Help Needed: Looking for projects to use in a study of transforming deprecations

Help Needed: Looking for projects to use in a study of transforming deprecations

Oleksandr Zaitsev
Hello,

I need your help to recommend some projects that I can use in my study of transforming deprecations.

As many of you know, Pharo supports a very powerful concept of "transforming" deprecations. You can deprecate a method, providing a transformation rule. Then when a client application calls the deprecated method, the call-site will be automatically rewritten to use the new API. Here is an example of a transforming deprecation:

Collection >> includesAllOf: values
  self
    deprecated: ‘Use #includesAll: instead’
    transformWith: ‘`@rec includesAllOf: `@arg’ ->
                   ‘`@rec includesAll: `@arg’.

  ^ self includesAll: values

You can read more about transforming deprecations in my blog post: https://blog.oleks.fr/deprewriter

I am working on a tool that can analyse the commit history of a project and recommend deprecations and transformation rules that can be inserted before the release. It works like this:

1. Collect all commits between two releases of a project
2. Mine those commits to identify method call replacements (deletions and additions) that happen frequently
3. Infer the mapping between the methods of the old and new API
4. Recommend deprecations and generate transformation rules

I have validated my approach on Pharo, Moose, Pillar, Famix, and DataFrame projects.

Now I am looking for other projects that could benefit from recommended deprecations and could be used in my study.

Required:
- open source project with accessible commit history (e.g. public git repository)
- written in Pharo (although if you know projects in other languages that could be interesting for my study, please let me know about them as well)

Prefered:
- ongoing development
- multiple releases
- has users (other projects that depend on it)

If you have some projects in mind, please let me know about them!

And if you are interested in this study and want to learn more, don't hesitate to contact me by email.

Oleksandr

Re: Help Needed: Looking for projects to use in a study of transforming deprecations

SergeStinckwich
I guess CORMAS project could benefit on that.
We have tons of methods we don’t know if they are still used, some are deprecated or not. A real mess 😊

Sent from my iPhone

On 6 Apr 2021, at 20:50, Oleksandr Zaitsev <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

gcotelli
We have several projects in the Buenos Aires Smalltalk group that can match (we provide in fact a migration package when breaking backward compatibility including transformation rules so you have a human benchmark to compare).
Here the ones with more history and releases:
Releases with changes in the major version are the ones breaking backward compatibility.

And if you want to test something with a massive amount of code try https://github.com/ba-st/HighchartsSt. It usually breaks all the tools given the size of the codebase.

Gabriel

On Tue, Apr 6, 2021 at 9:50 AM Oleksandr Zaitsev <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Richard O'Keefe
This sounds like a very nice tool.
Just a word about this particular example:
Collection >> includesAllOf: values
  self
    deprecated: ‘Use #includesAll: instead’
    transformWith: ‘`@rec includesAllOf: `@arg’ ->
                   ‘`@rec includesAll: `@arg’.

  ^ self includesAll: values
Surely this is back to front?  #includesAllOf: reads well and is
compatible with GNU Smalltalk (and classic Squeak), while #includesAll:
doesn't work in most of the Smalltalks I have access to.

My own library has
  {includes,excludes}{All,Any,None,One}Of:
which wouldn't read nearly so well without "Of".

On Wed, 7 Apr 2021 at 00:50, Oleksandr Zaitsev <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Sebastian Jordan
Hi Oleksandr,

Nice project! I don't have a project recommendation but maybe my project can be useful to you. One of the functionalities allows you to apply multiple transformation rules in a custom set of classes (or all classes in Pharo image).

Re: Help Needed: Looking for projects to use in a study of transforming deprecations

Oleksandr Zaitsev
gcotelli wrote
> We have several projects in the Buenos Aires Smalltalk group that can
> match
> (we provide in fact a migration package when breaking backward
> compatibility including transformation rules so you have a human benchmark
> to compare).

Thanks a lot Gabriel and Serge!
I will run my experiment of those projects

Re: Help Needed: Looking for projects to use in a study of transforming deprecations

Oleksandr Zaitsev
Richard O'Keefe wrote
> Surely this is back to front?  #includesAllOf: reads well and is
> compatible with GNU Smalltalk (and classic Squeak), while #includesAll:
> doesn't work in most of the Smalltalks I have access to.
>
> My own library has
>   {includes,excludes}{All,Any,None,One}Of:
> which wouldn't read nearly so well without "Of".

Yes, this makes sense!
I will fix that example

Thank you