classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Help understanding a RcReadSet commit conflict

GLASS mailing list
Hi,

My code that runs background jobs on a separate gem (based on Otto's code...similar to ServiceVM), stores the commit conflict information inside the persistent background process instance for post commit conflict analysis. 

I have a job that failed today and with the following commit conflict info:

Inspect aFaBackgroundProcess/aSymbolDictionary( #'WriteWrite_minusRcReadSet'->anArray( aDictionary( )), #'commitResult'->#'failure', #'RcReadSet'->anArray( aRcCollisionBucket( aRcKeyValueDictionary( ,........)
--------------------
.                -> aSymbolDictionary( #'WriteWrite_minusRcReadSet'->anArray( aDictionary( )), #'commitResult'->#'failure', #'RcReadSet'->anArray( aRcCollisionB...
..               -> aFaBackgroundProcess
(class)@         -> SymbolDictionary
(oop)@           -> 15059544321
(committed)@     -> true
(notTranlogged)@ -> nil
1@               -> #'commitResult'->#'failure'
2@               -> #'RcReadSet'->anArray( aRcCollisionBucket( aRcKeyValueDictionary( 'siteDB-debris-gemstone'->aFaGemStoneDataStore)), aRcCollisionBucket( aRcK...
3@               -> #'Write-Write'->anArray( aDictionary( ))
4@               -> #'WriteWrite_minusRcReadSet'->anArray( aDictionary( ))

So... commitResult is #failure and the only thing set up is RcReadSet. I have searched in the programming guides for RcReadSet and I found nothing. I am inspecting the array of it, but it is of size 973...which makes it impossible to understand what it really caused the conflict. 

Is there any tip on how can analyze this better?

Thanks, 

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Help understanding a RcReadSet commit conflict

GLASS mailing list

Mariano,

It has been awhile since I've done any reduced conflict work, so the details of the reduced conflict mechanism need to be paged back in ... with a bit of poking around I believe that the RcReadSet is not involved directly in the actual conflict, especially since the #Write-Write set is empty ... from the information I've seen here, there shouldn't have been a conflict ...

Is there a reason that you are not showing the full set of fields in a conflictDictionary? I would expect to see fields for each of the following (from System class>>transactionConflicts):

Key                Conflicts
 Read-Write          StrongReadSet and WriteSetUnion conflicts.
 Write-Write         WriteSet and WriteSetUnion conflicts.
 Write-Dependency    WriteSet and DependencyChangeSetUnion conflicts.
 Write-WriteLock     WriteSet and WriteLockSet conflicts.
 Write-ReadLock      WriteSet and ReadLockSet conflicts.
 Rc-Write-Write      Logical write-write conflict on reduced conflict object.
 WriteWrite_minusRcReadSet  (WriteSet and WriteSetUnion conflicts) - RcReadSet)

Both the Write-Dependency and Rc-Write-Write fields would have useful information if they weren't empty ...

Barring additional information I suppose it might be useful to see the error message and any other information from the log file (perhaps a stack?)

Dale

On 6/16/16 7:54 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck via Glass wrote:
Hi,

My code that runs background jobs on a separate gem (based on Otto's code...similar to ServiceVM), stores the commit conflict information inside the persistent background process instance for post commit conflict analysis. 

Inspect aFaBackgroundProcess/aSymbolDictionary( #'WriteWrite_minusRcReadSet'->anArray( aDictionary( )), #'commitResult'->#'failure', #'RcReadSet'->anArray( aRcCollisionBucket( aRcKeyValueDictionary( ,........)
--------------------
.                -> aSymbolDictionary( #'WriteWrite_minusRcReadSet'->anArray( aDictionary( )), #'commitResult'->#'failure', #'RcReadSet'->anArray( aRcCollisionB...
(committed)@     -> true
(notTranlogged)@ -> nil
2@               -> #'RcReadSet'->anArray( aRcCollisionBucket( aRcKeyValueDictionary( 'siteDB-debris-gemstone'->aFaGemStoneDataStore)), aRcCollisionBucket( aRcK...

So... commitResult is #failure and the only thing set up is RcReadSet. I have searched in the programming guides for RcReadSet and I found nothing. I am inspecting the array of it, but it is of size 973...which makes it impossible to understand what it really caused the conflict. 

Thanks, 

Reply | Threaded
|

GLASS mailing list

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 3:17 PM, Dale Henrichs via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:

Mariano,

It has been awhile since I've done any reduced conflict work, so the details of the reduced conflict mechanism need to be paged back in ... with a bit of poking around I believe that the RcReadSet is not involved directly in the actual conflict, especially since the #Write-Write set is empty ... from the information I've seen here, there shouldn't have been a conflict ...

That was the part I didn't understand. As the rest of the keys were empty and the result was #failure , I couldn't understand why RcReadSet (the only none empty key) would make the commit to fail....

Is there a reason that you are not showing the full set of fields in a conflictDictionary? I would expect to see fields for each of the following (from System class>>transactionConflicts):

No. Actually, I pasted all I can see from that dictionary. So maybe the problem is how I am capturing and persisting this?
Here [1] you can see how I do my best to capture the transaction conflicts for later analysis. Note that since this is a background process I cannot immediatly debug it. That's why I try to persist the commit conflicts together with my persistent background instance before I loose it

Both the Write-Dependency and Rc-Write-Write fields would have useful information if they weren't empty ...

Barring additional information I suppose it might be useful to see the error message and any other information from the log file (perhaps a stack?)

I suspect I am capturing/persisting wrongly the commit conflicts.

Thanks in advance for any help. 

Dale

Hi,

--------------------
(committed)@     -> true
(notTranlogged)@ -> nil

Thanks, 

--

Reply | Threaded
|

GLASS mailing list

Okay ... I'm interested in the TransactionError that is not a TransactionError ... that is a bit surprising to me and I'd be interested in addtional details ... don't think that it's related to the current problem, but who knows :)

What does the #commitConflicts: method do?

So far I don't see anything suspicious ...

Is this problem reproducable?

It may be time to record a stack in the log and perhaps take a look at System class>>_commitPrintingDiagnostics for logging the commit conflicts to the log as well ... The code in System class>>_commitPrintingDiagnostics implies that not all fields are in the transactionConflicts dictionary are set, so that may be a red herring.

Dale

On 6/17/16 11:56 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 3:17 PM, Dale Henrichs via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:

Mariano,

That was the part I didn't understand. As the rest of the keys were empty and the result was #failure , I couldn't understand why RcReadSet (the only none empty key) would make the commit to fail....

No. Actually, I pasted all I can see from that dictionary. So maybe the problem is how I am capturing and persisting this?
Here [1] you can see how I do my best to capture the transaction conflicts for later analysis. Note that since this is a background process I cannot immediatly debug it. That's why I try to persist the commit conflicts together with my persistent background instance before I loose it

Dale

Hi,

--------------------
(committed)@     -> true
(notTranlogged)@ -> nil

Thanks, 

--

Reply | Threaded
|

GLASS mailing list
Hi Dale,

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 4:20 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

Okay ... I'm interested in the TransactionError that is not a TransactionError ... that is a bit surprising to me and I'd be interested in addtional details ... don't think that it's related to the current problem, but who knows :)

Yes, but I don't know how to give more information. More below.

It's a simple setter. The method #runInForeground I published is in FaBackgroundProcess (persistent domain object). And so this #commitConflicts simply stores the commit conflicts into an instVar of it for further analysis. 

No, unfortunately, it's not :(

It may be time to record a stack in the log

I already record into the stack, maybe not exactly what you suggest next, but at least, please see attached file. 

As you can see in the stack, it looks like the normal / domain logic finished (in #runProcessBlock) and so the line 10 of #runInForeground does the #commit. So it simply looks like  a commit conflict when the job finished. 

Does this stack helps somehow? Note that it shows some OOP etc and I can still get this OOP if you need them. 

and perhaps take a look at System class>>_commitPrintingDiagnostics for logging the commit conflicts to the log as well ... The code in System class>>_commitPrintingDiagnostics implies that not all fields are in the transactionConflicts dictionary are set, so that may be a red herring.

Thanks for pointing out to #_commitPrintingDiagnostics. In fact it looks pretty similar to what I do, right? And yeah, those #ifAbsent:[] may suggest we may not be able to get all fields. But then...how do we get them???

Thanks! 

Dale

On 6/17/16 11:56 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 3:17 PM, Dale Henrichs via Glass <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:

Mariano,

Dale

Hi,

--------------------
(committed)@     -> true
(notTranlogged)@ -> nil

Thanks, 

--

--

gemLog.txt (3K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
|

GLASS mailing list

On 6/17/16 12:56 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
Hi Dale,

Well, right now you are resuming a TransactionError and I would want to see the stack and the description of the actual error ... it might be related to the current problem ... if you are "ignoring a meaningful" it may have an impact of future commits.

It's a simple setter. The method #runInForeground I published is in FaBackgroundProcess (persistent domain object). And so this #commitConflicts simply stores the commit conflicts into an instVar of it for further analysis. 

No, unfortunately, it's not :(

It may be time to record a stack in the log

I already record into the stack, maybe not exactly what you suggest next, but at least, please see attached file. 

As you can see in the stack, it looks like the normal / domain logic finished (in #runProcessBlock) and so the line 10 of #runInForeground does the #commit. So it simply looks like  a commit conflict when the job finished. 

Does this stack helps somehow? Note that it shows some OOP etc and I can still get this OOP if you need them. 

and perhaps take a look at System class>>_commitPrintingDiagnostics for logging the commit conflicts to the log as well ... The code in System class>>_commitPrintingDiagnostics implies that not all fields are in the transactionConflicts dictionary are set, so that may be a red herring.

Thanks for pointing out to #_commitPrintingDiagnostics. In fact it looks pretty similar to what I do, right? And yeah, those #ifAbsent:[] may suggest we may not be able to get all fields. But then...how do we get them???

well, the transactionConflicts report shows no conflicts, so we are getting a commit conflict where there are not actual conflicts ... this could be a bug, but I would like to know for sure that the "ignored" TransactionError is not involved ... so perhaps some additional logging for the "resumed TransactionError" is called for ..

The stack isn't useful - as you claim - so right now I can only be suspicious of the "resumed Transaction errors" ...

I'm not in the office today --- not feeling well --- so on Monday I will talk to some folks about additional measures we can take --- it's also time to ask about the version of GemStone that you are using:)

Dale

Reply | Threaded
|

GLASS mailing list

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 5:30 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 6/17/16 1:26 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 5:10 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Dale,

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 4:20 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:

Well, right now you are resuming a TransactionError and I would want to see the stack and the description of the actual error ... it might be related to the current problem ... if you are "ignoring a meaningful" it may have an impact of future commits.

As far as I can understand from my own code hahahhaha there is no "actual error". I do not #resume the TransactionError but instead I do a #pass. Therefore the next error handler:

on: Error, Halt do: [ :exc | self abortToNewTransaction; handleException: exc. currentCommitConflicts ifNotNil: [ self commitConflicts: currentCommitConflicts ]. self commitToNewTransaction. exc return ]
No you are resuming a TransactionError when the commitResult is success and I am very curious about this TransactionError:
        [
            System commit.
            ] on: TransactionError do: [ :ex |
                "If we are using RC collections, we may be getting a TransactionError but the commitResult could have been success. So in that case
                we ignore the error."
                ((System transactionConflicts at: #commitResult) = #success)
                    ifTrue: [ ex resume ]

Ahhh yes, if it was #success I do #resume. 
However, just for the record note that transaction error that caused the final error has #failure as #commitResult. So we are not talking about the same TransactionError. But maybe... the original TransactionError that we #pass may have somehow raised the next #failure TransactionError ? That's what you have in mind?

Thanks!

--

Reply | Threaded
|

GLASS mailing list

On 6/17/16 1:40 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

Hi Dale,

As far as I can understand from my own code hahahhaha there is no "actual error". I do not #resume the TransactionError but instead I do a #pass. Therefore the next error handler:

on: Error, Halt do: [ :exc | self abortToNewTransaction; handleException: exc. currentCommitConflicts ifNotNil: [ self commitConflicts: currentCommitConflicts ]. self commitToNewTransaction. exc return ]
No you are resuming a TransactionError when the commitResult is success and I am very curious about this TransactionError:
        [
            System commit.
                "If we are using RC collections, we may be getting a TransactionError but the commitResult could have been success. So in that case
                we ignore the error."

However, just for the record note that transaction error that caused the final error has #failure as #commitResult. So we are not talking about the same TransactionError. But maybe... the original TransactionError that we #pass may have somehow raised the next #failure TransactionError ? That's what you have in mind?

Thanks!

Yes ... I can't be sure but I don't think you should be getting a TransactionError for a successful commit ... so that means something went wrong and _if_ this particular error was immediately preceeded by a "resumed TransactionError" then we might have a lot more information and perhaps we can get to the bottom of this ... I also don't think that you should get a TransactionError claiming that there were commit conflicts when there are no commit conflicts present in the transaction conflicts dictionary ...

Dale

Reply | Threaded
|

GLASS mailing list

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 5:50 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 5:10 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Dale,

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 4:20 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:

[
            System commit.
                we ignore the error."

Thanks!

Yes ... I can't be sure but I don't think you should be getting a TransactionError for a successful commit ...

mmmm I am not sure. Checking the code of #_commitPrintingDiagnostics (which I guess it it correct), expects to have "(conflicts at: #'commitResult') == #'success' "     in case of "  self commitTransaction" answering false. And ....  "self commitTransaction"  answering false isn't it the same as doing #commit and getting the TransactionError ?

so that means something went wrong and _if_ this particular error was immediately preceeded by a "resumed TransactionError" then we might have a lot more information and perhaps we can get to the bottom of this ... I also don't think that you should get a TransactionError claiming that there were commit conflicts when there are no commit conflicts present in the transaction conflicts dictionary ...

Dale

--

Reply | Threaded
|

GLASS mailing list

On 06/20/2016 06:28 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 5:50 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Dale,

[
            System commit.
                we ignore the error."

Thanks!

Yes ... I can't be sure but I don't think you should be getting a TransactionError for a successful commit ...

mmmm I am not sure. Checking the code of #_commitPrintingDiagnostics (which I guess it it correct), expects to have "(conflicts at: #'commitResult') == #'success' "     in case of "  self commitTransaction" answering false. And ....  "self commitTransaction"  answering false isn't it the same as doing #commit and getting the TransactionError ?

Well, this is why I want to have more information about your TransactionError ... there _are_ a several different places (in the C code) that signal a TransactionError that aren't directly ralted to a commit failure ... your comment leads me to believe that the you hit an reduced conflict related TransactionError which lead you to then resume the error ... without knowing the details of the "ignored" TransactionError, I can only guess about what might be going on ... The fact that you have seen a commit failure with no conflicts and no additional information is odd and I am hoping that an "ignored" TransactionError might provide additional information ...

I'm finally in the office today (although I may not last long ... unfortunately) and I'll ask around for any other possibilities ...

Dale

Reply | Threaded
|

GLASS mailing list
In reply to this post by GLASS mailing list

On 06/16/2016 07:54 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck via Glass wrote:

>
>
> Inspect aFaBackgroundProcess/aSymbolDictionary(
> #'WriteWrite_minusRcReadSet'->anArray( aDictionary( )),
> #'commitResult'->#'failure', #'RcReadSet'->anArray(
> aRcCollisionBucket( aRcKeyValueDictionary( ,........)
> --------------------
> .                -> aSymbolDictionary(
> #'WriteWrite_minusRcReadSet'->anArray( aDictionary( )),
> #'commitResult'->#'failure', #'RcReadSet'->anArray( aRcCollisionB...
> ..               -> aFaBackgroundProcess
> (class)@         -> SymbolDictionary
> (oop)@           -> 15059544321
> (committed)@     -> true
> (notTranlogged)@ -> nil
> 1@               -> #'commitResult'->#'failure'
> 2@               -> #'RcReadSet'->anArray( aRcCollisionBucket(
> aRcKeyValueDictionary(
> 'siteDB-debris-gemstone'->aFaGemStoneDataStore)), aRcCollisionBucket(
> aRcK...
> 3@               -> #'Write-Write'->anArray( aDictionary( ))
> 4@               -> #'WriteWrite_minusRcReadSet'->anArray( aDictionary( ))
>
Mariano,

I guess we are both blind:) ... While describing the "problem" to a
co-worker I noticed that the the Write-Write set is NOT EMPTY :):

The conflict that you are getting is on the empty dictionary
(aDictionary( )) ... presumably you are creating an empty Dictionary
somewhere in shared state and two sessions are trying to update the
dictionary...

Dale
Reply | Threaded
|

GLASS mailing list

On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 2:52 PM, Dale Henrichs via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:

--------------------
.                -> aSymbolDictionary( #'WriteWrite_minusRcReadSet'->anArray( aDictionary( )), #'commitResult'->#'failure', #'RcReadSet'->anArray( aRcCollisionB...
..               -> aFaBackgroundProcess
(class)@         -> SymbolDictionary
(oop)@           -> 15059544321
(committed)@     -> true
(notTranlogged)@ -> nil
1@               -> #'commitResult'->#'failure'
2@               -> #'RcReadSet'->anArray( aRcCollisionBucket( aRcKeyValueDictionary( 'siteDB-debris-gemstone'->aFaGemStoneDataStore)), aRcCollisionBucket( aRcK...
3@               -> #'Write-Write'->anArray( aDictionary( ))
4@               -> #'WriteWrite_minusRcReadSet'->anArray( aDictionary( ))

Mariano,

I guess we are both blind:) ... While describing the "problem" to a co-worker I noticed that the the Write-Write set is NOT EMPTY :):

The conflict that you are getting is on the empty dictionary (aDictionary( )) ... presumably you are creating an empty Dictionary somewhere in shared state and two sessions are trying to update the dictionary...

Uff  wtf!!!! Crap, we were both blind. Sorry to bother. Ok...the hunting (findAllReferencePathsTo... )  has become... will see if I can track down this guilty empty dict. 

Thanks! 

Dale

--

Reply | Threaded
|

GLASS mailing list

On 06/22/2016 12:20 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 2:52 PM, Dale Henrichs via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:

--------------------
.                -> aSymbolDictionary( #'WriteWrite_minusRcReadSet'->anArray( aDictionary( )), #'commitResult'->#'failure', #'RcReadSet'->anArray( aRcCollisionB...
(committed)@     -> true
(notTranlogged)@ -> nil
2@               -> #'RcReadSet'->anArray( aRcCollisionBucket( aRcKeyValueDictionary( 'siteDB-debris-gemstone'->aFaGemStoneDataStore)), aRcCollisionBucket( aRcK...

Mariano,

I guess we are both blind:) ... While describing the "problem" to a co-worker I noticed that the the Write-Write set is NOT EMPTY :):

The conflict that you are getting is on the empty dictionary (aDictionary( )) ... presumably you are creating an empty Dictionary somewhere in shared state and two sessions are trying to update the dictionary...

Uff  wtf!!!! Crap, we were both blind. Sorry to bother. Ok...the hunting (findAllReferencePathsTo... )  has become... will see if I can track down this guilty empty dict. 

Thanks! 

haha ... happy hunting ...

BTW, if you find traipsing through the output of findAllReferencePathsTo... to be frustrating, you might want to try Obex[1] for visualizing the referencespath structure... Obex is still under development and it might require a bit of tweaking, but one of it's features is to allow you to build a visual network of the objects in the findAllReferencePathsTo... result set ...

Dale

[1] https://github.com/dalehenrich/obex#object-explorer-for-gemstones-64

Reply | Threaded
|

GLASS mailing list

On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 5:21 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 2:52 PM, Dale Henrichs via Glass <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:

--------------------
(committed)@     -> true
(notTranlogged)@ -> nil

Mariano,

Thanks! 

OK, it was quite easy. Thanks for the extra pair of eyes. 

BTW, if you find traipsing through the output of findAllReferencePathsTo... to be frustrating, you might want to try Obex[1] for visualizing the referencespath structure... Obex is still under development and it might require a bit of tweaking, but one of it's features is to allow you to build a visual network of the objects in the findAllReferencePathsTo... result set ...
'

Yes, I am aware of it... but:

1) I still cannot use latest tODE and won't be able until we have all the none-DataCurator thingy
2) findAllReferencePathsTo takes a lifetime for my repo. I am talking of an hour or so... so I cannot imagine a UI with that performance. 

What I end up doing is to fire the findAllReferencePathsTo in a gem (like in tODE) and then do a "tail -f " of the gem log. Most of the times, the most important reference paths is the first one or so... then I see first..analyze code, then get the OOP which may be pointing to it. Then kill gem and start again the findAllReferencePathsTo with the new OOP ... and like that until I find the guilty one. 

Thanks! 

--

Reply | Threaded
|

GLASS mailing list

On 6/23/16 12:20 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 5:21 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

--------------------
(committed)@     -> true
(notTranlogged)@ -> nil

Mariano,

Thanks! 

OK, it was quite easy. Thanks for the extra pair of eyes. 

'

Yes, I am aware of it... but:

1) I still cannot use latest tODE and won't be able until we have all the none-DataCurator thingy
2) findAllReferencePathsTo takes a lifetime for my repo. I am talking of an hour or so... so I cannot imagine a UI with that performance. 

What I end up doing is to fire the findAllReferencePathsTo in a gem (like in tODE) and then do a "tail -f " of the gem log. Most of the times, the most important reference paths is the first one or so... then I see first..analyze code, then get the OOP which may be pointing to it. Then kill gem and start again the findAllReferencePathsTo with the new OOP ... and like that until I find the guilty one. 

Thanks! 

For 3.4 we are working on a fast reference scan based on quickly finding the parents of a particular set ofobjects in a single scan and this scan can be done relatively quickly ... the result of this scan will also yield a single single reference path ... if I'm not mistaken this is equivalent to "getting the first reference and killing the gem" ...the obex gui is really targeted at supporting this model as well as other schemes for analyzing objects in your repo ...  while working on this I am creating visualizations for all of the existing repo analysis methods as well ...

Dale