Help fight Ebola by joining the Computing for Ebola Challenge

Help fight Ebola by joining the Computing for Ebola Challenge

SergeStinckwich
Hi all,

a hackathon will be organized from October 3rd to 10th worldwide in
order to help fighting Ebola
You could have more explanation here:
https://www.hackerleague.org/hackathons/computing-for-ebola-challenge

Some projets that might be interesting: visualization, analysis of
epidemiological data, educational materials, etc ...

I was wondering that maybe we could have a Moose/Pharo team for this hackathon ?
I could participated with two students from my team.
We are involved with the design of a domain-specific language for
epidemiology, called Kendrick:
https://github.com/UMMISCO/Kendrick

You have already seen the visualisations that we already done like the
following one:

https://www.facebook.com/ObjectProfile/photos/a.341189379300999.82969.340543479365589/704650679621532/?type=1

https://www.facebook.com/ObjectProfile/photos/a.341189379300999.82969.340543479365589/704304912989442/?type=1

https://www.facebook.com/ObjectProfile/photos/a.341189379300999.82969.340543479365589/703876539698946/?type=1

Anyone interested ?
--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)

Re: Help fight Ebola by joining the Computing for Ebola Challenge

abergel
Hi Serge,

How is it going? I am just back from some trips, I now have a bit of time.
How can we help?

Cheers,
Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Help fight Ebola by joining the Computing for Ebola Challenge

SergeStinckwich
We start this morning to work on Kendrick and Ebola models with Mai Anh.
We have a list of issues here: https://github.com/UMMISCO/Kendrick/issues
including visualisation issues.

Apparently there is a missing countries in RTSVGPath>>Gambia.
There is no Gambia country.

The same for RTMapBuilder>>countriesPopulation there is no Gambia population.

Thank you Alex.

http://bit.ly/1oEdBag

Re: Help fight Ebola by joining the Computing for Ebola Challenge

SergeStinckwich
Another problem with African countries :
in method RTSVGPath>>africa

Replace #'Equatorial Guinea' byt #EquatorialGuinea

Thank you.

--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Help fight Ebola by joining the Computing for Ebola Challenge
http://bit.ly/1oEdBag

Re: Help fight Ebola by joining the Computing for Ebola Challenge

abergel
Yeah… The SVG map description we have is very primitive and not accurate. It is useful for coarse information bit to be represented on a map. If now, if you need a stronger support for maps, then you should probably use the OpenStreetMap support.

Let us know how your exact need. If you can still work with the missing Gambian country, then fine. If no, then I can push some more effort on the OpenStreemap.

Cheers,
Alexandre

<[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 4:41 PM, Alexandre Bergel
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yeah… The SVG map description we have is very primitive and not accurate. It
> is useful for coarse information bit to be represented on a map. If now, if
> you need a stronger support for maps, then you should probably use the
> OpenStreetMap support.
>
> Let us know how your exact need. If you can still work with the missing
> Gambian country, then fine. If no, then I can push some more effort on the
> OpenStreemap.

At the moment, we don't need Gambia, so you could remove this country.
Sorry for Gambian in the mailing-list ;-)

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Help fight Ebola by joining the Computing for Ebola Challenge
http://bit.ly/1oEdBag

Re: Help fight Ebola by joining the Computing for Ebola Challenge

hernanmd
Serge if you need to map regions you could convert SHP from Natural Earth Data importing layers in QGis, then use plugin SimpleSVG to export to SVG, and finally parse the SVG path with XMLDOMParser.
Cheers,

Hernán

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yeah… The SVG map description we have is very primitive and not accurate. It
> is useful for coarse information bit to be represented on a map. If now, if
> you need a stronger support for maps, then you should probably use the
> OpenStreetMap support.
>
> Let us know how your exact need. If you can still work with the missing
> Gambian country, then fine. If no, then I can push some more effort on the
> OpenStreemap.

At the moment, we don't need Gambia, so you could remove this country.
Sorry for Gambian in the mailing-list ;-)

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Help fight Ebola by joining the Computing for Ebola Challenge
http://bit.ly/1oEdBag

Re: Help fight Ebola by joining the Computing for Ebola Challenge

kilon.alios
as always this Ebola thing has been blown completely out of proportions, don't people get tired of these things ?

I appreciate what you guys are doing but your efforts would be far more valuable with real threats like heart decease and cancer.

On Thu, Oct 9, 2014 at 2:13 PM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
> as always this Ebola thing has been blown completely out of proportions,
> don't people get tired of these things ?

We are far from finished with Ebola outbreak.

> I appreciate what you guys are doing but your efforts would be far more
> valuable with real threats like heart decease and cancer.

Yes, but we are working on epidemic modelling, so we are not concerned
with issues like cancer and heart attack.

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Help fight Ebola by joining the Computing for Ebola Challenge
http://bit.ly/1oEdBag

Re: Help fight Ebola by joining the Computing for Ebola Challenge

kilon.alios

We are far from finished with Ebola outbreak.

And Ebola is ever further , if it ever manages, from being a substantial threat to human kind

Yes, but we are working on epidemic modelling, so we are not concerned
with issues like cancer and heart attack.

Working as you are paid for it ? If yes then please by all means go on. I am not against anyone working on rare problems, rare problems do matter and of course I hope a cure is found to this awful disease that claimed thousands of lives as well to any disease  that kills people worldwide.

Re: Help fight Ebola by joining the Computing for Ebola Challenge

philippeback
I'd add that an exponential is hard to see for most people.
What looks small may indeed grow fast.

Phil

On Thu, Oct 9, 2014 at 2:20 PM, Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 9, 2014 at 2:13 PM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
> as always this Ebola thing has been blown completely out of proportions,
> don't people get tired of these things ?

We are far from finished with Ebola outbreak.

> I appreciate what you guys are doing but your efforts would be far more
> valuable with real threats like heart decease and cancer.

Yes, but we are working on epidemic modelling, so we are not concerned
with issues like cancer and heart attack.

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Help fight Ebola by joining the Computing for Ebola Challenge
http://bit.ly/1oEdBag

Re: Help fight Ebola by joining the Computing for Ebola Challenge

kilon.alios
I can't say I had a hard time predicting the exponential growth of paranoia the moment I heard in the news about Ebola. Bird flue anyone ? Afterall Ebola was very popular as a disease even before this "outbreak". Maybe we should worry about Ebola but then first we will need to handle over a billion things that are out to get us even before Eboal and are as deadly and way more efficient.

I can even see a vaccine been created and sold to billions of people worldwide. Afterall this is how this rolls usually.

Just saying.