HelpBrowser takes too much time to open

Torsten Bergmann
This is because the help book "Pharo" includes an API
reference for the WHOLE system (starting from ProtoObject
all subclasses down) and converts all class comments
in the system into help text. Accessing sources is slow...

Just run

  MessageTally spyOn: [SystemReference asHelpTopic]

If nobody uses this full API reference then we can eliminate
the class "PharoAPIHelp" and it should be much faster
(from 3705 down to 1006 in my image).

Other books like the ones on announcements and on regular
expression also contain an API reference ... but only
with classes for these packages.

Bye
T.

Re: HelpBrowser takes too much time to open

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 2:14 AM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is because the help book "Pharo" includes an API
reference for the WHOLE system (starting from ProtoObject
all subclasses down) and converts all class comments
in the system into help text. Accessing sources is slow...

Thanks Torsten for the explanation.

Just run

 MessageTally spyOn: [SystemReference asHelpTopic]

If nobody uses this full API reference then we can eliminate
the class "PharoAPIHelp" and it should be much faster
(from 3705 down to 1006 in my image).

No, I like that, it would be cool to keep it.
What I am wondering (I have no idea how HelpBrowser is implemented) is if you cannot do a lazy loading for PharoHelp instead of the whole image.
For example, when you start you have ProtoObject, then 6 subclasess, and then.... so...what about loading the subclasses only when requested ?  in this case, why expanding with the arrow.

Other books like the ones on announcements and on regular
expression also contain an API reference ... but only
with classes for these packages.

Ok, I understand.

--
Mariano