Hiding Connection Sources

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
I went through Dan's server load example, and when I was done, I deleted the clock. I figured if I was really going to publish the app, I wouldn't want the command line and clock floating around, just the graph. However, when I deleted the clock, the script stopped ticking. I finally added the clock and shrunken command line as submorphs of the graph window and made them invisible. But it seemed like a hack e.g. halos could still be brought up on the invisible morphs. What would the "right way" be?

Also, I found it difficult to find the Morph class in the Browser so that I could find out how to make them invisible. I didn't see a search facility, so I hunted around the directory structure until I found it. I even tried cmd+b in a workspace but that didn't seem to work. If I know the name of a class, how best to bring up a browser on it?

Thanks!
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Hiding Connection Sources

timfelgentreff
You can search for definitions using Cmd+Shift+f. When you have an object and want to see what it can do, you can also type a dot and press Cmd+Shift+p to open an autocompletion morph.

The World menu has a Documentation->On Shortcuts item that might be helpful.

cheers,
Tim

Re: Hiding Connection Sources

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Tim Felgentreff-2 wrote
You can search for definitions using Cmd+Shift+f
Thanks :) That's probably not a great choice. On Mac in Chrome, if the mouse focus is not in the right place, it makes Chrome fullscreen :/
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Hiding Connection Sources

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Tim Felgentreff-2 wrote
You can search for definitions using Cmd+Shift+f
That seems to open a method finder. How do I open a class browser on a particular class when I don't know where it lives?
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Hiding Connection Sources

Marko Röder
Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> Tim Felgentreff-2 wrote
>> You can search for definitions using Cmd+Shift+f
>
> That seems to open a method finder. How do I open a class browser on a
> particular class when I don't know where it lives?

Cmd+Shift+F opens a search window with senders (if you had a selection and were not asked for a search string) - tab is prefixed with "S:" - or with senders and implementors (if you were asked for a search string) - tab prefixed with "SI:".
You can browse (most) senders and implementors with the Source Code Browser using the "browse" button in the search window.

Re: Hiding Connection Sources

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Marko Röder wrote
Cmd+Shift+F opens a search window with senders (if you had a selection and were not asked for a search string) - tab is prefixed with "S:" - or with senders and implementors (if you were asked for a search string) - tab prefixed with "SI:".
These all seem to be about methods… I want to search for a *Class*
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Hiding Connection Sources

Marko Röder
Hi Sean -

> Marko Röder wrote
>> Cmd+Shift+F opens a search window with senders (if you had a selection and
>> were not asked for a search string) - tab is prefixed with "S:" - or with
>> senders and implementors (if you were asked for a search string) - tab
>> prefixed with "SI:".
>
> These all seem to be about methods… I want to search for a *Class*

The search can also be used to search for a class an browse it (yet it does not seem intuitive): Try for example "Rectangle" and you will get a list of Rectangle references.
Close to the top of this list, there is an entry "global name: ..." - that is the one you are looking for. When you click on "browse" a System Code Browser will open and show the "Rectangle" class and its location in the system to you.
Sorry that this is not easy/intuitive.

        - Marko

Re: Hiding Connection Sources

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Sean P. DeNigris wrote
I went through Dan's server load example, and when I was done..., when I deleted the clock, the script stopped ticking
After playing some more, I can see that obviously, if the step mechanism is driving the action, then the clock has to be in the world. But the command line can be closed without stopping the chart updating.

But this brings up another interesting implication of relying on Morphs being in the world… the ElProfesor tutorial recommends accessing morphs via this.get() or $morph(). However, this creates duplication everywhere assuming that the Morph will be forever reachable that way. If the Morph needs to be removed from the world, that will all break. Would it be better to abstract at least the top-level application object as a property accessed via $world.getWhatever()
Cheers,
Sean