Help on collaborator Active book

laurent laffont
Hi,

how to:
- upload / display pictures ?
- correctly highlight linux commands ?  I use == but here http://book.pharo-project.org/book/Virtual-Machine/Building/BuildVMOnLinux  it seems that / is a special character so the lines are red.

Cheers,

Laurent Laffont

Re: Help on collaborator Active book

Stéphane Ducasse

http://book.seaside.st/system/howto

> - correctly highlight linux commands ?  I use == but here http://book.pharo-project.org/book/Virtual-Machine/Building/BuildVMOnLinux  it seems that / is a special character so the lines are red.

in text == fff ==

for block

==
==
==

now pier use shout to help and when this is

> Cheers,
>
> Laurent Laffont

Re: Help on collaborator Active book

Lukas Renggli
> for block
>
> ==
> ==
> ==
>
> now pier use shout to help and when this is

I would only use

==
==
==

for Smalltalk, otherwise the highlighting is not correct. For Unix commands use

=
=
=

Lukas

>> Cheers,
>>
>> Laurent Laffont

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Help on collaborator Active book

laurent laffont
OK thanks.

The page http://book.seaside.st/system/howto can be added somewhere in Pharo book ?

Cheers,

Laurent Laffont

On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 11:02 AM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> for block
>
> ==
> ==
> ==
>
> now pier use shout to help and when this is

I would only use

==
==
==

for Smalltalk, otherwise the highlighting is not correct. For Unix commands use

=
=
=

Lukas

>> Cheers,
>>
>> Laurent Laffont

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Help on collaborator Active book

Michael Roberts-2
yes i was going to copy it into the new help section. Can someone with
access to book.seaside.st send me the original markup? or tell me how
I can view the pier source. I have added a link for now.

I also created a sandbox for trying things out.

thanks,
Mike

2010/4/18 laurent laffont <[hidden email]>:

> OK thanks.
> The page http://book.seaside.st/system/howto can be added somewhere in Pharo
> book ?
> Cheers,
> Laurent Laffont
>

> On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 11:02 AM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > for block
>> >
>> > ==
>> > ==
>> > ==
>> >
>> > now pier use shout to help and when this is
>>
>> I would only use
>>
>> ==
>> ==
>> ==
>>
>> for Smalltalk, otherwise the highlighting is not correct. For Unix
>> commands use
>>
>> =
>> =
>> =
>>
>> Lukas

>> --
>> Lukas Renggli
>> www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Help on collaborator Active book

Lukas Renggli
> yes i was going to copy it into the new help section. Can someone with
> access to book.seaside.st send me the original markup? or tell me how
> I can view the pier source. I have added a link for now.

+value:toc+

!Parts, Chapters, Sections, Subsections

Do not use the heading markup !, it cannot be properly converted to
Latex. Instead add a new structure for every section using the ==Add==
command. Name the section according to their latex label, only use
lowercase characters and no spaces. This is the name that will appear
in the URL. For the title capitalize the individual words.

Chapters, sections and subsections are displayed in the order they are
created. They can be rearranged using the ==Order== command.

!Figures

To embed a figure create a link of the form

=+foo.png|width=100%+

The line embeds the figure and sets the width of the image. For the
width use a percentage between 50% and 100%. Only upload PNG files
without transparency, no JPEG or GIF files. Do not upload files that
have spaces in their name. As the name property use the name of the
file you upload. Edit the title property, it will become the caption
of the image and show up in the index of figures.

If the figure does not exist yet, it will show as a red link. Clicking
on it allows you to create it. Chose "Book Figure" as the structure
type to create. Then on the next page edit the title (caption) and
upload the image.

!Keyword Index
To add a keyword to the index use ==\+index:WAComponent\+==. To add a
two level keyword use the syntax
==\+index:WAComponent!renderContentOn:\+==. Note that this markup does
not generate any output. Preferably put it at the beginning of the
paragraph.

!Source Code
For inlined source code use the syntax ==\==100 factorial\== ==. For
blocks of code that should be highlighted using the Smalltalk parser
begin each line with == \== ==. Use 4 spaces to indent the code, no
tabs.

==Integer>>factorial
==   ^ self < 2
==      ifTrue: [ 1 ]
==      ifFalse: [ self * (self - 1) factorial ]

To have non highlighted code begin each line with a single =====.

=squeak -headless seaside.image

!References

To create references to chapters, sections or figures use the normal
link-syntax but prepend it with ==ref:==, for example:

=*ref:foo.png*
=*ref:../components*

@here
This will create a link of the form *Form 123>.@here* and *Section 4>.@here*.

!Paragraph
Avoid unnecessary line breaks in paragraphs. Don't use wrapped text,
that is clumsy and almost impossible to edit afterwards from the web
browser. In TextMate use the command ''Unwrap Paragraph
(Ctrl\+Alt\+Q)'' to properly format the paragraph before pasting into
Pier.

Use the syntax ==\@@important This is the paragraph text.== to
annotate a paragraph.

@@important This is an ==\@@important== paragraph.

@@blockquote This is a ==\@@blockquote== paragraph.

@@note This is a ==\@@note== paragraph.

@@advanced This is an ==\@@advanced== paragraph.

@@todo This is a ==\@@todo== paragraph.

!Navigation

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Help on collaborator Active book

ok my mistake!

On Apr 18, 2010, at 11:02 AM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> for block
>>
>> ==
>> ==
>> ==
>>
>> now pier use shout to help and when this is
>
> I would only use
>
> ==
> ==
> ==
>
> for Smalltalk, otherwise the highlighting is not correct. For Unix commands use
>
> =
> =
> =
>
> Lukas
>

>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Laurent Laffont

> Lukas Renggli
> www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Help on collaborator Active book

yes please do.

Stef
On Apr 18, 2010, at 11:28 AM, laurent laffont wrote:

> OK thanks.
>
> The page http://book.seaside.st/system/howto can be added somewhere in Pharo book ?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Laurent Laffont
>

> On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 11:02 AM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > for block
> >
> > ==
> > ==
> > ==
> >
> > now pier use shout to help and when this is
>
> I would only use
>
> ==
> ==
> ==
>
> for Smalltalk, otherwise the highlighting is not correct. For Unix commands use
>
> =
> =
> =
>
> Lukas
>

> >> Cheers,
> >>
> >> Laurent Laffont

> Lukas Renggli
> www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Help on collaborator Active book

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
I would love to contribute to the book (I'm great at catching grammatical mistakes as I read).  It seems like a login is needed - how do I get one?

Thanks.
- Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Help on collaborator Active book

Michael Roberts-2
cheers Lukas, can you check how it has rendered, i am not sure the
copy/paste has quite worked?

Mike

On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 10:57 AM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> ==   ^ self < 2
> ==      ifTrue: [ 1 ]
> ==      ifFalse: [ self * (self - 1) factorial ]
>
> To have non highlighted code begin each line with a single =====.
>
> =squeak -headless seaside.image
>
> !References
>
> To create references to chapters, sections or figures use the normal
> link-syntax but prepend it with ==ref:==, for example:
>
> =*ref:foo.png*
> =*ref:../components*
>
> @here
> This will create a link of the form *Form 123>.@here* and *Section 4>.@here*.
>
> !Paragraph
> Avoid unnecessary line breaks in paragraphs. Don't use wrapped text,
> that is clumsy and almost impossible to edit afterwards from the web
> browser. In TextMate use the command ''Unwrap Paragraph
> (Ctrl\+Alt\+Q)'' to properly format the paragraph before pasting into

Like that :)
I will send you the information for your account.
Stef

On Apr 18, 2010, at 4:24 PM, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> I would love to contribute to the book (I'm great at catching grammatical
> mistakes as I read).  It seems like a login is needed - how do I get one?
>
> Thanks.
> - Sean

Re: Help on collaborator Active book

Lukas Renggli
> cheers Lukas, can you check how it has rendered, i am not sure the
> copy/paste has quite worked?

Looks good, except for the part on keywords. Probably the mail messed
up some line wrappings.

Lukas

> [...]
>> ==   ^ self < 2
>> ==      ifTrue: [ 1 ]
>> ==      ifFalse: [ self * (self - 1) factorial ]
>>
>> To have non highlighted code begin each line with a single =====.
>>
>> =squeak -headless seaside.image
>>
>> !References
>>
>> To create references to chapters, sections or figures use the normal
>> link-syntax but prepend it with ==ref:==, for example:
>>
>> =*ref:foo.png*
>> =*ref:../components*
>>
>> @here
>> This will create a link of the form *Form 123>.@here* and *Section 4>.@here*.
>>
>> !Paragraph
>> Avoid unnecessary line breaks in paragraphs. Don't use wrapped text,
>> that is clumsy and almost impossible to edit afterwards from the web
>> browser. In TextMate use the command ''Unwrap Paragraph
>> (Ctrl\+Alt\+Q)'' to properly format the paragraph before pasting into

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Help on collaborator Active book

Tudor Girba
Fixed.

Doru

On 18 Apr 2010, at 19:15, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> [...]
>>> ==      ifTrue: [ 1 ]
>>> ==      ifFalse: [ self * (self - 1) factorial ]
>>>
>>> To have non highlighted code begin each line with a single =====.
>>>
>>> =squeak -headless seaside.image
>>>
>>> !References
>>>
>>> To create references to chapters, sections or figures use the normal
>>> link-syntax but prepend it with ==ref:==, for example:
>>>
>>> =*ref:foo.png*
>>> =*ref:../components*
>>>
>>> @here
>>> This will create a link of the form *Form 123>.@here* and *Section
>>> 4>.@here*.
>>>
>>> !Paragraph
>>> Avoid unnecessary line breaks in paragraphs. Don't use wrapped text,
>>> that is clumsy and almost impossible to edit afterwards from the web
>>> browser. In TextMate use the command ''Unwrap Paragraph
>>> (Ctrl\+Alt\+Q)'' to properly format the paragraph before pasting

www.tudorgirba.com

"Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot
be done."

Re: Help on collaborator Active book

Stéphane Ducasse
this is really cool to see this collaborative space taking shape.
I should start to write other chapters directly there too

> Fixed.
>
> Doru
>

> On 18 Apr 2010, at 19:15, Lukas Renggli wrote:
>
>>> cheers Lukas, can you check how it has rendered, i am not sure the
>>> copy/paste has quite worked?
>>
>> Looks good, except for the part on keywords. Probably the mail messed
>> up some line wrappings.
>>
>> Lukas
>>

>>> Mike

>> --
>> Lukas Renggli
>> www.lukas-renggli.ch

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be done."

Re: Help on collaborator Active book

melkyades
Hi!! When reading the book I feel a bit lost, "out of context", I'd like to be able to see what part of the book I'm reading. I think it would be reeeaaally nice to have the navigation section to the right show more of this context, not just the next and previous pages. Something more like a small table of contents relative to the page being read. What do you think? Do you think it'd be possible/reasonable?

Regards,
           Javier.

On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 2:51 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
this is really cool to see this collaborative space taking shape.
I should start to write other chapters directly there too

> Fixed.
>
> Doru
>

> On 18 Apr 2010, at 19:15, Lukas Renggli wrote:
>
>>> cheers Lukas, can you check how it has rendered, i am not sure the
>>> copy/paste has quite worked?
>>
>> Looks good, except for the part on keywords. Probably the mail messed
>> up some line wrappings.
>>
>> Lukas
>>

>>> Mike

>> --
>> Lukas Renggli
>> www.lukas-renggli.ch

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be done."

Javier Pimás
Ciudad de Buenos Aires

Re: Help on collaborator Active book

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
I made a slew of minor edits.  Here were some impressions that I didn't have enough information to fix:

Announcements @ http://book.pharo-project.org/book/announcements
* I'd like to see a short explanation of the trade-offs involved in announcements vs. simple message sends.  The page speaks vaguely to this, but I think it would be very valuable to have a "Smalltalk Best Practice Patterns"-style description of the pros and cons of each so people can make informed decisions in their projects.

Fixing underscores @ http://book.pharo-project.org/book/TipsAndTricks/FixingUnderscores
* I wasn't sure whether this was an instruction, a suggestion, or merely an option.  Is this necessary? personal preference?  Again, some background would help.

List of Plugins @ http://book.pharo-project.org/book/Virtual-Machine/VMPlugins/VMPluginsList
* "GeniePlugin : This plugin implements the functionality of" ???
* "SurfacePlugin : This plugin is a fake" uh, what, lol

Traits @ http://book.pharo-project.org/book/Traits:
* This one I found very tough.  Especially the initial part of the BulletinBoard example.  I wasn't sure how I would play with the example in my own image.  For instance, what should the subclass of BulletinBoard be?

* "BoardListener new listenAndReact
makes sure that each time the method announceNewAddedItem is executed on the created bulletinBoard, the event is received by the listener."  Does it?  It seems to just write to the Transcript, and not be connected to the listener at all.

* "Open an inspector on the expression above" - which expression?

* "! Going deeper
When applying a trait to a class it may face different situations."

* "!!Using Alias to access a hidden method"  This section (the beginning anyway), seemed to describe something different than the title here.

It's great to have a resource like this - let's squeeze all the juice out of it.

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

List of Plugins @
http://book.pharo-project.org/book/Virtual-Machine/VMPlugins/VMPluginsList
* "GeniePlugin : This plugin implements the functionality of" ???
* "SurfacePlugin : This plugin is a fake" uh, what, lol

Thanks for your help Sean.

For list of Plugins I've just extracted  the first sentence of each Plugin's comment for start.... to be continued :)

I would like to add for each plugin whether it's safe to built it internal or external.

A section on how to write its own plugin would be cool.

And how to interface to an existing library. (QT, GTK, Webkit, ...) too.

Can someone write the Mac OSX / Windows way to build the VM ?

Cheers,

Laurent Laffont

On Sunday, April 18, 2010, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Fixed.
>
> Doru

thanks!
Mike

On Apr 19, 2010, at 8:45 AM, laurent laffont wrote:

> List of Plugins @
> http://book.pharo-project.org/book/Virtual-Machine/VMPlugins/VMPluginsList
> * "GeniePlugin : This plugin implements the functionality of" ???
> * "SurfacePlugin : This plugin is a fake" uh, what, lol
>

> Thanks for your help Sean.
>
> For list of Plugins I've just extracted  the first sentence of each Plugin's comment for start.... to be continued :)
>
> I would like to add for each plugin whether it's safe to built it internal or external.
>
> A section on how to write its own plugin would be cool.

there is a chapter in the new blue book on my free books web page that explains that.
We could get inspired.

> And how to interface to an existing library. (QT, GTK, Webkit, ...) too.
>
> Can someone write the Mac OSX / Windows way to build the VM ?

Yes jean-baptiste has that on his todo.

> Cheers,
>
> Laurent Laffont

Re: Help on collaborator Active book

thanks

> Fixing underscores @
> http://book.pharo-project.org/book/TipsAndTricks/FixingUnderscores
> * I wasn't sure whether this was an instruction, a suggestion, or merely an
> option.  Is this necessary? personal preference?  Again, some background
> would help.

I fixed that.

> Traits @ http://book.pharo-project.org/book/Traits:
> * This one I found very tough.  Especially the initial part of the
> BulletinBoard example.  I wasn't sure how I would play with the example in
> my own image.  For instance, what should the subclass of BulletinBoard be?
>
> * "BoardListener new listenAndReact
> makes sure that each time the method announceNewAddedItem is executed on the
> created bulletinBoard, the event is received by the listener."  Does it?  It
> seems to just write to the Transcript, and not be connected to the listener
> at all.
>
> * "Open an inspector on the expression above" - which expression?
>
> * "! Going deeper
> When applying a trait to a class it may face different situations."
>
> * "!!Using Alias to access a hidden method"  This section (the beginning
> anyway), seemed to describe something different than the title here.
>
> It's great to have a resource like this - let's squeeze all the juice out of
> it.

I will fix the rest later.