How a short trip to Python-land taught me why Smalltalk is hard

How a short trip to Python-land taught me why Smalltalk is hard

jtuchel
I am not actually a Smalltalk newbie, but still find it sometomes hard to get into areas I've never touched before. For some stuff that was related mostly to problems with encoding and decoding between utf-8 and iso-8859-15 on both Windows and Linux and strange differences between these platforms, I thought I'd use something that peopl "out there" use daily.

I chose python. I had never written anything in Python before, but it was easy to stipple together a few working programs. It took me just a few hours to find out about Skyper and some important language constructs and stuff. It was a pleasant journey for two reasons:

  • No need to learn any tools. Just an editor and a command line and you're on yur journey
  • You find lots of documentation and examples on the web. It feels like VB in the days: type  a few keywords into your web browser and copy the sources for a 70% solution of your problem

Back when I was young and cared for whether my preferred language was popular or not, I would be depressed by the experience. Remember, I tried Python because things were hard in Smalltalk.

So spot the message here... ;-)

Joachim

Re: How a short trip to Python-land taught me why Smalltalk is hard

So what do you do to improve the situation of our community?
I mean do you think documentation autowrite itself? Did you write something that others can use?

You see from time to time I would love to read docs that I did not write.
If people would follow sven excellent practices our framework would be a lot better documented.

Stef

On 6 Jul 2018, at 15:36, [hidden email] wrote:

[...]

03 59 35 87 52
Assistant: Julie Jonas
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley,
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

Re: How a short trip to Python-land taught me why Smalltalk is hard

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
jgfoster wrote
> My goal for ESUG is to present some of lessons and offer some on-line
> resources that make Smalltalk a bit more approachable

Cool! Looking forward to it :)

-----
Cheers,
Sean
--
Sent from: http://forum.world.st/ESUG-f1589038.html

Sean

Re: How a short trip to Python-land taught me why Smalltalk is hard

jtuchel
Hi Stef,

good point - the days when I was into Smalltalk advocacy seem to be long gone. Point taken ;-) Like yours, my day has roughly about 24 hours and I am trying to build and run a business and a family. A few years ago, it was way easier for me to blog and podcast and stuff. Smalltalk advocacy is not on my agenda very often these days - I hope I can improve on that.

+1 on Sven's excellent work, both in code and documentation as well as his helpfulness on all forums.

Joachim

Am 09.07.18 um 21:49 schrieb Stéphane Ducasse:
[...]

Stéphane Ducasse
I'm not talking about advocacy :).
And Pharo is for growing business but also in a community manner because all together sharing code
we get stronger.

I wish you a lot of business.

[...]

Objektfabrik Joachim Tuchel          [hidden email]
Fliederweg 1                         http://www.objektfabrik.de
D-71640 Ludwigsburg                  http://joachimtuchel.wordpress.com
Telefon: +49 7141 56 10 86 0         Fax: +49 7141 56 10 86 1

03 59 35 87 52
Assistant: Julie Jonas
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley,
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

Re: How a short trip to Python-land taught me why Smalltalk is hard

Igor Stasenko

On Fri, 6 Jul 2018 at 16:37, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am not actually a Smalltalk newbie, but still find it sometomes hard to get into areas I've never touched before. For some stuff that was related mostly to problems with encoding and decoding between utf-8 and iso-8859-15 on both Windows and Linux and strange differences between these platforms, I thought I'd use something that peopl "out there" use daily.

I chose python. I had never written anything in Python before, but it was easy to stipple together a few working programs. It took me just a few hours to find out about Skyper and some important language constructs and stuff. It was a pleasant journey for two reasons:

  • No need to learn any tools. Just an editor and a command line and you're on yur journey
Ever tried to write C bindings for Python? Try. I wanna see how you would do that without proper tools (C IDE, CMake, Makefiles etc yadda yadda)
  • You find lots of documentation and examples on the web. It feels like VB in the days: type  a few keywords into your web browser and copy the sources for a 70% solution of your problem

Back when I was young and cared for whether my preferred language was popular or not, I would be depressed by the experience. Remember, I tried Python because things were hard in Smalltalk.

You can find even more if you use HTML/CSS/Javascript. So why bothering with python? :)

P.S. my stone hammer way better than your steel hydraulic press. And besides it is easy to use, and there's a lot of documentation and how-to's for it.

So spot the message here... ;-)

Joachim

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: How a short trip to Python-land taught me why Smalltalk is hard

Tim Mackinnon
Hey guys - let’s not shoot the messenger on this.

All feedback gratefully received, we know there’s still lots of work to do even after the excellent progress that has been made.

I know at times I get frustrated too , but am inspired by some of the great things going on. Equally it hurts to get negative feedback too.

We need to rally together to get some of this stuff finished, and keep chipping away at things.

I’d like to better understand the original problem - do we still have this encoding/decoding problem in Pharo 7? And can we ensure common things are documented in a clear place for others to follow.

I think we have a bit of a documentation versioning issue - as lots of old things seem to come up in search results (our SEO is not brilliant on this - although a move to github might help a lot if we can create good pointers in readme.md files).

This doesn’t seem like an unsolvable problem, and I’d like to see us learn from someone who has experienced something concrete.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone