Heroku, Cloud9 ...

Geert Claes
Administrator
First Heroku and now cloud9, how about a AIDA/Seaside/Iliad cloud IDE?

Re: Heroku, Cloud9 ...

littleSmalltalker
I think it's almost inevitable.
But there's more to it than Cloud9 features..

Cheers,
Avi.

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 12:49 PM, Geert Claes <[hidden email]> wrote:
First Heroku and now cloud9, how about a AIDA/Seaside/Iliad cloud IDE?

Re: Heroku, Cloud9 ...

Geert Claes
Administrator
littleSmalltalker wrote
I think it's almost inevitable.
But there's more to it than Cloud9 features..
Absolutely and I reckon trying to embrace a whole gamut of programming languages is probably not the best idea.  Apparently the Iliad guys are building some sort of IDE http://forum.world.st/Heroku-Cloud9-tp3331324p3331350.html

Re: Heroku, Cloud9 ...

littleSmalltalker
This is interesting, however Heroku is not a reference for Smalltalk IDEs/platforms.
Why? because the image approach, which is inherent within Smalltalk, does not exist in Ruby.

There are much more options and capabilities which you can achieve using image-based approach, compared to file-based programming languages. Monticello is a very basic notion in Smalltalk which doesn't exist in Ruby, for example.

Cheers,
Avi.

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 2:46 PM, Geert Claes <[hidden email]> wrote:

littleSmalltalker wrote:

> I think it's almost inevitable.
> But there's more to it than Cloud9 features..

Absolutely and I reckon trying to embrace a whole gamut of programming
languages is probably not the best idea.  Apparently the Iliad guys are
building some sort of IDE
http://forum.world.st/Heroku-Cloud9-tp3331324p3331350.html

Re: Heroku, Cloud9 ...

sebastianconcept@gmail.co
well yeah but that needs a whole startup approach

On Mar 2, 2011, at 7:49 AM, Geert Claes wrote:

> First Heroku and now cloud9, how about a AIDA/Seaside/Iliad cloud IDE?

Re: Heroku, Cloud9 ...

Steven R. Baker
I've got a lot of notes and ideas on how to do this, but I don't have
the time yet. I really want to work on it. I think Heroku-style
deployment for Smalltalk apps would actually be easier and more
reliable than doing it with Rails apps (which I have tons of
experience with).

Maybe some folks at Smalltalk Solutions want to try some evening
hacking? I'm about a year away from being able to focus on it full
time; but I can do part time nearly immediately.

-Steven

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 9:11 AM, Sebastian Sastre
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> well yeah but that needs a whole startup approach
>

> On Mar 2, 2011, at 7:49 AM, Geert Claes wrote:
>
>> First Heroku and now cloud9, how about a AIDA/Seaside/Iliad cloud IDE?

Re: Heroku, Cloud9 ...

littleSmalltalker
I was contemplating the idea of creating this, while adding a few things which I think are crucial to such service which are non-existent today. I believe it's just a matter of time until Smalltalk will have it's own hosting environment solution.

Avi.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> well yeah but that needs a whole startup approach
>

> On Mar 2, 2011, at 7:49 AM, Geert Claes wrote:
>
>> First Heroku and now cloud9, how about a AIDA/Seaside/Iliad cloud IDE?

Re: Heroku, Cloud9 ...

sebastianconcept@gmail.co
that's the thing. Is so productive that smalltalk should have one.

It's too good. Too clean. Too productive to miss. Is just we didn't find a way that works for making people perceive this.

By many people I mean enough to have a market worthy of an investment.

But everything has changed. Internet is making everything more smalltalk-ish (think javascript, ruby, etc).

That's why I said this idea deserves the startup approach.

In case you want to think it as business wouldn't be crazy to make it a rackspace kind of company that host the apps people develop in that IDE

your customers will be smalltalkers developing in your cloud because
1. you have the right IDE (well, you'll have to have it)
2. you know how to help them scale (well, you'll have to)
3. your make the big money on scale so your prices are very low (so you are a nice guy because you help in create wealth)

There is no need of bullshit plan, you can do this instead.

and who knows, maybe you can raise less money by not having a datacenter but making some partnership with rackspace kind of companies

maybe this is bad now because is too soon to get enough traction right now (and can be good in a couple of years)

so the best thing is actually to be positive and skeptic at the same time

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> well yeah but that needs a whole startup approach
>

> On Mar 2, 2011, at 7:49 AM, Geert Claes wrote:
>
>> First Heroku and now cloud9, how about a AIDA/Seaside/Iliad cloud IDE?

Re: Heroku, Cloud9 ...

Geert Claes
Administrator
I'd really be interested to see what everyone's thoughts are for a Smalltalk PaaS because this is one of the main areas where Smalltalk can be a disruptive technology again.