Help menu disappeared [WAS] [ANN] Pharo-1.1-11400-rc1dev10.06.1

Help menu disappeared [WAS] [ANN] Pharo-1.1-11400-rc1dev10.06.1

Torsten Bergmann
+2 for Laurent/Mariano and -1 for Stef here:

Why I agree with Laurent and Mariano:

 - every app has a help menu
 - in almost any case such a help menu is at the top level of
   menus/toolbars/context menues
 - if one needs help then it should be easily accessible
   since it means the end user is lost and needs guidance

Why I disagree with Stef:
 - currently "Help" is really HIDDEN under "System"
   (it's not obvious to a newbie, I tried with a
    friend today)
 - having it under "System" is too technical - think of any
   kind of end user help than (technical) system help
   (If you deploy a commercial app based on Pharo you
    still have "Help" but no "System" menu)
 - it is not a menu with a one item since AFAIK it could
   be extended and the idea was to place also ProfStef under
   it (when loaded in Pharo dev) or other help related stuff

I understand we need to be careful about long menus, but
then I would rather see "Debug" moved under "System"
since it's a rare use case compared to looking for help.

So I would vote for having it always as the last entry in
the middle section of the world menu:

   Monticello Browser
   _____________
   - Tools
   - Windows
   - System
   -- Debug
   -- ...
   - Whatever 1
   - Whatever 2
   - Help
   -- Help Contents   -> full Browser
   -- ProfStef        -> when loaded
   -- ...
   -- About           -> Info dialog
   _____________
   Save
   Save as...

That's easy recognizable even when the menu is extended/changed.
I would also place the "About" as the last item under "Help"
since this is also a typical place for it.

This discussion may not be important to most of us but
usability is key to acceptance and success.

My 0,02€

Bye
T.