[Help-Smalltalk] GNU Smalltalk Sprint

12

[Help-Smalltalk] GNU Smalltalk Sprint

MrGwen
Hi everybody,

Nicolas Petton on IRC has a wonderful idea: a GNU Smalltalk Sprint.
And we should discuss about the modality of the sprint:

  - when (before Christmas, after)
  - how much time (I think a week-end is nice)
  - where (France, Italy, ...)
  - and who (you can count me I am in ;)

Cheers,
Gwen

Re: GNU Smalltalk Sprint

Paolo Bonzini-2
On 10/13/2010 12:49 PM, Gwenaël Casaccio wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> Nicolas Petton on IRC has a wonderful idea: a GNU Smalltalk Sprint.
> And we should discuss about the modality of the sprint:
>
>    - when (before Christmas, after)
>    - how much time (I think a week-end is nice)

Yeah, or a friday-saturday during Christmas break.

>    - where (France, Italy, ...)

I think we can do it remotely using IRC to communicate.  We should also
advertise it to welcome newbies and make improved installation instructions.

Paolo

Re : [Help-Smalltalk] GNU Smalltalk Sprint

Mathieu Suen-2
> Envoyé le : Mer 13 octobre 2010, 13h 59min 02s
> Objet : Re: [Help-Smalltalk] GNU Smalltalk Sprint
>
> On 10/13/2010 12:49 PM, Gwenaël Casaccio wrote:
> > Hi  everybody,
> >
> > Nicolas Petton on IRC has a wonderful idea: a GNU  Smalltalk Sprint.
> > And we should discuss about the modality of the  sprint:
> >
> >    - when (before Christmas,  after)
> >    - how much time (I think a week-end is  nice)
>
> Yeah, or a friday-saturday during Christmas  break.
>
> >    - where (France, Italy, ...)
>
> I think we  can do it remotely using IRC to communicate.  We should also
> advertise  it to welcome newbies and make improved installation  instructions.
>
> Paolo

For the advertisement, we may use the wiki for a tempplate invtation that we can
copy past all over the place we want to.

-Mathieu Suen

Re: Re : [Help-Smalltalk] GNU Smalltalk Sprint

MrGwen
Hi,

I think we can do a french GST sprint, that will be very funny ;-)
And Paolo will be on IRC to communicate ;-)

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 4:17 PM, Mathieu Suen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

Re: Re : GNU Smalltalk Sprint

Paolo Bonzini-2
On 10/14/2010 10:40 AM, Gwenaël Casaccio wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think we can do a french GST sprint, that will be very funny;-)
> And Paolo will be on IRC to communicate;-)

If the French people want to get together that's great.  I'm sure Canol
and other people may want to join, though, so it should be distributed
by default.  I certainly prefer a more frequent / less expensive setting
for sprints.

Paolo

Re: Re : GNU Smalltalk Sprint

ZuLuuuuuu
Since my technical knowledge is pretty limited don't think about me much :)

Though I might join for a day and work on iyzi Forum. Or maybe  prepare the revised edition of the book ESUG wants from me, would one of those count?
Canol Gökel

Re: Re : GNU Smalltalk Sprint

Nicolas Petton
You can count on me too! ;)

Cheers,
Nico

Re: GNU Smalltalk Sprint

MrGwen
Hi everybody,

I've added a new page into the WIKI, so people can register
to the sprint : http://smalltalk.gnu.org/wiki/events

To answer Krishna and Canol the sprint is open to everybody.

Now we should decide for a date and a task list ;)

Cheers,
Gwen

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 2:06 PM, Krishna <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
> On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 5:29 PM, Paolo Bonzini <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 10/13/2010 12:49 PM, Gwenaël Casaccio wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi everybody,
>>>
>>> Nicolas Petton on IRC has a wonderful idea: a GNU Smalltalk Sprint.
>>> And we should discuss about the modality of the sprint:
>>>
>>>   - when (before Christmas, after)
>>>   - how much time (I think a week-end is nice)
>>
>> Yeah, or a friday-saturday during Christmas break.
>>
>>>   - where (France, Italy, ...)
>>
>> I think we can do it remotely using IRC to communicate.  We should also
>> advertise it to welcome newbies and make improved installation instructions.
>
> If there is an IRC window into the sprint I'll happily join in although I'll
> be a silent onlooker as I've been on the mailing list for almost a decade :)
> cheers,
>   --krishna
> --
> The programmer is fighting against the two most destructive forces in the
> universe: entropy and human stupidity.
>   --Damian Conway

Re: GNU Smalltalk Sprint

Nicolas Petton
Le vendredi 15 octobre 2010 à 16:00 +0200, Gwenaël Casaccio a écrit :
> Hi everybody,
>
> I've added a new page into the WIKI, so people can register
> to the sprint : http://smalltalk.gnu.org/wiki/events
>
> To answer Krishna and Canol the sprint is open to everybody.
>
> Now we should decide for a date and a task list ;)

For the tasks, I suggest to add one or two tasks for VisualGST.
Now we should decide what tasks we want for VisualGST ;)

Cheers,
Nico
--
Nicolas Petton
Objectfusion S.A.R.L.

Re: GNU Smalltalk Sprint

Nicolas Petton
What about:

- Fixing the compiler
http://smalltalk.gnu.org/project/issue/527

- Fixing gst-remote
http://smalltalk.gnu.org/project/issue/497
http://smalltalk.gnu.org/project/issue/496

Cheers,
Nico

Re: GNU Smalltalk Sprint

MrGwen
Improve the packages:

 - atomic loading
 - package builder

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 8:28 PM, Nicolas Petton
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> What about:
>
> - Fixing the compiler
> http://smalltalk.gnu.org/project/issue/527
>
> - Fixing gst-remote
> http://smalltalk.gnu.org/project/issue/497
> http://smalltalk.gnu.org/project/issue/496
>
> Cheers,
> Nico

Re: GNU Smalltalk Sprint

Stefan Schmiedl
On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 19:14:51 +0200
Nicolas Petton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For the tasks, I suggest to add one or two tasks for VisualGST.

Allow VisualGST to hook up to a headless gst like gst-remote
does. Just imagine how much fun working on a running Iliad app
you could have with this.

s.

Re: GNU Smalltalk Sprint

Nicolas Petton
Le samedi 16 octobre 2010 à 12:00 +0200, Stefan Schmiedl a écrit :
> Allow VisualGST to hook up to a headless gst like gst-remote
> does. Just imagine how much fun working on a running Iliad app
> you could have with this.

+1 (not sure it's should be on the top of the list but it's very cool
anyway)

Cheers,
Nico

Re: GNU Smalltalk Sprint

Paolo Bonzini-2
On 10/16/2010 12:18 PM, Nicolas Petton wrote:
>> >  Allow VisualGST to hook up to a headless gst like gst-remote
>> >  does. Just imagine how much fun working on a running Iliad app
>> >  you could have with this.
> +1 (not sure it's should be on the top of the list but it's very cool
> anyway)

True, it would really be cool.  You need some kind of RPC, basically, so
that would be the "real" task.

Paolo

Re: GNU Smalltalk Sprint

Mathieu Suen-2
On Oct 15, 2010, at 4:00 PM, Gwenaël Casaccio wrote:

> Now we should decide for a date and a task list ;)

Fixing the JIT
Fixing th gtk on OSX

        Mth

Re: GNU Smalltalk Sprint

MrGwen
For the jit there are two separate tasks:

 - fix the 32 bits jit (it seems that most of the bugs are process related)
 - port it to the 64 bits (it is broken)
 - pic

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 1:41 PM, Mathieu Suen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Oct 15, 2010, at 4:00 PM, Gwenaël Casaccio wrote:
>
>> Now we should decide for a date and a task list ;)
>

> Fixing the JIT
> Fixing th gtk on OSX

For GTK a way to improve the binding is to use gobject introspection to generate
the binding (look at my project on github)

Gwen

>        Mth

Re: GNU Smalltalk Sprint

Paolo Bonzini-2
On 10/16/2010 01:49 PM, Gwenaël Casaccio wrote:
> For the jit there are two separate tasks:
>
>   - fix the 32 bits jit (it seems that most of the bugs are process related)
>   - port it to the 64 bits (it is broken)

lightning is broken, it has to be updated.

>   - pic

PIC that actually improves performance can easily take a week or two
full time.

Paolo

Re: GNU Smalltalk Sprint

Dmitry Matveev
2010/10/16, Stefan Schmiedl <[hidden email]>:
> Allow VisualGST to hook up to a headless gst like gst-remote
> does. Just imagine how much fun working on a running Iliad app
> you could have with this.

Hey, I wanted to implement it as my bachelor thesis this year :)

Regards,
Dmitry

Re: GNU Smalltalk Sprint

Paolo Bonzini-2
On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 14:48, Dmitry Matveev <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 2010/10/16, Stefan Schmiedl <[hidden email]>:
>> Allow VisualGST to hook up to a headless gst like gst-remote
>> does. Just imagine how much fun working on a running Iliad app
>> you could have with this.
>
> Hey, I wanted to implement it as my bachelor thesis this year :)

You're more than welcome. :)

Paolo

Re: GNU Smalltalk Sprint

Paolo Bonzini-2
- a coverage tool (for method-coverage, it can be based on gst-profile)
- SUnit testcases for CObject and everything not currently covered