Hosting Options these days?

Tim Mackinnon
Hi everyone - are there any easy hobbyist hosting options for seaside these days? Or do you have to setup an Ec2 instance yourself?

Tim

Re: Hosting Options these days?

Alejandro Infante
Hi,
I use DigitalOcean a lot, it is much cheaper than AWS. Unless you want more cloud features, such as Database as a Service, ElasticSearch, etc… DigitalOcean should be enough.

Alejandro

On Apr 26, 2018, at 9:09 AM, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi everyone - are there any easy hobbyist hosting options for seaside these days? Or do you have to setup an Ec2 instance yourself?

Tim

Re: Hosting Options these days?

Tim Mackinnon
Hey thanks - is the smallest droplet enough - 1gb memory?

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone
On 26 Apr 2018, at 14:50, Alejandro Infante <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,
I use DigitalOcean a lot, it is much cheaper than AWS. Unless you want more cloud features, such as Database as a Service, ElasticSearch, etc… DigitalOcean should be enough.

Alejandro

On Apr 26, 2018, at 9:09 AM, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi everyone - are there any easy hobbyist hosting options for seaside these days? Or do you have to setup an Ec2 instance yourself?

Tim

Re: Hosting Options these days?

Tim Mackinnon
Actually I remembered Sven’s zinc tutorial that covers everything. 5gb should be enough for hobby work.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

On 26 Apr 2018, at 18:56, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hey thanks - is the smallest droplet enough - 1gb memory?

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone
On 26 Apr 2018, at 14:50, Alejandro Infante <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,
I use DigitalOcean a lot, it is much cheaper than AWS. Unless you want more cloud features, such as Database as a Service, ElasticSearch, etc… DigitalOcean should be enough.

Alejandro

On Apr 26, 2018, at 9:09 AM, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi everyone - are there any easy hobbyist hosting options for seaside these days? Or do you have to setup an Ec2 instance yourself?

Tim

Re: Hosting Options these days?

Stephan Eggermont-3
Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hey thanks - is the smallest droplet enough - 1gb memory?

Too large. We run two Piers on a 512 MB one (can’t buy them anymore).

Stephan

Re: Hosting Options these days?

Tim Mackinnon
Wow - that’s impressive! What did they charge in the day for a 512?

Sent from my iPhone

> On 26 Apr 2018, at 19:26, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hey thanks - is the smallest droplet enough - 1gb memory?
>
> Too large. We run two Piers on a 512 MB one (can’t buy them anymore).
>
> Stephan

Re: Hosting Options these days?

Stephan Eggermont-3
Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Wow - that’s impressive! What did they charge in the day for a 512?

$5/month, just like for the smallest one now. A few days ago I saw that the
AWS node with nearly a terabyte of ram costs ~$10/hr now. Filling a
terabyte in an hour might be an interesting
challenge though.

Stephan

Re: Hosting Options these days?

Alejandro Infante
Also notice that the 5usd/month of digital ocean is calculated hourly. If you want to do a short experiment for a single day, they will only charge 0.17 usd.

Alejandro

> On Apr 26, 2018, at 5:28 PM, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Wow - that’s impressive! What did they charge in the day for a 512?
>
> $5/month, just like for the smallest one now. A few days ago I saw that the
> AWS node with nearly a terabyte of ram costs ~$10/hr now. Filling a
> terabyte in an hour might be an interesting
> challenge though.
>
> Stephan

Re: Hosting Options these days?

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 26 Apr 2018, at 20:04, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Actually I remembered Sven’s zinc tutorial that covers everything. 5gb should be enough for hobby work.

Hi,

Here is the (older/aging) tutorial:

http://zn.stfx.eu/zn/build-and-deploy-1st-webapp/#runningarealcloudserver

There is also this book chapter

https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/EnterprisePharoBook/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/book-result/DeploymentWeb/DeployForProduction.html

The smallest instance is more than enough to get you started, I also run multiple images on one.

Here is my referral link: https://m.do.co/c/6a0334a169dc ;-)

Sven

> Tim
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 26 Apr 2018, at 18:56, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hey thanks - is the smallest droplet enough - 1gb memory?
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>

>> Sent from my iPhone
>> On 26 Apr 2018, at 14:50, Alejandro Infante <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I use DigitalOcean a lot, it is much cheaper than AWS. Unless you want more cloud features, such as Database as a Service, ElasticSearch, etc… DigitalOcean should be enough.
>>>
>>> https://www.digitalocean.com/pricing/
>>>
>>> Alejandro

Re: Hosting Options these days?

Tim Mackinnon
I found a moment to try out a droplet - wow that’s pretty slick and easy and your link gave me a $10 credit too (nice).

The only thing that didn’t work was trying to pull in code using a Metacello baselineOf from the command line. Note sure why - as I do something similar for Pharo Lambda using gitlab CI - it seems to keep retrying to read the git:// or https:// url and then bombs out. I need to investigate that when  get a moment and maybe we can then update the booklet tutorial.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

> On 26 Apr 2018, at 21:43, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 26 Apr 2018, at 20:04, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Actually I remembered Sven’s zinc tutorial that covers everything. 5gb should be enough for hobby work.
>
> Hi,
>
> Here is the (older/aging) tutorial:
>
> http://zn.stfx.eu/zn/build-and-deploy-1st-webapp/#runningarealcloudserver
>
> There is also this book chapter
>
> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/EnterprisePharoBook/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/book-result/DeploymentWeb/DeployForProduction.html
>
> The smallest instance is more than enough to get you started, I also run multiple images on one.
>
> Here is my referral link: https://m.do.co/c/6a0334a169dc ;-)
>
> Sven
>
>> Tim
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On 26 Apr 2018, at 18:56, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hey thanks - is the smallest droplet enough - 1gb memory?
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>>

>>> Sent from my iPhone

Re: Hosting Options these days?

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 9 May 2018, at 11:59, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I found a moment to try out a droplet - wow that’s pretty slick and easy and your link gave me a $10 credit too (nice).

Great !

> The only thing that didn’t work was trying to pull in code using a Metacello baselineOf from the command line. Note sure why - as I do something similar for Pharo Lambda using gitlab CI - it seems to keep retrying to read the git:// or https:// url and then bombs out. I need to investigate that when  get a moment and maybe we can then update the booklet tutorial.

Hmm, that should 'just work'. I am using the following scripts, maybe those can help you get further along (but as you did Pharo Lambda, you know this shit already).

 https://github.com/svenvc/pharo-server-tools

Now, on a recent Pharo 7 based project, I was using the following, can't remember why exactly

./pharo tickets123.image eval --save 'ConfigurationOfTickets123 loadBleedingEdge'

The eval handler is always a good fallback.

HTH

> Tim
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On 26 Apr 2018, at 21:43, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> On 26 Apr 2018, at 20:04, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Actually I remembered Sven’s zinc tutorial that covers everything. 5gb should be enough for hobby work.
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Here is the (older/aging) tutorial:
>>
>> http://zn.stfx.eu/zn/build-and-deploy-1st-webapp/#runningarealcloudserver
>>
>> There is also this book chapter
>>
>> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/EnterprisePharoBook/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/book-result/DeploymentWeb/DeployForProduction.html
>>
>> The smallest instance is more than enough to get you started, I also run multiple images on one.
>>
>> Here is my referral link: https://m.do.co/c/6a0334a169dc ;-)
>>
>> Sven
>>
>>> Tim
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

Re: Hosting Options these days?

Tim Mackinnon
Hi Sven - I’m not sure if something has changed over the last 6 months, or if my use case is slightly different (I was using gitlab ci vs. Command line on Digital Ocean).

I notice that you use full ConfigurationOfXXXX specs vs. the simpler BaselineOfXXXX ones.

If I try and do:

Iceberg enableMetacelloIntegration: true.
Metacello new
  baseline: 'PagerDuty';
  repository: '[hidden email]:macta/WillowPagerDuty.git';
  load.

I get an error because ZnClient is trying to connect to a url like "http://:80/git@...:macta/WillowPagerDuty.git/?C=M;O%3DD” (so it interprets that git@ specification strangely). This is in a workspace.

But what is weird, is that if I use Iceberg - connected to the same repo (and specified the same way) - and then use the Metacell - Install baseline menu (right click on the BaselineOfXXX package) it then works perfectly.

So I guess that menu operation is not doing that #baseline;repository;load operation. (Which I thought it did).

Maybe this is something I need to move over into the Pharo group - as something odd is going on - and this is the frustration I’ve long had with Iceberg and Metacello and the tooling - its so hard to do what should be simple things.

Tim

> [...]

>   repository: '[hidden email]:macta/WillowPagerDuty.git';
>   load.
>
> I get an error because ZnClient is trying to connect to a url like "http://:80/git@...:macta/WillowPagerDuty.git/?C=M;O%3DD” (so it interprets that git@ specification strangely). This is in a workspace.
>
> But what is weird, is that if I use Iceberg - connected to the same repo (and specified the same way) - and then use the Metacell - Install baseline menu (right click on the BaselineOfXXX package) it then works perfectly.
>
> So I guess that menu operation is not doing that #baseline;repository;load operation. (Which I thought it did).
>
> Maybe this is something I need to move over into the Pharo group - as something odd is going on - and this is the frustration I’ve long had with Iceberg and Metacello and the tooling - its so hard to do what should be simple things.

Yes, please move that question to pharo-dev, I think I have seen this issue before, but this is not my area of expertise.

> Tim
>
>> On 9 May 2018, at 11:12, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> On 9 May 2018, at 11:59, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I found a moment to try out a droplet - wow that’s pretty slick and easy and your link gave me a $10 credit too (nice).
>>
>> Great !
>>
>>> The only thing that didn’t work was trying to pull in code using a Metacello baselineOf from the command line. Note sure why - as I do something similar for Pharo Lambda using gitlab CI - it seems to keep retrying to read the git:// or https:// url and then bombs out. I need to investigate that when  get a moment and maybe we can then update the booklet tutorial.
>>
>> Hmm, that should 'just work'. I am using the following scripts, maybe those can help you get further along (but as you did Pharo Lambda, you know this shit already).
>>
>> https://github.com/svenvc/pharo-server-tools
>>
>> Now, on a recent Pharo 7 based project, I was using the following, can't remember why exactly
>>
>> ./pharo tickets123.image eval --save 'ConfigurationOfTickets123 loadBleedingEdge'
>>
>> The eval handler is always a good fallback.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>>> Tim
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

Re: Hosting Options these days?

Tim Mackinnon
FYI - Gabriel spotted my mistake - there is a protocol for gitlab and you also need to specify the branch so my command should have been:

Iceberg enableMetacelloIntegration: true.
Metacello new
  baseline: 'PagerDuty';
  repository: ‘[hidden email]macta/WillowPagerDuty:master/src';
  load.

Thanks Gaby

Tim

On 10 May 2018, at 00:20, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

JaimeClark
You can also opt for the managed DigitalOcean which is powered by Cloudways
and can avail all the option that you are looking for and are not able to
use with the conventional DigitalOcean server.

--
Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Seaside-General-f86180.html