Help menu disappeared [WAS] [ANN] Pharo-1.1-11400-rc1dev10.06.1

Help menu disappeared [WAS] [ANN] Pharo-1.1-11400-rc1dev10.06.1

Mariano Martinez Peck

2010/6/14 laurent laffont <[hidden email]>
On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 11:19 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi folks. There is a new Pharo 1.1 rc2 image for beta testing. It is based in PharoCore rc2 11400.

Help menu is gone ?

Thanks for reporting. Yes, it seems to have disappeared. I have just checked in PharoCore 11400 and it is not there neither. So, it is not "Dev" fault at least.

Maybe re integrate it ?

Cheers

Mariano

Laurent Laffont

http://pharocasts.blogspot.com/
http://magaloma.blogspot.com/

A little remark is that this is the first release candidate, not the second one. There was a problem when building the PharoCore rc1 and thus, we used PharoCore RC2. To be concistent we call it Pharo 1.1 rc2 to this image.

We are getting closer to the stable release of Pharo 1.1 so we would really appreaciate any kind of feedback. Use it, load your packages and applications, run tests, etc.

The download link is: https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/27159/Pharo-1.1-11400-rc2dev10.06.1.zip

Cheers

Mariano

Re: Help menu disappeared [WAS] [ANN] Pharo-1.1-11400-rc1dev10.06.1

Stéphane Ducasse
this is in system>help
because we do not want a long menu and the help got in our way several times.

Stef

On Jun 14, 2010, at 10:21 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> 2010/6/14 laurent laffont <[hidden email]>
> On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 11:19 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi folks. There is a new Pharo 1.1 rc2 image for beta testing. It is based in PharoCore rc2 11400.
>
> Help menu is gone ?
>
> Thanks for reporting. Yes, it seems to have disappeared. I have just checked in PharoCore 11400 and it is not there neither. So, it is not "Dev" fault at least.
>
> Was fixed in http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2442
>
> Maybe re integrate it ?
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano
>

> Laurent Laffont
>

> http://pharocasts.blogspot.com/
> http://magaloma.blogspot.com/
>

> A little remark is that this is the first release candidate, not the second one. There was a problem when building the PharoCore rc1 and thus, we used PharoCore RC2. To be concistent we call it Pharo 1.1 rc2 to this image.
>
> We are getting closer to the stable release of Pharo 1.1 so we would really appreaciate any kind of feedback. Use it, load your packages and applications, run tests, etc.
>
> The download link is: https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/27159/Pharo-1.1-11400-rc2dev10.06.1.zip
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano

Re: Help menu disappeared [WAS] [ANN] Pharo-1.1-11400-rc1dev10.06.1

laurent laffont
On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 10:25 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
this is in system>help
because we do not want a long menu and the help got in our way several times.

I understand we need to be careful about long menus, but I vote for having a help menu. Anyway, if you decide to reintegrate it, the slice is in inbox: SLICE-Issue-2442-RestoreHelpMenu-LaurentLaffont.1

Cheers,

Laurent.

Stef

On Jun 14, 2010, at 10:21 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> 2010/6/14 laurent laffont <[hidden email]>
> On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 11:19 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi folks. There is a new Pharo 1.1 rc2 image for beta testing. It is based in PharoCore rc2 11400.
>
> Help menu is gone ?
>
> Thanks for reporting. Yes, it seems to have disappeared. I have just checked in PharoCore 11400 and it is not there neither. So, it is not "Dev" fault at least.
>
> Was fixed in http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2442
>
> Maybe re integrate it ?
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano
>

> Laurent Laffont
>

> http://pharocasts.blogspot.com/
> http://magaloma.blogspot.com/
>

> A little remark is that this is the first release candidate, not the second one. There was a problem when building the PharoCore rc1 and thus, we used PharoCore RC2. To be concistent we call it Pharo 1.1 rc2 to this image.
>
> We are getting closer to the stable release of Pharo 1.1 so we would really appreaciate any kind of feedback. Use it, load your packages and applications, run tests, etc.
>
> The download link is: https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/27159/Pharo-1.1-11400-rc2dev10.06.1.zip
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano

Re: Help menu disappeared [WAS] [ANN] Pharo-1.1-11400-rc1dev10.06.1

Mariano Martinez Peck

2010/6/14 laurent laffont <[hidden email]>
On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 10:25 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
this is in system>help
because we do not want a long menu and the help got in our way several times.

I understand we need to be careful about long menus, but I vote for having a help menu.

me too. +1
Help menu is standard, useful and user friendy.
Every app in the world has a Help menu.

Anyway, if you decide to reintegrate it, the slice is in inbox: SLICE-Issue-2442-RestoreHelpMenu-LaurentLaffont.1

Cheers,

Laurent.

Stef

On Jun 14, 2010, at 10:21 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> 2010/6/14 laurent laffont <[hidden email]>
> On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 11:19 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi folks. There is a new Pharo 1.1 rc2 image for beta testing. It is based in PharoCore rc2 11400.
>
> Help menu is gone ?
>
> Thanks for reporting. Yes, it seems to have disappeared. I have just checked in PharoCore 11400 and it is not there neither. So, it is not "Dev" fault at least.
>
> Was fixed in http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2442
>
> Maybe re integrate it ?
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano
>

> Laurent Laffont
>

> http://pharocasts.blogspot.com/
> http://magaloma.blogspot.com/
>

> A little remark is that this is the first release candidate, not the second one. There was a problem when building the PharoCore rc1 and thus, we used PharoCore RC2. To be concistent we call it Pharo 1.1 rc2 to this image.
>
> We are getting closer to the stable release of Pharo 1.1 so we would really appreaciate any kind of feedback. Use it, load your packages and applications, run tests, etc.
>
> The download link is: https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/27159/Pharo-1.1-11400-rc2dev10.06.1.zip
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano

Re: Help menu disappeared [WAS] [ANN] Pharo-1.1-11400-rc1dev10.06.1

Stéphane Ducasse
Guys

this is already a menu!
this is a menu with only one item right now. so we think that this it is good where it is.

Stef

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 11:36 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Guys

this is already a menu!
this is a menu with only one item right now. so we think that this it is good where it is.

??

There are three items for me:
- Help Browser
- ProfStef Browser
- Welcome Workspace

(although in PharoCore there is only one item)

Laurent

Stef
On Jun 14, 2010, at 11:16 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> 2010/6/14 laurent laffont <[hidden email]>
> On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 10:25 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> this is in system>help
> because we do not want a long menu and the help got in our way several times.
>
> I understand we need to be careful about long menus, but I vote for having a help menu.
>
> me too. +1
> Help menu is standard, useful and user friendy.
> Every app in the world has a Help menu.
>
> Anyway, if you decide to reintegrate it, the slice is in inbox: SLICE-Issue-2442-RestoreHelpMenu-LaurentLaffont.1
>
> Cheers,
>
> Laurent.
>

> Stef
>
> On Jun 14, 2010, at 10:21 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>

> > 2010/6/14 laurent laffont <[hidden email]>
> > On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 11:19 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi folks. There is a new Pharo 1.1 rc2 image for beta testing. It is based in PharoCore rc2 11400.
> >
> > Help menu is gone ?
> >
> > Thanks for reporting. Yes, it seems to have disappeared. I have just checked in PharoCore 11400 and it is not there neither. So, it is not "Dev" fault at least.
> >
> > Was fixed in http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2442
> >
> > Maybe re integrate it ?
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Mariano
> >

> > Laurent Laffont
> >

> > http://pharocasts.blogspot.com/
> > http://magaloma.blogspot.com/
> >

> > A little remark is that this is the first release candidate, not the second one. There was a problem when building the PharoCore rc1 and thus, we used PharoCore RC2. To be concistent we call it Pharo 1.1 rc2 to this image.
> >
> > We are getting closer to the stable release of Pharo 1.1 so we would really appreaciate any kind of feedback. Use it, load your packages and applications, run tests, etc.
> >
> > The download link is: https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/27159/Pharo-1.1-11400-rc2dev10.06.1.zip
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Mariano

Re: Help menu disappeared [WAS] [ANN] Pharo-1.1-11400-rc1dev10.06.1

Adrian Lienhard
Yes, we reorganized this because it was just *one* menu item inside a submenu (in PharoCore).

I also moved it away from the top level into the system submenu because there is no help content yet. When this is going to be a great help system that is used a lot, then I agree we should move it to the top level. But for now I would leave it in the system menu.

Cheers,
Adrian

On Jun 14, 2010, at 11:36 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Guys
>
> this is already a menu!
> this is a menu with only one item right now. so we think that this it is good where it is.
>
> Stef
> On Jun 14, 2010, at 11:16 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>

>> 2010/6/14 laurent laffont <[hidden email]>
>> On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 10:25 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> this is in system>help
>> because we do not want a long menu and the help got in our way several times.
>>
>> I understand we need to be careful about long menus, but I vote for having a help menu.
>>
>> me too. +1
>> Help menu is standard, useful and user friendy.
>> Every app in the world has a Help menu.
>>
>> Anyway, if you decide to reintegrate it, the slice is in inbox: SLICE-Issue-2442-RestoreHelpMenu-LaurentLaffont.1
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Laurent.
>>

>> Stef
>>
>> On Jun 14, 2010, at 10:21 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>>

>>> 2010/6/14 laurent laffont <[hidden email]>
>>> On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 11:19 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi folks. There is a new Pharo 1.1 rc2 image for beta testing. It is based in PharoCore rc2 11400.
>>>
>>> Help menu is gone ?
>>>
>>> Thanks for reporting. Yes, it seems to have disappeared. I have just checked in PharoCore 11400 and it is not there neither. So, it is not "Dev" fault at least.
>>>
>>> Was fixed in http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2442
>>>
>>> Maybe re integrate it ?
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Mariano
>>>

>>> Laurent Laffont
>>>

>>> http://pharocasts.blogspot.com/
>>> http://magaloma.blogspot.com/
>>>

>>> A little remark is that this is the first release candidate, not the second one. There was a problem when building the PharoCore rc1 and thus, we used PharoCore RC2. To be concistent we call it Pharo 1.1 rc2 to this image.
>>>
>>> We are getting closer to the stable release of Pharo 1.1 so we would really appreaciate any kind of feedback. Use it, load your packages and applications, run tests, etc.
>>>
>>> The download link is: https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/27159/Pharo-1.1-11400-rc2dev10.06.1.zip
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Mariano

Re: Help menu disappeared [WAS] [ANN] Pharo-1.1-11400-rc1dev10.06.1

> this is already a menu!
> this is a menu with only one item right now. so we think that this it is good where it is.
>
> ??

ok I did not check in pharo-dev

> There are three items for me:
> - Help Browser
> - ProfStef Browser
> - Welcome Workspace

may be "Welcome Workspace" should be outside of the help and put in system.

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 12:14 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, we reorganized this because it was just *one* menu item inside a submenu (in PharoCore).

But w are not talking about PharoCore, but about Pharo. And it is not one, but 4 items:

- Help Browser
- ProfStef Browser
- Welcome Workspace
- About

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 12:20 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> this is already a menu!
> this is a menu with only one item right now. so we think that this it is good where it is.
>
> ??

ok I did not check in pharo-dev

> There are three items for me:
> - Help Browser
> - ProfStef Browser
> - Welcome Workspace

may be "Welcome Workspace" should be outside of the help and put in system.

I have a look again at the menus. IMHO the menu which has the least "Raison d'être" is the System Menu.

We can put Integrator Menu and Settings in Tools, About in Help. This way we remove System so the length of the world menu remains the same.

Maybe we can also hide Integrator Menu (like software update) as very few people use it.

We can also remove 'Save and Quit' entry as 'Quit' asks whether we want to save or not.

Laurent

Re: Help menu disappeared [WAS] [ANN] Pharo-1.1-11400-rc1dev10.06.1

Stéphane Ducasse
> > There are three items for me:
> > - Help Browser
> > - ProfStef Browser
> > - Welcome Workspace
>
> may be "Welcome Workspace" should be outside of the help and put in system.
>
> I have a look again at the menus. IMHO the menu which has the least "Raison d'être" is the System Menu.
>
> We can put Integrator Menu and Settings in Tools, About in Help. This way we remove System so the length of the world menu remains the same.

what would be structure?

> Maybe we can also hide Integrator Menu (like software update) as very few people use it.

Yes it will disappear in the final

> We can also remove 'Save and Quit' entry as 'Quit' asks whether we want to save or not.

this has been discussed a long time ago

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 3:04 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > There are three items for me:
> > - Help Browser
> > - ProfStef Browser
> > - Welcome Workspace
>
> may be "Welcome Workspace" should be outside of the help and put in system.
>
> I have a look again at the menus. IMHO the menu which has the least "Raison d'être" is the System Menu.
>
> We can put Integrator Menu and Settings in Tools, About in Help. This way we remove System so the length of the world menu remains the same.

what would be structure?

------ means separator. I've tried to put related things together:

Tools
    Transcript
    Script manager
    Process browser
    --------------
    Message names
    Method finder
    --------------
    Recent submissions
    Change sorter
    Recover lost changes
    File browser
    Integrator menu
    --------------
    Settings

Windows (unchanged)
Debug (unchanged)

Help
    System Help
    ProfStef
    Welcome workspace
    About

I have never used Process Browser, isn't it used for debugging purposes ? If so we can put it in Debug menu.

It seems that Windows>Send top window to back doesn't work. Anyway, someone use it ?

> Maybe we can also hide Integrator Menu (like software update) as very few people use it.

Yes it will disappear in the final

OK

> We can also remove 'Save and Quit' entry as 'Quit' asks whether we want to save or not.

this has been discussed a long time ago

OK, so I suppose the final decision was to keep it.

Laurent