Hosted GLASS made easy?

larrry
Hi,

I've been watching a thread on the Seaside mailing list about hosting
GLASS on Amazon's EC2. It hit 60 messages (try this, doesn't work, try
that...).  I'm no sys admin, so I'd like to find cloud hosting for
pharo and Gemstone that is easier to manage.  I got Gemstone & Pharo
running on my mac in just a few hours, but i'm sure that's a lot
easier than a manual install on someone else's remote linux box with
Apache etc.

Is there a reliable cloud hosting environment where the GLASS virtual
appliance might 'just work' out of the box?

thanks.

Larry

Re: Hosted GLASS made easy?

NorbertHartl

Am 25.10.2011 um 03:38 schrieb Larry White:

> Hi,
>
> I've been watching a thread on the Seaside mailing list about hosting
> GLASS on Amazon's EC2. It hit 60 messages (try this, doesn't work, try
> that...).  I'm no sys admin, so I'd like to find cloud hosting for
> pharo and Gemstone that is easier to manage.  I got Gemstone & Pharo
> running on my mac in just a few hours, but i'm sure that's a lot
> easier than a manual install on someone else's remote linux box with
> Apache etc.
>
> Is there a reliable cloud hosting environment where the GLASS virtual
> appliance might 'just work' out of the box?

Don't be misled by a 60 messages thread :) There are always things that should work but in a single case they don't. That doesn't mean the whole thing is that complicated. I never tried Nicks stuff but I'm sure in nearly all cases it will take 10 minutes to get going.

If you just want to host a gemstone application and you are not in a hurry it might be good to wait a little bit. The gemstone guys are in the progress to integrate GLASS services into cloud foundry [1]. There you will be able to deploy your application and only that. You won't have access to the underlying operating system but that means you don't need to care.
If you need to do more integration stuff on the machine than there are a few options. Nicks machine is the best right now IMHO. I myself have developed some scripts that help dealing with some setup things of GLASS [2]. And we are building a bootstrapp chain for a GLASS appliance where you could build your own machine from scratch [3] (which is in very early state and could cause more than 60 messages :) ).

[1] http://www.cloudfoundry.com/
[2] https://github.com/noha/stone-creator
[3] https://github.com/noha/virtual-gemstone

Norbert