Help: Object [object Object] has no method '_doesNotUnderstand_'

Help: Object [object Object] has no method '_doesNotUnderstand_'

Joel Turnbull-2

Very strange problem, hoping someone can help.

I can cold boot, cd into a freshly cloned amber directory, and ./bin/server. When I attempt to Try a class browser at localhost:4000/, Chrome console gives me...
I've been doing Amber dev on this machine for a couple weeks. The Object in question is of className "Recipe", which is a class I've created in the past, definitely didn't expect it to come into play here! In fact, I think it's long gone.

Is there something I don't understand about node.js? caching? I didn't clean something up properly?

Thanks,
Joel

Re: Help: Object [object Object] has no method '_doesNotUnderstand_'

XumuK

On 2 ноя, 07:54, Joel Turnbull <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Very strange problem, hoping someone can help.
>
> I can cold boot, cd into a freshly cloned amber directory, and
> ./bin/server. When I attempt to Try a class browser at localhost:4000/,
> Chrome console gives me...
>
>    - Uncaught TypeError: Object [object Object] has no method
>    '_doesNotUnderstand_'
>       - Smalltalk.sendWithContextboot.js:313<http://localhost:4000/js/boot.js?1320201945978>
>        - smalltalk.addMethod.smalltalk.method.fnIDE.js:1909<http://localhost:4000/js/IDE.js?1320201945978>
>        - (anonymous function)index.html:47<http://localhost:4000/index.html>
>        - onclickindex.html:48 <http://localhost:4000/index.html>
>
> I've been doing Amber dev on this machine for a couple weeks. The Object in
> question is of className "Recipe", which is a class I've created in the
> past, definitely didn't expect it to come into play here! In fact, I think
> it's long gone.
>
> Is there something I don't understand about node.js? caching? I didn't
> clean something up properly?
>
> Thanks,
> Joel

I have the same problem. I hope somebody help)

Re: Help: Object [object Object] has no method '_doesNotUnderstand_'

gokr
I will take a look when I get into work, this can perhaps be related to the fact that:

1. The exporter (fileout) exports whatever is loaded (independent of preceding filein)
2. The importer (filein) just overwrites, it does not remove all things in given package/class.
3. amberc imports and then exports, since import implies compilation.

Thus - if you introduce a class, and then remove it (or a method) it will be removed in st src, but can linger in js fileout! Not sure why it does not linger in st though.

This bug was discovered just a few days back and I/we haven't had time to fix it.

You can probably do surgery on js files to fix it.

Did you really say freshly cloned? Oh, hmmm. Then I am not sure, sorry for rambling. Did you clear chrome cache? I have noticed in another context that shift-reload does not always help.

regards, Göran

-- Sent from my Palm Pre 2, wohoo!

On Nov 2, 2011 4:54, Joel Turnbull <[hidden email]> wrote:

Very strange problem, hoping someone can help.

I can cold boot, cd into a freshly cloned amber directory, and ./bin/server. When I attempt to Try a class browser at localhost:4000/, Chrome console gives me...
I've been doing Amber dev on this machine for a couple weeks. The Object in question is of className "Recipe", which is a class I've created in the past, definitely didn't expect it to come into play here! In fact, I think it's long gone.

Is there something I don't understand about node.js? caching? I didn't clean something up properly?

Thanks,
Joel

Re: Help: Object [object Object] has no method '_doesNotUnderstand_'

pgregory
I hit this recently, I was playing and managed to get into a situation where the commit didn't work (missing js and st folders). When I subsequently rebooted Amber, I got that same error. I tried all sorts, including wiping any cached js stuff, and even wiping the entire repo and re-cloning. No joy, eventually it turned out I needed to, as suggested, wipe the Chrome recent activity.

Not sure if it helps, but I vaguely recall wiping the cache didn't fix it, but when I wiped cookies it did. Although that might be incorrect.

Cheers

Paul

Paul Gregory
http://www.aqsis.org

Re: Help: Object [object Object] has no method '_doesNotUnderstand_'

Joel Turnbull-2

Thanks guys.  Yeah Göran, freshly cloned is the strangest part. I'm sure that I've tried to clear the cache, but have not tried cookies yet. I did have this problem about a week ago and was able to get around it by just switching Safari, so the problem does point to the browser obviously. Now both browsers have the problem, so I have no choice but to address it this time :P

I'm surprised I didn't think to just try wiping more than the cache. Not at home now, will attempt later. Xumuk, if this works for you I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks,
Joel

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 4:05 AM, Paul Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://www.aqsis.org

Re: Help: Object [object Object] has no method '_doesNotUnderstand_'

Nicolas Petton
Did you commit using local storage?

Cheers,
Nico

On Wed, 2011-11-02 at 09:12 -0400, Joel Turnbull wrote:

> [...]
>                       * Uncaught TypeError: Object [object Object] has
>                         no method '_doesNotUnderstand_'
>                               * Smalltalk.sendWithContextboot.js:313
>                               * smalltalk.addMethod.smalltalk.method.fnIDE.js:1909
>                               * (anonymous function)index.html:47
>                               * onclickindex.html:48
>                 I've been doing Amber dev on this machine for a couple
>                 weeks. The Object in question is of className
>                 "Recipe", which is a class I've created in the past,
>                 definitely didn't expect it to come into play here! In
>                 fact, I think it's long gone.
>

>                 Is there something I don't understand about node.js?
>                 caching? I didn't clean something up properly?
>

>                 Thanks,
>                 Joel
>

>         --
>         Paul Gregory
>         http://www.aqsis.org

Re: Help: Object [object Object] has no method '_doesNotUnderstand_'

I don't think so. Didn't do anything differently than Getting Started suggests. The node server provided just commits to file, correct?

The last thing I was working on was pulling json from a local CouchDB instance. I believe it was fine when I went to bed, and was broken when my machine woke back up 24 hours later. I neglected to shut down the node server during that time, which made me think that node might have gotten corrupted somehow over time, or as it attempted to run as my machine was coming in and out of sleep. Just speculating...

Joel

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 9:23 AM, Nicolas Petton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>                       * Uncaught TypeError: Object [object Object] has
>                         no method '_doesNotUnderstand_'
>                               * Smalltalk.sendWithContextboot.js:313
>                               * smalltalk.addMethod.smalltalk.method.fnIDE.js:1909
>                               * (anonymous function)index.html:47
>                               * onclickindex.html:48
>                 I've been doing Amber dev on this machine for a couple
>                 weeks. The Object in question is of className
>                 "Recipe", which is a class I've created in the past,
>                 definitely didn't expect it to come into play here! In
>                 fact, I think it's long gone.
>

>                 Is there something I don't understand about node.js?
>                 caching? I didn't clean something up properly?
>

>                 Thanks,
>                 Joel
>

>         --
>         Paul Gregory
>         http://www.aqsis.org

Re: Help: Object [object Object] has no method '_doesNotUnderstand_'

It was cookies.

Joel

On 2 ноя, 16:23, Nicolas Petton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Did you commit using local storage?
>
> Cheers,
> Nico

Yes. I push "commit local" button? after that i have a problem.
Also i used Firefox, i thought that this problem in browser, then i
try use chrome, and after pushing 'commit local' i saw this message.

Uncaught TypeError: Object [object Object] has no method
'_doesNotUnderstand_'
Smalltalk.sendWithContextboot.js:313
smalltalk.addMethod.smalltalk.method.fnIDE.js:1909
(anonymous function)index.html:47
onclickindex.html:48

today i will try to clean up cookies and cash and i wrote about
results.
thanks.

Re: Help: Object [object Object] has no method '_doesNotUnderstand_'

Joel Turnbull-2

I just noticed the "Local" button for the first time last night. Interesting.

thanks.