Help System

Torsten Bergmann
Again, in its current state Help System supports the two options:

 a) class comment/method comment for API help and
 b) topic structure mapped to the class hierarchy (CustomHelp books)

I understand all things said and we all have our points
about pros and cons. But hey, they are JUST two possible ways, nobody
forces you to use them. Since these two are in by default does not
mean you are limited to them.

The help system is flexible enough to ADDITIONALLY HANDLE VARIOUS OTHER
ways of describing the help contents. So YOU CAN DEFINE AND HAVE YOUR OWN
just by extending the help system itself.

After this discussion it looks like we all agree that it is a good
direction  to check out the pragma/builder approach too and see how far we can go here.

So please check out the code I attached to my last post. In this simple
example I've shown how you can extend the help system itself to support
other options - here a pragma/builder oriented way of describing the
help contents.

It is not complete but should give you an idea that you are not limited
to a) and b) ...

Bye
T.

Re: Help System

Stéphane Ducasse

On May 5, 2010, at 11:45 PM, Torsten Bergmann wrote:

> Again, in its current state Help System supports the two options:
>
> a) class comment/method comment for API help and
> b) topic structure mapped to the class hierarchy (CustomHelp books)
>
> I understand all things said and we all have our points
> about pros and cons. But hey, they are JUST two possible ways, nobody
> forces you to use them. Since these two are in by default does not
> mean you are limited to them.
>
> The help system is flexible enough to ADDITIONALLY HANDLE VARIOUS OTHER
> ways of describing the help contents. So YOU CAN DEFINE AND HAVE YOUR OWN
> just by extending the help system itself.

Yes this is why I integrate it :)

> After this discussion it looks like we all agree that it is a good
> direction  to check out the pragma/builder approach too and see how far we can go here.

Yes so I would like that we agree on the pragma as I mentioned in my previous mail
Then we start to tag/adapt some Unit tests and learn.

> So please check out the code I attached to my last post. In this simple
> example I've shown how you can extend the help system itself to support
> other options - here a pragma/builder oriented way of describing the
> help contents.
>
> It is not complete but should give you an idea that you are not limited
> to a) and b) ...
>
> Bye
> T.

Re: Help System

In addition to the story around tests,
Torsten do you think we could use book.pharo-project.org to populate the help?