How Open Source Software Blooms: Gource Version Control Visualizations From Google

How Open Source Software Blooms: Gource Version Control Visualizations From Google

Angel Java Lopez
I want to share with this list, this outstanding visualization of open source project evolution:

See the evolution of a project. It's one of the reasons I prefer public repos, based on Git, Mercurial or alike.

Re: How Open Source Software Blooms: Gource Version Control Visualizations From Google

garduino
Yes, Indeed, is the power of open source! :)

2013/1/7 Angel Java Lopez <[hidden email]>
I want to share with this list, this outstanding visualization of open source project evolution:

See the evolution of a project. It's one of the reasons I prefer public repos, based on Git, Mercurial or alike.

Re: How Open Source Software Blooms: Gource Version Control Visualizations From Google

Angel Java Lopez
And one link more, for future references, about pull request in Git/GitHub

It could be used as a guide for any GitHub project collaborator

Only a few lines are "Node-dependent" (the commands that start with 'npm').

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 7:50 AM, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, Indeed, is the power of open source! :)

Re: How Open Source Software Blooms: Gource Version Control Visualizations From Google

garduino
Thanks for the contribution Angel.

I need to learn a lot about GitHub still....

2013/1/7 Angel Java Lopez <[hidden email]>
And one link more, for future references, about pull request in Git/GitHub

It could be used as a guide for any GitHub project collaborator

Only a few lines are "Node-dependent" (the commands that start with 'npm').

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 7:50 AM, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, Indeed, is the power of open source! :)

Re: How Open Source Software Blooms: Gource Version Control Visualizations From Google

Hannes Hirzel
Hello,

Yes, thank you as well for this contribution, Angel.

Amazing to watch these visualizations.

From the perspective of the examples given (PhP, Python, OpenOffice,
....) the forking of Squeak to Pharo and Cuis (and other earlier forks
like Scratch and Etoys) seems not to be  something extraordinary. It
is the way how open source software is developed to suit people's
need.

Interesting to see how pieces of code are exchanged forth and back
between the different forks. This is actually happens as well between
Squeak (www.squeak.org) , Pharo (http://www.pharo-project.org/)  and
Cuis. All share a common virtual machine and _very_ important, the
same license (MIT). This makes things go smooth.

It is helpful to check out how something is done in Squeak and Pharo
in comparison to Cuis for example. It allows to search for good
solutions. Having different forks unblocks the development process in
many ways as it allows to be exploratory.

For Cuis one of the distinctive features is that we really want to
make good use of github.
(as of now we have just started to do that, thank you Angel for your
guidance   :-)

--Hannes

On 1/7/13, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, Indeed, is the power of open source! :)
>
> 2013/1/7 Angel Java Lopez <[hidden email]>
>
>> I want to share with this list, this outstanding visualization of open
>> source project evolution:
>>

>> http://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonykosner/2013/01/01/how-open-source-software-blooms-gource-version-control-visualizations-from-google/
>>
>> See the evolution of a project. It's one of the reasons I prefer public
>> repos, based on Git, Mercurial or alike.

Re: How Open Source Software Blooms: Gource Version Control Visualizations From Google

garduino
Hi:

2013/1/7 H. Hirzel <[hidden email]>
Hello,

Yes, thank you as well for this contribution, Angel.

Amazing to watch these visualizations.

From the perspective of the examples given (PhP, Python, OpenOffice,
[...]

A little comment here, I think the greatest value of Cuis is cleaning and simplicity,
is really understandable. I can not say the same about Squeak nor Pharo.

I'm going deep in both images (Squeak 4.4 and Pharo 1.4) to make the cleanest possible
implementation of network features needed in Cuis and the nightmare is important (Said
with all respect, of course).