Help for Windows 8

Lorenzo
Hi,

unfortunately I am completelly ignorant about Unix, but I would like to install Amber in Windows 8.
Is there any easy way to do it without using Unix line comands?

Many thanks

Lorenzo

Re: Help for Windows 8

Herby Vojčík

[hidden email] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> unfortunately I am completelly ignorant about Unix, but I would like

It has nothing to do with UNIX. ???

> to install Amber in Windows 8.
> Is there any easy way to do it without using Unix line comands?

If you mean command-line, no, there is no easy way without using command-line. Command-line allows for very flexible things, that's why developers like to use it, unlike premade windowing applications, which only allow what is programmed in them. Starting Command Prompt and issuing a few lines is something you should be able to do, so just overcome your fear of it.

This list of commands you should run is outlined directly in the github README (the node installer is windowing, the rest is command-line, by design, as its very easy to update / tweak it).

> Many thanks
>
> Lorenzo

Herby

Re: Help for Windows 8

Hannes Hirzel

> unfortunately I am completelly ignorant about Unix, but I would like to
> install Amber in Windows 8.

I suggest that you install

http://msysgit.github.io/

Git SCM to Windows

(easy regular MSWindows installation)

> Is there any easy way to do it without using Unix line comands?

msysgit gives you a command line window (bash shell).

With very few commands in this window you will get Amber up and running.

Please check out the documentation and do not hesitate to ask
questions here. The documentation needs to be updated and this is most
easly done if somebody points out areas which are not clear.

Start here

http://docs.amber-lang.net/

HTH

Hannes

P.S. To get started you do not need to install anything. Just use the
version in www..amber-lang.net/

Re: Help for Windows 8

Herby Vojčík

H. Hirzel wrote:

> On 7/2/14, [hidden email]<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> unfortunately I am completelly ignorant about Unix, but I would like to
>> install Amber in Windows 8.
>
> I suggest that you install
>
> http://msysgit.github.io/
>
> Git SCM to Windows
>
> (easy regular MSWindows installation)

I updated the README. Now it says git is needed as well (not just node
and npm), and gives very brief instructions for Git for Windows.

> msysgit gives you a command line window (bash shell).

There is no need to use Git Bash. All the installation commands work
well (and I recommend running them in) the plain Windows' Command Prompt.

> With very few commands in this window you will get Amber up and running.

> Hannes

Herby