Heroku, Cloud9 ...

Geert Claes
Administrator
First Heroku and now cloud9, how about a AIDA/Seaside/Iliad cloud IDE?

Re: Heroku, Cloud9 ...

Janko Mivšek
On 02. 03. 2011 11:48, Geert Claes wrote:

> First Heroku and now cloud9, how about a AIDA/Seaside/Iliad cloud IDE?

Iliad guys are preparing the surprise on IDE front, hopefully useful for
us to :)

Otherwise I think with Aida we are close to the cloud way of doing
business, I'm namely running SaaS (SW as a Service) for years on Aida
hosting, which is of course a cloud!

But to achieve a Heroku like offering, there is a lot of work needed on
plain Smalltalk infrastructure at the one end, and on the other a deadly
simple UI interface at the web app entry points. Former we can actually
work all three web frameworks together, while later each one needs to
make by itself. Ok, I'm hardly waiting on above mentioned IDE from Iliad
guys to adopt on Aida too of course :)

Also, don't forget the WebVelocity from Cincom, this is a workable web
based IDE and they have plans to put it in cloud. Just that it is not
open-sourced and therefore besides ideas mostly unusable for us.

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web

Re: Heroku, Cloud9 ...

Geert Claes
Administrator
Janko Mivšek wrote
On 02. 03. 2011 11:48, Geert Claes wrote:

> First Heroku and now cloud9, how about a AIDA/Seaside/Iliad cloud IDE?

Iliad guys are preparing the surprise on IDE front, hopefully useful for us to :)
Really?  Sounds great!

Janko Mivšek wrote
Otherwise I think with Aida we are close to the cloud way of doing business, I'm namely running SaaS (SW as a Service) for years on Aida hosting, which is of course a cloud!

But to achieve a Heroku like offering, there is a lot of work needed on plain Smalltalk infrastructure at the one end, and on the other a deadly simple UI interface at the web app entry points. Former we can actually
work all three web frameworks together, while later each one needs to make by itself. Ok, I'm hardly waiting on above mentioned IDE from Iliad guys to adopt on Aida too of course :)
The UI bit is what interests me the most and I would love to see what the Iliad guys will come up with

Janko Mivšek wrote
Also, don't forget the WebVelocity from Cincom, this is a workable web based IDE and they have plans to put it in cloud. Just that it is not open-sourced and therefore besides ideas mostly unusable for us.
I have looked at WebVelocity before and while I like some aspects of it, I reckon the WebVelocity UI is horrible from both the usability as well as look-n-feel point of view.  The idea of an IDE in the cloud -  in my view - demands the IDE to be hosted somewhere rather than downloadable.  I suspect that WebVelocity is a Cincom R&D project and they are not really sure yet what direction to take and what business model will work for WebVelocity, so they probably went with the traditional boxed software license type approach they know so well ..... but then again this is just plain guessing on my behalf :)