Help for SUnit, Packages and Seaside

Holger Freyther
Hi All,

I need some basic/beginner help for using GNU Smalltalk. I want to enable the
Halo's of Seaside and I ran into an error. The halo's use Compiler features
not in the default kernel of GNU Smalltalk. So I was loading the "Compiler"
package and now my error is a bit different.

Now I have a couple of beginner questions and I would be very happy to receive
some hints and then poke that stuff a bit more.

        - Packages and SUnit. How do I run the Seaside tests? I'm not really
sure how to use gst-suinit to run all tests, gst-load takes a -t option but
does not seem to run tests? So what is the best way to run the SUnit tests of
Seaside?

        - FileStream fileIn: and namespaces. In an attempt to load the test cases
I was using FileStream fileIn: to load the Seaside-*-Test.st files but it mostly
fails because most symbols are in the Seaside namespace. Is there a selector
that I can specifiy a target namespace?

        So something like: FileStream fileIn: 'Seaside-Tests.st' withNamespace:
'Seaside'?

        - Is there any goal to update the Seaside version inside the GNU
smalltalk?

thanks a lot
        holger

Re: Help for SUnit, Packages and Seaside

Holger Freyther
On Friday 19 March 2010 06:18:51 Holger Hans Peter Freyther wrote:

> - FileStream fileIn: and namespaces. In an attempt to load the test cases
> I was using FileStream fileIn: to load the Seaside-*-Test.st files but it
> mostly fails because most symbols are in the Seaside namespace. Is there a
> selector that I can specifiy a target namespace?
>
> So something like: FileStream fileIn: 'Seaside-Tests.st' withNamespace:
> 'Seaside'?

        Okay, I was trying to read PkgLoader.st. So I can do Namespace current:
Seaside, then load and then switch back to smalltalk.. Is there something
better?

Re: Help for SUnit, Packages and Seaside

Paolo Bonzini-2
On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 06:31, Holger Hans Peter Freyther
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Friday 19 March 2010 06:18:51 Holger Hans Peter Freyther wrote:
>
>>       - FileStream fileIn: and namespaces. In an attempt to load the test cases
>> I was using FileStream fileIn: to load the Seaside-*-Test.st files but it
>> mostly fails because most symbols are in the Seaside namespace. Is there a
>> selector that I can specifiy a target namespace?
>>
>>       So something like: FileStream fileIn: 'Seaside-Tests.st' withNamespace:
>> 'Seaside'?
>
>        Okay, I was trying to read PkgLoader.st. So I can do Namespace current:
> Seaside, then load and then switch back to smalltalk.. Is there something
> better?

(PackageLoader packageAt: 'Seaside') test fileIn

(or something like that, everybody -- feel free to correct me).

Re: Help for SUnit, Packages and Seaside

Paolo Bonzini-2
On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 06:18, Holger Hans Peter Freyther
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I need some basic/beginner help for using GNU Smalltalk. I want to enable the
> Halo's of Seaside and I ran into an error. The halo's use Compiler features
> not in the default kernel of GNU Smalltalk. So I was loading the "Compiler"
> package and now my error is a bit different.

This should be done automatically by PackageLoader.

>        - Packages and SUnit. How do I run the Seaside tests? I'm not really
> sure how to use gst-suinit to run all tests, gst-load takes a -t option but
> does not seem to run tests? So what is the best way to run the SUnit tests of
> Seaside?

gst-sunit -pSeaside

>        - Is there any goal to update the Seaside version inside the GNU
> smalltalk?

Nicolas Petton started working on Grease, I'll take a look when 3.0 is
out or when I'm less busy at work.

Or if you're a student, Google Summer of Code is coming...

Paolo

On Saturday 20 March 2010 08:11:51 you wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 06:18, Holger Hans Peter Freyther

> This should be done automatically by PackageLoader.

How? There should be a <prereq>Compiler</prereq> in a package.xml? git
grep didn't find any such occurrence. Am I too blind?

> >        - Packages and SUnit. How do I run the Seaside tests? I'm not
> > really sure how to use gst-suinit to run all tests, gst-load takes a -t
> > option but does not seem to run tests? So what is the best way to run
> > the SUnit tests of Seaside?
>
> gst-sunit -pSeaside

ah thanks, I have also found gst-package --test package.xml to be nice. Is
there any kind of documentation for best practices on development? I see that
we do have Behavior edit: aSelector that opens up emacs. But I wonder how we
deal with SUnit test failures.. more below.

> >        - Is there any goal to update the Seaside version inside the GNU
> > smalltalk?
>
> Nicolas Petton started working on Grease, I'll take a look when 3.0 is
> out or when I'm less busy at work.

I saw his Grease git repository on GitHub and cloned it before reading your
email. Right now I tried to write a String capitalized selector but the test
case is still failing as the test case is using german umlaute and that is not
part of the Charachter LookupTable...

Re: Help for SUnit, Packages and Seaside

Nicolas Petton

Grease is not ready to use yet. Currently many tests fail, as I just
imported code without really porting it, but I should have some time
next week to work on that :)

Cheers!

Nico

On Sunday 21 March 2010 21:58:57 Nicolas Petton wrote:
> Grease is not ready to use yet. Currently many tests fail, as I just
> imported code without really porting it, but I should have some time
> next week to work on that :)

Awesome, I cloned your repository and use that as an oppurtunity to improve my
Smalltalk knowledge. The below is an application of capitalized that makes us
pass some more tests, I will attempt to make GST pass the GRStringTests this
week.

The patch is still work in progress, e.g. the GRStringTests >>
testCapitalizedUmlauts will require us to either change the default encoding
to latin1, or play with some tricks like converting the String to a
UnicodeString in case the first charachter looks like a UTF-8 symbol.

regards
        holger

capitalized_test.patch (1014 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Help for SUnit, Packages and Seaside

Nicolas Petton
Le lundi 22 mars 2010 à 00:36 +0100, Holger Hans Peter Freyther a
écrit :
> On Sunday 21 March 2010 21:58:57 Nicolas Petton wrote:
> > Grease is not ready to use yet. Currently many tests fail, as I just
> > imported code without really porting it, but I should have some time
> > next week to work on that :)
>
> Awesome, I cloned your repository and use that as an oppurtunity to improve my
> Smalltalk knowledge. The below is an application of capitalized that makes us
> pass some more tests, I will attempt to make GST pass the GRStringTests this
> week.

Sorry, my master branch was ahead of the github repo by 3 commits...

I pushed a simpler version of String>>capitalized.
http://github.com/NicolasPetton/Grease/blob/master/Core/Extensions.st

capitalized [
    <category: '*Grease-GST-Core'>
        | capitalized |
        self isEmpty ifTrue: [^self].
        capitalized := self copy.
        capitalized at: 1 put: (self at: 1) asUppercase.
        ^capitalized
    ]

Cheers!

Nico

On Monday 22 March 2010 03:45:23 you wrote:

> > Awesome, I cloned your repository and use that as an oppurtunity to
> > improve my Smalltalk knowledge. The below is an application of
> > capitalized that makes us pass some more tests, I will attempt to make
> > GST pass the GRStringTests this week.
>
> Sorry, my master branch was ahead of the github repo by 3 commits...

Sure,

I have some questions. Didn't you need to provide a capitalized for Symbol as
well? I needed it to make it pass the tests. The other thing is more generic.
I downloaded the Ansi Smalltalk draft and it does not appear to have a
definition of capitalized. How do we find out about the semantic of that method?
Do we look at squeak/pharo? do we just provide anything to make the test pass?

z.

Re: Help for SUnit, Packages and Seaside

Paolo Bonzini-2
> I have some questions. Didn't you need to provide a capitalized for Symbol as
> well? I needed it to make it pass the tests. The other thing is more generic.
> I downloaded the Ansi Smalltalk draft and it does not appear to have a
> definition of capitalized. How do we find out about the semantic of that method?
> Do we look at squeak/pharo? do we just provide anything to make the test pass?

Anything that makes the test pass.  The test is the definition.

Regarding umlauts, I'm going to ask on the seaside-dev list if they
are really needed.

Paolo

Re: Help for SUnit, Packages and Seaside

Nicolas Petton
Le lundi 22 mars 2010 à 05:47 +0100, Holger Hans Peter Freyther a
écrit :

> On Monday 22 March 2010 03:45:23 you wrote:
>
> > > Awesome, I cloned your repository and use that as an oppurtunity to
> > > improve my Smalltalk knowledge. The below is an application of
> > > capitalized that makes us pass some more tests, I will attempt to make
> > > GST pass the GRStringTests this week.
> >
> > Sorry, my master branch was ahead of the github repo by 3 commits...
>
> Sure,
>
> I have some questions. Didn't you need to provide a capitalized for Symbol as
> well?
Yes I did.

Cheers,

Nico