Help me understanding Pillar

Damir Majer
Hi NG,

please help me understand the Pillar Project. Here are my questions and assumptions:
1) Pillar is a markup language derived from piercms with an wiki-like dsl language
2) Is it a pharo pendant to markup?
3) Is it possible to import normal markup to generate pillar?
4) What is the goal of Pillar? (at mid- or long-term to establish something similar like gitbook? maybe pillarbook? )
5) ... something else what is necessary to understand pillars future ;-)

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Best regards,
Damir

Damir Majer
... be agile: www.majcon.de

Re: Help me understanding Pillar

Ben Coman
On Sat, Sep 26, 2015 at 6:00 PM, Damir Majer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi NG,
>
> please help me understand the Pillar Project. Here are my questions and
> assumptions:
> 1) Pillar is a markup language derived from piercms with an wiki-like dsl
> language

yes

> 2) Is it a pharo pendant to markup?

Could you expand this question. The use of the term "pendant" here is not clear.

> 3) Is it possible to import normal markup to generate pillar?

I probably don't know the answer anyway, but can you better define "normal" ?

cheers -ben

> 4) What is the goal of Pillar? (at mid- or long-term to establish something
> similar like gitbook? maybe pillarbook? )
> 5) ... something else what is necessary to understand pillars future ;-)
>
> Thanks in advance for your replies.
>
> Best regards,
> Damir

Re: Help me understanding Pillar

Damien Cassou-2

Damir Majer <[hidden email]> writes:

> 1) Pillar is a markup language derived from piercms with an wiki-like
> dsl language

correct

> 3) Is it possible to import normal markup to generate pillar?

there is a Pillar document model: classes that model documents. There is
also a pillar exporter that takes an instance of this model and generate
a Pillar markup text file. If you have a parser producing instances of
the model, you can generate pillar markup. There is markdown parser
already but work needs to be done to instantiate the Pillar model from markdown.

> 4) What is the goal of Pillar? (at mid- or long-term to establish something
> similar like gitbook? maybe pillarbook? )

the goal of Pillar is to write documentation and books in the Pharo
world. We are already quite successful at that:

           https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/view/Books/

There are plenty of other use-cases (e.g., marina cms, pillarhub,
ecstatic, pier cms...):

https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/EnterprisePharoBook/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/book-result/PillarChap/Pillar.html

> 5) ... something else what is necessary to understand pillars future ;-)

ask questions on the mailing list :-)

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill

Re: Help me understanding Pillar

Damir Majer
Hi Damien,

thanks for clarifying Pillar!

Cheers,
Damir

Damien Cassou-2 wrote
Damir Majer <[hidden email]> writes:

> 1) Pillar is a markup language derived from piercms with an wiki-like
> dsl language

correct