Hidden dialog

Ian Bartholomew-18
I've just noticed the following slight annoyance on 5.1.4 under Windows
XP.

Start up a clean 5.1.4 image and then, before the splash screen has
disappeared, press the close button on the SystemFolder.  I end up with
a screen that is waiting for me to answer the "Do you want to save the
image" dialog - but I can't as the dialog is not visible.

Selecting "Please confirm" on the task bar gets the dialog visible
again.

--
Ian

Use the Reply-To address to contact me.

Re: Hidden dialog

Blair McGlashan
"Ian Bartholomew" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:IID6c.24621$Y%[hidden email]...

> I've just noticed the following slight annoyance on 5.1.4 under Windows
> XP.
>
> Start up a clean 5.1.4 image and then, before the splash screen has
> disappeared, press the close button on the SystemFolder.  I end up with
> a screen that is waiting for me to answer the "Do you want to save the
> image" dialog - but I can't as the dialog is not visible.
>
> Selecting "Please confirm" on the task bar gets the dialog visible
> again.

Sorry Ian, can't reproduce this. Whenever I try once the splash screen goes
away the prompt to save the image is visible.

A potential cause is that the system exit prompt is opened modally without
specifying the shell to which it is to be modal. This normally works
satisfactorily because the default is to open modal to the active view,
which one would expect to be the one from which one issued the 'exit'
command. Perhaps the splash screen is interfering with this, although I
would have expected that the action of clicking the close button the system
folder would have made the system folder active.

I have noticed a general issue on XP relating to the z-order of modal
dialogs that are opened modal to windows that are not in the foreground at
the time. It seems that sometimes the view comes to the foreground,
sometimes not. Its probably related to the active application at the time,
but I haven't researched it other than having a vague memory of having read
something about it in the MSDN documentation for SetForegroundWindow or some
such.

Regards

Blair

Re: Hidden dialog

Ian Bartholomew-18
Blair,

> Sorry Ian, can't reproduce this. Whenever I try once the splash
> screen goes away the prompt to save the image is visible.

OK, thanks for looking.  As I said it's not really a major problem and
is easily solved.

FWIW, from watching the title bars the actual sequence is

On start up the SystemFolder has focus with the splash screen obscuring
part of it.

Clicking on the SystemFolders close button takes the focus away from the
SystemFolder. I assume the shutdown dialog has focus but I can't see it.

When the splash screen disappears then the "Tip of the Day" appears and
that now has the focus.

After clicking on the close button the wait cursor is displayed over all
the views and neither mouse nor keyboard are recognised.

--
Ian

Use the Reply-To address to contact me.

Re: Hidden dialog

Blair McGlashan
"Ian Bartholomew" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:7SA7c.22754$[hidden email]...

> Blair,
>

> > Sorry Ian, can't reproduce this. Whenever I try once the splash
> > screen goes away the prompt to save the image is visible.
>
> OK, thanks for looking.  As I said it's not really a major problem and
> is easily solved.
>
> FWIW, from watching the title bars the actual sequence is
>
> On start up the SystemFolder has focus with the splash screen obscuring
> part of it.
>
> Clicking on the SystemFolders close button takes the focus away from the
> SystemFolder. I assume the shutdown dialog has focus but I can't see it.
>
> When the splash screen disappears then the "Tip of the Day" appears and
> that now has the focus.
>
> After clicking on the close button the wait cursor is displayed over all
> the views and neither mouse nor keyboard are recognised.

Ah, that's it. I had ToD turned off.

I can see why it might be happenning now. I'll have to consider how that
might be solved.

Regards

Blair