How can I help make installing Pharo easier (on Debian Wheezy)?

How can I help make installing Pharo easier (on Debian Wheezy)?

Sloane Simmons
Hi all,

Apologies if this is not the right place for this - I'm just getting
started with Smalltalk and I had a lot of trouble when first trying to
get going since the binaries on pharo.org don't work with Debian
Wheezy's glibc (2.13, whereas Pharo is compiled against 2.15 IIRC).  I
tried compiling from the Github repository
(https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-vm), but it looks this needs
an existing binary version of pharo to work in order to bootstrap the
compilation.  I eventually just used a virtualbox Ubuntu environment
(14.04) and was able to install there.

For learning Smalltalk, running in a virtualbox VM absolutely works
(for me), but I'd like to try and compile for Debian stable (or
statically link glibc(?)) and then add to the official repositories so
that it's easier to install.  Bonus points would be making a 64-bit
version... ;)

Thanks,
Sloane Simmons

Re: How can I help make installing Pharo easier (on Debian Wheezy)?

kilon.alios
I have never compiled the VM myself so take any advice with a big grain of salt. First there is no 64 bit version of Pharo, there is work to port the VM to 64 bit and some first goals have been met but still a work in progress.

Second in order to build the VM you will need firs VMMaker, basically what Squeak and Pharo do VM wise is use a special language called Slang which basically a C like smalltalk that compiles to ... well .... C , then you take the generate C source and compile the VM together with some hand made C code again for the VM.  There is a post of Mariano for the Stack VM which is the old vm and the Cog VM which is the VM currently used by Squeak and Pharo that has the added advantage of JIT compiler which means much more speed. Mariano's post is old but it may still work for compiling for VM so here it is

I am still a newcomer to Pharo so if you want more help wait for some of the experienced pharo coders to reply

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 10:51 PM, Sloane Simmons <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

EstebanLM
hi,

you need to use this one:

it will do the work :)

and yes, there is no 64bits version (yet) of the VM. It is planned for some point of next year (hopefully spring).

cheers,
Esteban

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 10:09 PM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Damien Cassou
On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 9:51 PM, Sloane Simmons <[hidden email]> wrote:
> For learning Smalltalk, running in a virtualbox VM absolutely works
> (for me), but I'd like to try and compile for Debian stable (or
> statically link glibc(?)) and then add to the official repositories so
> that it's easier to install.  Bonus points would be making a 64-bit
> version... ;)

You have a few solutions solutions:

1/ try this http://files.pharo.org/vm/pharo/linux/old-libc/pharovm-ubuntu804.tar.gz
2/ try the .deb file for Ubuntu that is closest to your distribution:
https://launchpad.net/~pharo/+archive/unstable/+packages
3/ create a .deb file yourself using the deb generator scripts I
wrote: https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-ubuntu/tree/master/pharo-vm-core-i386
(as soon as it is compiled, it will work fine on 64 bits
architectures)
4/ use the nix package manager that already has a package for Pharo:
http://nixos.org/nix/manual/. Nix can very easily be installed on any
Unix system including Debian and Mac OSX

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm."
Winston Churchill

Re: How can I help make installing Pharo easier (on Debian Wheezy)?

philippeback

---
Philippe Back
Visible Performance Improvements
Mob: +32(0) 478 650 140 | Fax: +32 (0) 70 408 027
Blog: http://philippeback.be | Twitter: @philippeback

High Octane SPRL
rue cour Boisacq 101 | 1301 Bierges | Belgium

Pharo Consortium Member - http://consortium.pharo.org/
Featured on the Software Process and Measurement Cast - http://spamcast.libsyn.com
Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect and Ability Engineering EADocX Value Added Reseller

1/ try this <a href="http://files.pharo.org/vm/pharo/linux/old-libc/pharovm-ubuntu804.tar.gz 2/" target="_blank">http://files.pharo.org/vm/pharo/linux/old-libc/pharovm-ubuntu804.tar.gz
2/ try the .deb file for Ubuntu that is closest to your distribution:
https://launchpad.net/~pharo/+archive/unstable/+packages
3/ create a .deb file yourself using the deb generator scripts I
wrote: https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-ubuntu/tree/master/pharo-vm-core-i386
(as soon as it is compiled, it will work fine on 64 bits
architectures)
4/ use the nix package manager that already has a package for Pharo:
http://nixos.org/nix/manual/. Nix can very easily be installed on any
Unix system including Debian and Mac OSX

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm."
Winston Churchill

Re: How can I help make installing Pharo easier (on Debian Wheezy)?

Sloane Simmons
>http://files.pharo.org/vm/pharo/linux/old-libc/pharovm-ubuntu804.tar.gz

I'll give this another look; I had tried this and I think this was
mostly working, but think I ran into some problems when using the
latest image/sources with the old VM.  (May have just been that I set
things up properly, or was using an old image as well).  I'll give it
another go for bootstrapping.

>https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-ubuntu/tree/master/pharo-vm-core-i386

Was not aware of this; I'll also try this.

>http://philippeback.be/2014/02/pharovm-now-running-on-debian-wheezy/

Upgrading glibc would really be a last resort (for me); I'd probably
just upgrade my distro to unstable if doing this, but I *know* things
will break.

>4/ use the nix package manager that already has a package for Pharo:
I've never tried Nix but I could give that package a shot as well.

Thanks for all of the responses!  I'm still just working by through
the Pharo by Example book, so for now I'm just focused on learning
Smalltalk, but I'll use one of the methods above, and try to put
together a package for Debian.  Someone else may want to be the
maintainer(?), but I'll do my best in getting it submitted, assuming
that I can get it working on my machine first, of course ;).

Regards,
Sloane

On 16 Sep 2014, at 16:10, Sloane Simmons <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> http://files.pharo.org/vm/pharo/linux/old-libc/pharovm-ubuntu804.tar.gz
>
> I'll give this another look; I had tried this and I think this was
> mostly working, but think I ran into some problems when using the
> latest image/sources with the old VM.  (May have just been that I set
> things up properly, or was using an old image as well).  I'll give it
> another go for bootstrapping.

I have scheduled to build a new vm for old glibc… some moment this week, I hope.
(I also have scheduled configure a job to automate that… I would try both, he)

Esteban