Help menu disappeared [WAS] [ANN] Pharo-1.1-11400-rc1dev10.06.1

Help menu disappeared [WAS] [ANN] Pharo-1.1-11400-rc1dev10.06.1

Torsten Bergmann
>I also moved it away from the top level into the system submenu because >there is no help content yet. When this is going to be a great help system >that is used a lot, then I agree we should move it to the top level. But for >now I would leave it in the system menu.

People should feel familar and comfortable with each new version.
Moving menues around is throwing eggs onto you end users!

Bye
T.

Re: Help menu disappeared [WAS] [ANN] Pharo-1.1-11400-rc1dev10.06.1

Stéphane Ducasse
>> I also moved it away from the top level into the system submenu because >there is no help content yet. When this is going to be a great help system >that is used a lot, then I agree we should move it to the top level. But for >now I would leave it in the system menu.
>
> People should feel familar and comfortable with each new version.
> Moving menues around is throwing eggs onto you end users!

do you think that all the good energy that we put on pharo can be summarized that way?
It would be sad because we spent really a lot of time.
Now I can tell you that we did not change the menu immediately when we thought we should.
We waited a bit until we got more convinced that we should move it.

Re: Help menu disappeared [WAS] [ANN] Pharo-1.1-11400-rc1dev10.06.1

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Stef,

FWIW, the "only one item" argument argument breaks down in Pharo dev, because it adds items that belong in a help menu.  Not only is the Prof Stef browser (the GUI version) likely to be of use to newbies, it is something that we should show off as an example for more experienced users.

That gets to a different question.  Suppose one is looking at something like the Prof Stef browser and want to browse the code that created it.  Do we have a good way to do that?  Dolphin's "subclass a presenter" approach makes that type of browsing fairly easy, but in Squeak and hence in Pharo, one tends to compose views using a generic top-level class.  That is fine, but some type of connection to the package or better yet the "factory" that created the window and a way to browse same would be helpful.

Bill