Help me on Squeak

Pedro Pereira-4
Greetings,

It must be me... I started in squeak today, and have been the last 5 hours (maybe a little more) trying to understand it. I am just tired and going nowere :-(

Who can help me, please,  in a very small and simple project in squeak?

I can send what I have made and maybe someone can please help on the rest?

Thanks... all the way from Portugal

·´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ Pedro Amorim Pereira -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´-:¦:- [hidden email]

Diversão em dobro: compartilhe fotos enquanto conversa usando o Windows Live Messenger.

Re: Help me on Squeak

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Pedro Pereira

>Greetings,
>It must be me... I started in squeak today, and have been the last 5 hours
>(maybe a little more) trying to understand it. I am just tired and going
>nowere :-(
>Who can help me, please,  in a very small and simple project in squeak?

This sounds like it may be a request for help with a school project, if so,
we try not to do projects for students, if it isn't, my apologies.  At any
rate, if you can formulate a more specific question, I'm sure someone will
try to answer it.

Lou

>I can send what I have made and maybe someone can please help on the rest?
>Thanks... all the way from Portugal
>

>·´¨¨)) -:¦:-
>¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
>((¸¸.·´ ..·´ Pedro Amorim Pereira -:¦:-
>-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´-:¦:- [hidden email]

>Windows Live Messenger. O melhor em multitarefa.
>http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowslive/products/messenger.aspx

Re: Help me on Squeak

Mark Volkmann
On Mar 11, 2009, at 1:55 PM, Pedro Pereira wrote:

Greetings,

It must be me... I started in squeak today, and have been the last 5 hours (maybe a little more) trying to understand it. I am just tired and going nowere :-(

Who can help me, please,  in a very small and simple project in squeak?

I can send what I have made and maybe someone can please help on the rest?

When I was learning Squeak, I took lots of notes and put them here.
Maybe you'll find them helpful.

Re: Help me on Squeak

Michael van der Gulik-2

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 7:55 AM, Pedro Pereira <[hidden email]> wrote:
Greetings,

It must be me... I started in squeak today, and have been the last 5 hours (maybe a little more) trying to understand it. I am just tired and going nowere :-(

Who can help me, please,  in a very small and simple project in squeak?

I can send what I have made and maybe someone can please help on the rest?

Thanks... all the way from Portugal

Hi Pedro.

Squeak is a very powerful programming environment. It originally took me 6 months to become proficient in the environment, and this is with a computer science degree.

I understand from your previous email that you want to do a multimedia presentation of some sort. I would recommend looking at http://www.squeakland.org/, where you don't need to know much about programming to get good results.

Gulik.

--
http://gulik.pbwiki.com/

Re: Help me on Squeak

Antonio Moreno
Hi Pedro,

Perhaps you can look at:
http://squeak.educarex.es/Squeakpolis/19

greetings

El mié, 11-03-2009 a las 18:55 +0000, Pedro Pereira escribió:
Greetings,

It must be me... I started in squeak today, and have been the last 5 hours (maybe a little more) trying to understand it. I am just tired and going nowere :-(

Who can help me, please,  in a very small and simple project in squeak?

I can send what I have made and maybe someone can please help on the rest?

Thanks... all the way from Portugal

·´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ Pedro Amorim Pereira -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´-:¦:- [hidden email]

Diversão em dobro: compartilhe fotos enquanto conversa usando o Windows Live Messenger.

Re: Help me on Squeak

Markus Gälli-3
Hi

(Enno sent me the project, but I couldn't load it, neither in 3.8 nor
in the actual squeakland image.
You normally want to use the squeakland.org version when playing with
etoys, but I understand that there is another fork in Spain from
Diego, so which image is it based on? Where would I find it?)

>   I want to move a small picture called bolo (cake) to the mouth...
> than
>   it would stop there for 1 minute,

As far as I know you need to program the "wait for n seconds"
yourself. :-/
Sth. along the lines of storing the number of seconds in a text (or
variable), counting down by one each second (script is ticking), and
starting the next script, when done. (take care with the difference
between startScript and do in the scripting category,
the former runs the other script once, the latter makes the other
script ticking!)

Moving itself can be done easily by "move toward" in the motion
category.

Have fun,

Markus

Am 11.03.2009 um 22:27 schrieb antonio:

> Hi Pedro,
>
> Perhaps you can look at:
> http://squeak.educarex.es/Squeakpolis/19
>
> greetings
>

> El mié, 11-03-2009 a las 18:55 +0000, Pedro Pereira escribió:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> It must be me... I started in squeak today, and have been the last
>> 5 hours (maybe a little more) trying to understand it. I am just
>> tired and going nowere :-(
>>
>> Who can help me, please,  in a very small and simple project in
>> squeak?
>>
>> I can send what I have made and maybe someone can please help on
>> the rest?
>>
>> Thanks... all the way from Portugal
>>

>> ·´¨¨)) -:¦:-
>> ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
>> ((¸¸.·´ ..·´ Pedro Amorim Pereira -:¦:-
>> -:¦:- ((¸¸.·´-:¦:- [hidden email]
>>

>> Diversão em dobro: compartilhe fotos enquanto conversa usando o
>> Windows Live Messenger.

Re: Help me on Squeak

Steinar Bang

> It must be me... I started in squeak today, and have been the last 5
> hours (maybe a little more) trying to understand it. I am just tired
> and going nowere :-(

> Who can help me, please,  in a very small and simple project in squeak?

Not squeak directly, but squeak eToys.  I found this tutorial very
helpful:
        http://billkerr2.blogspot.com/2007/11/making-pong-in-etoys.html

The parts I struggled with, were:
 1. How to create different objects, such as the paddle, the ball, and
    the boundary
 2. how to create scripts
 3. when I figured out how to create scripts, how to add assignment
    tiles to them

The answer for how to create the ball, paddle and boundary, are:
 - Click on the "Supplies" button on the top toolbar
 - Drag and drop an ellipse (for the ball), or a rectangle (for the
   paddle and the boundary), and drop them on the playground
 - Right click the dropped object to display handles on the object
 - Left click the resize handle (yellow handle in the lower right) and
   give the objects the correct shape

The answer to "how to create scripts", is:
 - Right click the object you want to create a script on (ball, paddle
   or boundary), this will display a lot of different handles
 - Click on the eye handle (middle left), this will open the viewer on
   the object
 - Give the object the name they should have in the viewer (ie. "ball"
   or "paddle" or "boundary")
 - Left click on the green bar below "Search" and select the Scripts
   category
 - Drag and drop "empty script" on the background

It's now possible to give the script content by dragging and dropping
things from the categories in the viewer, and dropping them on the
bottom of the script.

Note that the script is a Smalltalk method, and you can view the
Smalltalk source.

The answer for "how to add assignment" tiles (like e.g. setting the
ball's heading), is that one should click on the assignment arrow before
dragging and dropping on the script (I got immediate help for this, when
I asked on this list).

- Steinar

Re: Re: Help me on Squeak

Bert Freudenberg
On 12.03.2009, at 10:26, Steinar Bang wrote:

>> Who can help me, please,  in a very small and simple project in
>> squeak?
>
> Not squeak directly, but squeak eToys.  I found this tutorial very
> helpful:
> http://billkerr2.blogspot.com/2007/11/making-pong-in-etoys.html

That's the spirit! Newbies helping newbies :) Thanks!

- Bert -

Re: Re: Help me on Squeak

cedreek
squeak by example can help too...  (http://squeakbyexample.org/)
Not for etoys but for squeak as a dev environment in general...

good luck and welcome Pedro ;)

2009/3/12 Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>:

>>> Who can help me, please,  in a very small and simple project in squeak?
>>
>> Not squeak directly, but squeak eToys.  I found this tutorial very
>> helpful:
>>        http://billkerr2.blogspot.com/2007/11/making-pong-in-etoys.html
>

> That's the spirit! Newbies helping newbies :) Thanks!
>
> - Bert -

Cédrick

RE: Re: Help me on Squeak

Pedro Pereira-4
Uau...

Thank you :-)
That tuturial it's very good for what  want. Has soon has I leave the store I'll try it :-)

Do you know other good pages to learn the basics. I know there are some like squeak by example... but I think there's a little something missing there! I just don't understand some stuff!
I'll have to install the English version so it will be easy for me :-)

Thank you

Pedro Pereira

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Newbies] Re: Help me on Squeak
> Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 11:30:58 +0100

> >> Who can help me, please, in a very small and simple project in
> >> squeak?
> >
> > Not squeak directly, but squeak eToys. I found this tutorial very
> > helpful:
> > http://billkerr2.blogspot.com/2007/11/making-pong-in-etoys.html
>

> That's the spirit! Newbies helping newbies :) Thanks!
>
> - Bert -

Re: Re: Help me on Squeak

Josef Vukovic-3

2009/3/12 Pedro Pereira <[hidden email]>
Uau...

Thank you :-)
That tuturial it's very good for what  want. Has soon has I leave the store I'll try it :-)

Do you know other good pages to learn the basics. I know there are some like squeak by example... but I think there's a little something missing there! I just don't understand some stuff!
I'll have to install the English version so it will be easy for me :-)

Thank you

Pedro Pereira

Hello,

I am actually working with:

BostInc, Laser game tutorial, and the mentioned SBE there are lots of smalltalk books available for download ( among them is the adele goldberg blue book which is one of the inventor of smalltalk)
And there is a squeak chat room on freenode for chating about squeak. :-)

What do you sell in the shop? Hopefully electronics articles like osciloskopes, dmm's, small robots etc ... as I am hardware enthusiast :-)