High CPU use idling

Esteban A. Maringolo
I constantly find Pharo eating the CPU of the VM, from 25% on idle to
100%, which of course heats up any laptop.

The Pharo Process monitor doesn't show anything unusual, but I cannot
tell from that tool if some process is the culprit.

How can I know what is eating the CPU?
Is there a way to kill all the unnecessary process and respawn the needed ones?

I run Pharo 7 within a VirtualBox VM with Lubuntu on a Windows 10 host.
But the CPU issue happens only with Pharo.

Regards,

Image: Pharo-7.0.3+build.164.sha.591a635c8922e5f1cff1d0b3fbf2e525b590d25f
(64 Bit)
Vm: /lib/pharo/5.0-201901051900/pharo (downloaded by PharoLauncher)

Esteban A. Maringolo

Re: High CPU use idling

Esteban A. Maringolo
I did a few extra things to detect the anomaly and I found that this
happens mostly when running on battery (with CPU throttling).

The CPU use gets more intense the more power friendly the power scheme is.

I created an issue with a linked video because this might be happening
only with VirtualBox or some weird combination.

https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/issues/5417

Regards,

Esteban A. Maringolo