Hosting Options these days?

Tim Mackinnon
Hi everyone - are there any easy hobbyist hosting options for seaside these days? Or do you have to setup an Ec2 instance yourself?

Tim

Re: Hosting Options these days?

Alejandro Infante
Hi,
I use DigitalOcean a lot, it is much cheaper than AWS. Unless you want more cloud features, such as Database as a Service, ElasticSearch, etc… DigitalOcean should be enough.

Alejandro

On Apr 26, 2018, at 9:09 AM, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi everyone - are there any easy hobbyist hosting options for seaside these days? Or do you have to setup an Ec2 instance yourself?

Tim

Re: Hosting Options these days?

Tim Mackinnon
Hey thanks - is the smallest droplet enough - 1gb memory?

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone
On 26 Apr 2018, at 14:50, Alejandro Infante <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,
I use DigitalOcean a lot, it is much cheaper than AWS. Unless you want more cloud features, such as Database as a Service, ElasticSearch, etc… DigitalOcean should be enough.

Alejandro

On Apr 26, 2018, at 9:09 AM, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi everyone - are there any easy hobbyist hosting options for seaside these days? Or do you have to setup an Ec2 instance yourself?

Tim

Re: Hosting Options these days?

Tim Mackinnon
Actually I remembered Sven’s zinc tutorial that covers everything. 5gb should be enough for hobby work.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

On 26 Apr 2018, at 18:56, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hey thanks - is the smallest droplet enough - 1gb memory?

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone
On 26 Apr 2018, at 14:50, Alejandro Infante <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,
I use DigitalOcean a lot, it is much cheaper than AWS. Unless you want more cloud features, such as Database as a Service, ElasticSearch, etc… DigitalOcean should be enough.

Alejandro

On Apr 26, 2018, at 9:09 AM, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi everyone - are there any easy hobbyist hosting options for seaside these days? Or do you have to setup an Ec2 instance yourself?

Tim

Re: Hosting Options these days?

Stephan Eggermont-3
Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hey thanks - is the smallest droplet enough - 1gb memory?

Too large. We run two Piers on a 512 MB one (can’t buy them anymore).

Stephan

Re: Hosting Options these days?

Tim Mackinnon
Wow - that’s impressive! What did they charge in the day for a 512?

Sent from my iPhone

> On 26 Apr 2018, at 19:26, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hey thanks - is the smallest droplet enough - 1gb memory?
>
> Too large. We run two Piers on a 512 MB one (can’t buy them anymore).
>
> Stephan

Re: Hosting Options these days?

Stephan Eggermont-3
Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Wow - that’s impressive! What did they charge in the day for a 512?

$5/month, just like for the smallest one now. A few days ago I saw that the
AWS node with nearly a terabyte of ram costs ~$10/hr now. Filling a
terabyte in an hour might be an interesting
challenge though.

Stephan

Re: Hosting Options these days?

Alejandro Infante
Also notice that the 5usd/month of digital ocean is calculated hourly. If you want to do a short experiment for a single day, they will only charge 0.17 usd.

Alejandro

> On Apr 26, 2018, at 5:28 PM, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Wow - that’s impressive! What did they charge in the day for a 512?
>
> $5/month, just like for the smallest one now. A few days ago I saw that the
> AWS node with nearly a terabyte of ram costs ~$10/hr now. Filling a
> terabyte in an hour might be an interesting
> challenge though.
>
> Stephan

Re: Hosting Options these days?

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 26 Apr 2018, at 20:04, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Actually I remembered Sven’s zinc tutorial that covers everything. 5gb should be enough for hobby work.

Hi,

Here is the (older/aging) tutorial:

http://zn.stfx.eu/zn/build-and-deploy-1st-webapp/#runningarealcloudserver

There is also this book chapter

https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/EnterprisePharoBook/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/book-result/DeploymentWeb/DeployForProduction.html

The smallest instance is more than enough to get you started, I also run multiple images on one.

Here is my referral link: https://m.do.co/c/6a0334a169dc ;-)

Sven

> Tim
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 26 Apr 2018, at 18:56, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hey thanks - is the smallest droplet enough - 1gb memory?
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>

>> Sent from my iPhone
>> On 26 Apr 2018, at 14:50, Alejandro Infante <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I use DigitalOcean a lot, it is much cheaper than AWS. Unless you want more cloud features, such as Database as a Service, ElasticSearch, etc… DigitalOcean should be enough.
>>>
>>> https://www.digitalocean.com/pricing/
>>>
>>> Alejandro

Re: Hosting Options these days?

Tim Mackinnon
I found a moment to try out a droplet - wow that’s pretty slick and easy and your link gave me a $10 credit too (nice).

The only thing that didn’t work was trying to pull in code using a Metacello baselineOf from the command line. Note sure why - as I do something similar for Pharo Lambda using gitlab CI - it seems to keep retrying to read the git:// or https:// url and then bombs out. I need to investigate that when  get a moment and maybe we can then update the booklet tutorial.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

> On 26 Apr 2018, at 21:43, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 26 Apr 2018, at 20:04, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Actually I remembered Sven’s zinc tutorial that covers everything. 5gb should be enough for hobby work.
>
> Hi,
>
> Here is the (older/aging) tutorial:
>
> http://zn.stfx.eu/zn/build-and-deploy-1st-webapp/#runningarealcloudserver
>
> There is also this book chapter
>
> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/EnterprisePharoBook/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/book-result/DeploymentWeb/DeployForProduction.html
>
> The smallest instance is more than enough to get you started, I also run multiple images on one.
>
> Here is my referral link: https://m.do.co/c/6a0334a169dc ;-)
>
> Sven
>
>> Tim
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On 26 Apr 2018, at 18:56, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hey thanks - is the smallest droplet enough - 1gb memory?
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>>

>>> Sent from my iPhone

Re: Hosting Options these days?

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 9 May 2018, at 11:59, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I found a moment to try out a droplet - wow that’s pretty slick and easy and your link gave me a $10 credit too (nice).

Great !

> The only thing that didn’t work was trying to pull in code using a Metacello baselineOf from the command line. Note sure why - as I do something similar for Pharo Lambda using gitlab CI - it seems to keep retrying to read the git:// or https:// url and then bombs out. I need to investigate that when  get a moment and maybe we can then update the booklet tutorial.

Hmm, that should 'just work'. I am using the following scripts, maybe those can help you get further along (but as you did Pharo Lambda, you know this shit already).

 https://github.com/svenvc/pharo-server-tools

Now, on a recent Pharo 7 based project, I was using the following, can't remember why exactly

./pharo tickets123.image eval --save 'ConfigurationOfTickets123 loadBleedingEdge'

The eval handler is always a good fallback.

HTH

> Tim
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On 26 Apr 2018, at 21:43, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> On 26 Apr 2018, at 20:04, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Actually I remembered Sven’s zinc tutorial that covers everything. 5gb should be enough for hobby work.
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Here is the (older/aging) tutorial:
>>
>> http://zn.stfx.eu/zn/build-and-deploy-1st-webapp/#runningarealcloudserver
>>
>> There is also this book chapter
>>
>> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/EnterprisePharoBook/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/book-result/DeploymentWeb/DeployForProduction.html
>>
>> The smallest instance is more than enough to get you started, I also run multiple images on one.
>>
>> Here is my referral link: https://m.do.co/c/6a0334a169dc ;-)
>>
>> Sven
>>
>>> Tim
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

Re: Hosting Options these days?

Tim Mackinnon
Hi Sven - I’m not sure if something has changed over the last 6 months, or if my use case is slightly different (I was using gitlab ci vs. Command line on Digital Ocean).

I notice that you use full ConfigurationOfXXXX specs vs. the simpler BaselineOfXXXX ones.

If I try and do:

Iceberg enableMetacelloIntegration: true.
Metacello new
  baseline: 'PagerDuty';
  repository: '[hidden email]:macta/WillowPagerDuty.git';
  load.

I get an error because ZnClient is trying to connect to a url like "http://:80/git@...:macta/WillowPagerDuty.git/?C=M;O%3DD” (so it interprets that git@ specification strangely). This is in a workspace.

But what is weird, is that if I use Iceberg - connected to the same repo (and specified the same way) - and then use the Metacell - Install baseline menu (right click on the BaselineOfXXX package) it then works perfectly.

So I guess that menu operation is not doing that #baseline;repository;load operation. (Which I thought it did).

Maybe this is something I need to move over into the Pharo group - as something odd is going on - and this is the frustration I’ve long had with Iceberg and Metacello and the tooling - its so hard to do what should be simple things.

Tim

> [...]

>   repository: '[hidden email]:macta/WillowPagerDuty.git';
>   load.
>
> I get an error because ZnClient is trying to connect to a url like "http://:80/git@...:macta/WillowPagerDuty.git/?C=M;O%3DD” (so it interprets that git@ specification strangely). This is in a workspace.
>
> But what is weird, is that if I use Iceberg - connected to the same repo (and specified the same way) - and then use the Metacell - Install baseline menu (right click on the BaselineOfXXX package) it then works perfectly.
>
> So I guess that menu operation is not doing that #baseline;repository;load operation. (Which I thought it did).
>
> Maybe this is something I need to move over into the Pharo group - as something odd is going on - and this is the frustration I’ve long had with Iceberg and Metacello and the tooling - its so hard to do what should be simple things.

Yes, please move that question to pharo-dev, I think I have seen this issue before, but this is not my area of expertise.

> Tim
>
>> On 9 May 2018, at 11:12, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> On 9 May 2018, at 11:59, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I found a moment to try out a droplet - wow that’s pretty slick and easy and your link gave me a $10 credit too (nice).
>>
>> Great !
>>
>>> The only thing that didn’t work was trying to pull in code using a Metacello baselineOf from the command line. Note sure why - as I do something similar for Pharo Lambda using gitlab CI - it seems to keep retrying to read the git:// or https:// url and then bombs out. I need to investigate that when  get a moment and maybe we can then update the booklet tutorial.
>>
>> Hmm, that should 'just work'. I am using the following scripts, maybe those can help you get further along (but as you did Pharo Lambda, you know this shit already).
>>
>> https://github.com/svenvc/pharo-server-tools
>>
>> Now, on a recent Pharo 7 based project, I was using the following, can't remember why exactly
>>
>> ./pharo tickets123.image eval --save 'ConfigurationOfTickets123 loadBleedingEdge'
>>
>> The eval handler is always a good fallback.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>>> Tim
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

Re: Hosting Options these days?

Tim Mackinnon
FYI - Gabriel spotted my mistake - there is a protocol for gitlab and you also need to specify the branch so my command should have been:

Iceberg enableMetacelloIntegration: true.
Metacello new
  baseline: 'PagerDuty';
  repository: ‘[hidden email]macta/WillowPagerDuty:master/src';
  load.

Thanks Gaby

Tim