Helping MC2 to improve

stéphane ducasse-2
Hi guys

I was thinking that we should really give feedback to Colin on the
next version of
MC and even help him with tool support and UI.

So please consider to test MC2 and provide snippets :)

Re: Helping MC2 to improve

Edgar J. De Cleene
stéphane ducasse puso en su mail :

> Hi guys
>
> I was thinking that we should really give feedback to Colin on the
> next version of
> MC and even help him with tool support and UI.
>
> So please consider to test MC2 and provide snippets :)
>
> Stef
I have MC2 loaded on my experiments, but yet I do not know how use it.
Exists some documentation what I miss?

I wish produce some mc2 package for testing and see how could be attached
some more what code (gif/png/jpg , .morph, etc) for deliver .

1GB gratis, Antivirus y Antispam
http://correo.yahoo.com.ar

Re: Helping MC2 to improve

Alexandre Bergel-2
Same thing. I wish to know how to use it, although I did not have
time to dig into the tests...

Cheers,
Alexandre

Am May 20, 2006 um 4:47 PM schrieb Lic. Edgar J. De Cleene:

> stéphane ducasse puso en su mail :
>
>> Hi guys
>>
>> I was thinking that we should really give feedback to Colin on the
>> next version of
>> MC and even help him with tool support and UI.
>>
>> So please consider to test MC2 and provide snippets :)
>>
>> Stef
> I have MC2 loaded on my experiments, but yet I do not know how use it.
> Exists some documentation what I miss?
>
> I wish produce some mc2 package for testing and see how could be
> attached
> some more what code (gif/png/jpg , .morph, etc) for deliver .

> 1GB gratis, Antivirus y Antispam
> Correo Yahoo!, el mejor correo web del mundo
> http://correo.yahoo.com.ar

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.cs.tcd.ie/Alexandre.Bergel

Re: Helping MC2 to improve

Colin Putney

On May 20, 2006, at 11:47 AM, Lic. Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> I have MC2 loaded on my experiments, but yet I do not know how use it.
> Exists some documentation what I miss?

No, there isn't any documentation beyond the messages that I've
posted to this list.

As a place to start, here are a few doIts that will illustrate some
of the key concepts in MC2:

MDSlicePanel withAllPackages open

This is the list of all the PackageInfo packages in the image. If you
'Save to File' and enter 'test' as the file name, it will create a
repository in a file called 'test.mcr' and save a snapshot fo the
selected package into it. You can then open that file with the
following doIt:

(MDRepositoryPanel on: (MDFileRepository on: (FileStream
oldFileNamed: 'test.mcr'))) open

This will bring up a repository inspector that will let you load or
merge that snapshot back into the image. Finally, try this:

wc := MDWorkingCopy forImageProxy: MDWorkingCopy defaultImageProxy.
memory := MDMemoryRepository new.
slice := MDPackageInfoSlice named: 'SMBase'.
snapshot _ slice saveFrom: wc to: memory.
snapshot explore.
memory explore.

This will create a working copy, a repository in memory, and a slice
for the package SMBase. It saves a snapshot of SMBase into the
repository, and then opens explorers so you can look at the contents
of the repository and the snapshot. Hint: all the garbled strings are
instances of MDHashstamp.

> I wish produce some mc2 package for testing and see how could be
> attached
> some more what code (gif/png/jpg , .morph, etc) for deliver .

I haven't thought about this much, but I think a SAR would work fine.
You could create a SAR that contained an MC2 repository file, your
media and an install script that loaded a snapshot from the repository.

Colin

Re: Helping MC2 to improve

Edgar J. De Cleene
Colin Putney puso en su mail :

> On May 20, 2006, at 11:47 AM, Lic. Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
>
>> I have MC2 loaded on my experiments, but yet I do not know how use it.
>> Exists some documentation what I miss?
>
> No, there isn't any documentation beyond the messages that I've
> posted to this list.
>
> As a place to start, here are a few doIts that will illustrate some
> of the key concepts in MC2:
>

> MDSlicePanel withAllPackages open
>
> This is the list of all the PackageInfo packages in the image. If you
> 'Save to File' and enter 'test' as the file name, it will create a
> repository in a file called 'test.mcr' and save a snapshot fo the
> selected package into it. You can then open that file with the
> following doIt:
>
> (MDRepositoryPanel on: (MDFileRepository on: (FileStream
> oldFileNamed: 'test.mcr'))) open
>
> This will bring up a repository inspector that will let you load or
> merge that snapshot back into the image. Finally, try this:
>
> wc := MDWorkingCopy forImageProxy: MDWorkingCopy defaultImageProxy.
> memory := MDMemoryRepository new.
> slice := MDPackageInfoSlice named: 'SMBase'.
> snapshot _ slice saveFrom: wc to: memory.
> snapshot explore.
> memory explore.
>
> This will create a working copy, a repository in memory, and a slice
> for the package SMBase. It saves a snapshot of SMBase into the
> repository, and then opens explorers so you can look at the contents
> of the repository and the snapshot. Hint: all the garbled strings are
> instances of MDHashstamp.
>
>> I wish produce some mc2 package for testing and see how could be
>> attached
>> some more what code (gif/png/jpg , .morph, etc) for deliver .
>
>>> I haven't thought about this much, but I think a SAR would work fine.
>>> You could create a SAR that contained an MC2 repository file, your
>>> media and an install script that loaded a snapshot from the repository.
>
> Colin
Very thanks Colin.
I do some experiments tomorrow.
For the last thing, you are saying what SAR should be a better alternative
what MC2 ?.

Edgar

Yahoo! Autos. Más de 100 vehículos vendidos por día.
¿Qué esperás para vender el tuyo?
Hacelo ahora y ganate un premio de Yahoo!
http://autos.yahoo.com.ar/vender/

Re: Helping MC2 to improve

stéphane ducasse-2
Ideally a package should be able to get resources
        picture
        translation
        comment
        license
may be this should be done in a sar but having version of the
ressources would be good too.