Box pops up which states:
>
> "The parameter is incorrect. 16r67"
>
> here are more specifics...
>
> Dolphin 3.06 deployed image
> Windows 98 while running a java applet
> and another windows program called preferred trade 5.01 software.
>
> I am thinking someone is hosing up a dll somewhere because the problem
> goes away when he reboots.  but of course it is difficult to debug
> without seeing the system.
>
> How can i determine which DLL/memory whatever is crashing?
> Does the runtime produce a Dolphin.errors file or is it called
> something else? (i can't get my deployed image to crash).

Again you are testing my memory of Dolphin 3.x, but I think it used the VM
"crash dump" facility as the default way of logging errors (to see the
mechanism start browsing from SessionManager>>unhandledException:). You can
find further information about the crash dump facility here:
http://www.object-arts.com/wiki/html/Dolphin/CrashDump.htm

> of course i may have failed to do some registry step or something.

As far as I recall, you would need to create some registry settings for a
3.x application to write the crash dump to a file (as described on the wiki
page). Without those settings the dump just goes to the debug trace device.
In 4.x apps the errors are automatically logged to a file named after the
exe (and in the same directory), but with a .ERRORS extension.

Regards

Blair

Re: Help - DLL runtime error

Steve Geringer
Thanks Blair.

Also,  for your information...I was referred to a tool
called "Dependency Walker" from Microsoft. It maps all
the DLLs for your app and when you run it, it profiles
all the DLL calls, and highlights in red anything that
doesn't match up.  You can even save the "image" to a
file and presumably send it to someone else for debugging.

In fact, I learned that i didn't need DolphinCR993.dll
but I DID need DolphinDR993.DLL.  What is in that one?
My package never crashed but the Dependency Walker
showed many calls to it which were being made, and
apparently there is some exception handling going
on which recovers and tries something else.

Finally, FYI, there was an ACCESS VIOLATION on shutdown
of my deployed application.  The message was:

"Second chance exception 0xC0000005 (Access Violation) occurred in
"DOLPHINVM993.DLL" at address 0x00EA1AF2 by thread 2."

I can send this tool as a zip file if you like.

(Yeah, I Know I will need to upgrade soon)

Thanks,
Steve