How can I get more info about an AlmostOutOfStack?

How can I get more info about an AlmostOutOfStack?

GLASS mailing list
Hi guys,

I am getting a:

AlmostOutOfStack occurred (notification 2059), Smalltalk execution stack error, 'overflow during execution'

Of course, I know that 99% of the times I get this is because of an infinitive loop. But it's not easy for me to guess where. Is there a way to get an idea of which is that infinitive loop that is causing the AlmostOutOfStack?

Thanks in advance,

Re: How can I get more info about an AlmostOutOfStack?

GLASS mailing list

If you are using tODE a couple of different tricks come to mind ...

The tODE debugger underlines stack frames with the same receiver, so you could click on a frame the debugger and then scroll down the stack to see if you can recognize a pattern in the stack with different receivers...

Select the `Window>print window` menu item in the frame list pane of the debugger, then select the name of a likely method and then use the `Text>set search string` menu item to get the nice search string highlighting and then scroll through the text window looking for matches or use the `Text>find again` menu item to jump to the next occurrence of the string ...

Select the `Window>inspect client element` menu item in the frame list pane, scroll down to and select the `theObject` field, then select the `stackNode` field and then select the `frames` field and you'll be looking at an ordered collection of tode context objects. Pressing `esc` while looking at the collection will bring up a ws window whose self is the collection ... then you could write some smalltalk code scanning the stack for repeating patterns ...

Dale