Hint and question

leonsmith
I tried fileing out some Pharo code and getting it into Amber. I read
the docs and I understand about the no Class Variables in Amber, but I
saw no mention of the PoolDictionaries syntax that Pharo generates on
a fileout. Just removing them solved my problems. I spent quite a
while on this, almost giving up on Amber. Hope this saves someone some
time.

Also I have a question. I put my .js files in AMBER/st and the
generated javascript files in AMBER/js, but they are not picked up in
the IDE when I launch it locally. Are there other steps I am missing
to make this happen ?

Thanks in advance and thanks again for Amber. As a Smalltalker for
almost two decades, I don't think most people realize the importance
of this development. Amber has so much potential it would take me
pages to explain it all.

Re: Hint and question

leonsmith
Sorry, I missed a step somehow. For now I just added my package to
amber.js. It works great in Firefox but not in Google Chrome (both on
Ubuntu). There are no error messages in Firebug. I'm off looking for
log files now.

On Jan 3, 7:06 am, leonsmith <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I tried fileing out some Pharo code and getting it into Amber. I read
> the docs and I understand about the no Class Variables in Amber, but I
> saw no mention of the PoolDictionaries syntax that Pharo generates on
> a fileout. Just removing them solved my problems. I spent quite a
> while on this, almost giving up on Amber. Hope this saves someone some
> time.
>
> Also I have a question. I put my .js files in AMBER/st and the
> generated javascript files in AMBER/js, but they are not picked up in
> the IDE when I launch it locally. Are there other steps I am missing
> to make this happen ?
>
> Thanks in advance and thanks again for Amber. As a Smalltalker for
> almost two decades, I don't think most people realize the importance
> of this development. Amber has so much potential it would take me
> pages to explain it all.

Re: Hint and question

gokr
On 01/03/2012 04:06 PM, leonsmith wrote:
> I tried fileing out some Pharo code and getting it into Amber. I read
> the docs and I understand about the no Class Variables in Amber, but I
> saw no mention of the PoolDictionaries syntax that Pharo generates on
> a fileout.

Ah... we don't have those either :) My bad.

> Just removing them solved my problems. I spent quite a
> while on this, almost giving up on Amber. Hope this saves someone some
> time.

I will edit the wiki page and add that bit.

> Also I have a question. I put my .js files in AMBER/st and the

You meant "my .st files", right?

> generated javascript files in AMBER/js, but they are not picked up in
> the IDE when I launch it locally. Are there other steps I am missing
> to make this happen ?

Yeah, given your next post you figured it out, but for others, this part
is included in this tutorial:

https://github.com/NicolasPetton/amber/wiki/Writing-my-first-app

Another approach is to use the "file in" button from a Workspace - in
other words, paste in the .st file that you have handcrafted from a
Pharo fileout, select it, press "file in". Then you can commit it as if
you had written the code from the start inside the IDE.

> Thanks in advance and thanks again for Amber. As a Smalltalker for
> almost two decades, I don't think most people realize the importance
> of this development. Amber has so much potential it would take me
> pages to explain it all.

Yep, I agree. It is in some sense the first Smalltalk that really
integrates with a mainstream platform and can thus play a role in a much
larger eco system. In other words, we don't need to reinvent everything
ourselves :)

regards, Göran

Re: Hint and question

Amber Milan Eskridge
2012/1/4 Göran Krampe <[hidden email]>
Another approach is to use the "file in" button from a Workspace - in other words, paste in the .st file that you have handcrafted from a Pharo fileout, select it, press "file in". Then you can commit it as if you had written the code from the start inside the IDE.

Ohh! This is really cool!

Re: Hint and question

leonsmith
I had also thought about starting to code some Pharo methods on the
appropriate Classes, substituting fileOutForAmber for the normal
fileOut methods. That would relieve some of the pressure of keeping up
with changes Pharo may make in the future. Any thoughts on the
validity of this idea ?