How can I listen to my app?

Chris Muller-3
I've decided I want to get a feel for what my app is doing and at what
rate by, literally, listening to it.  I want to put in some brief
beeps into strategic locations.

But sound is an area where I have exactly zero experience.  I want the
sounds to play but with minimal impact on the running program; i.e.,
I'm willing to make the beeps very short, but even a 10ms beep (would
I even be able to hear that?) would slow the program down.

And yet, if I tried to play them in the background, they will not be
in-sync with with the real-time state of the app.  I suppose another
option would be to record the events I'm interested in and their time
and play them back later, but I'm more interested in the *real-time*
state.

Finally, how can I play any sound at all with Squeak and Cog on Linux?
 When I try some of the demo sounds on FMSound, there is no sound and
I see this message in the console:

    sound: /dev/dsp: No such file or directory

Of course, no other apps on this machine have any trouble playing
sounds, so is something simply pointing in the wrong place?

Thanks.

Re: How can I listen to my app?

Chris Muller-3
squeak -help reports:

Available drivers:
  vm-sound-null
  vm-sound-ALSA
  vm-sound-OSS

But when I try:

   squeak -vm sound=ALSA my.image

and try to play a sound I get this on the console:

   sound_Start(default)
   soundStart: snd_add_pcm_handler: Function not implemented

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 2:42 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've decided I want to get a feel for what my app is doing and at what
> rate by, literally, listening to it.  I want to put in some brief
> beeps into strategic locations.
>
> But sound is an area where I have exactly zero experience.  I want the
> sounds to play but with minimal impact on the running program; i.e.,
> I'm willing to make the beeps very short, but even a 10ms beep (would
> I even be able to hear that?) would slow the program down.
>
> And yet, if I tried to play them in the background, they will not be
> in-sync with with the real-time state of the app.  I suppose another
> option would be to record the events I'm interested in and their time
> and play them back later, but I'm more interested in the *real-time*
> state.
>
> Finally, how can I play any sound at all with Squeak and Cog on Linux?
>  When I try some of the demo sounds on FMSound, there is no sound and
> I see this message in the console:
>
>     sound: /dev/dsp: No such file or directory
>
> Of course, no other apps on this machine have any trouble playing
> sounds, so is something simply pointing in the wrong place?
>
> Thanks.

Re: How can I listen to my app?

Herbert König
Hi Chris,

in the scratch start script on the Raspberry Pi it says:
VMOPTIONS="$VMOPTIONS -vm-sound-alsa"

Only have SSH Access to my Pi but I know Scratch plays sound while
Squeak doesn't on the Pi.

Re your other question: It's said that musicians can distinguish two
sounds starting 6 ms apart as two different sounds which kind of implies
that the untrained ear hears them as one sound. Otherwise you should be
able to hear such a short sound but IIRC the human ear decides in the
first 100 ms what instrument it hears. So I assume it will be hard to
distinguish different sounds as short as 10 ms.

I suggest you create wav files in Squeak and play them back via VLC to
find out what you hear. AbstractSound is your friend here. I can go dig
in my old code if you need help.

Cheers

Herbert

Am 11.09.2014 um 21:47 schrieb Chris Muller:

> squeak -help reports:
>
> Available drivers:
>    vm-sound-null
>    vm-sound-ALSA
>    vm-sound-OSS
>
> But when I try:
>
>     squeak -vm sound=ALSA my.image
>
> and try to play a sound I get this on the console:
>
>     sound_Start(default)
>     soundStart: snd_add_pcm_handler: Function not implemented
>

> On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 2:42 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I've decided I want to get a feel for what my app is doing and at what
>> rate by, literally, listening to it.  I want to put in some brief
>> beeps into strategic locations.
>>
>> But sound is an area where I have exactly zero experience.  I want the
>> sounds to play but with minimal impact on the running program; i.e.,
>> I'm willing to make the beeps very short, but even a 10ms beep (would
>> I even be able to hear that?) would slow the program down.
>>
>> And yet, if I tried to play them in the background, they will not be
>> in-sync with with the real-time state of the app.  I suppose another
>> option would be to record the events I'm interested in and their time
>> and play them back later, but I'm more interested in the *real-time*
>> state.
>>
>> Finally, how can I play any sound at all with Squeak and Cog on Linux?
>>   When I try some of the demo sounds on FMSound, there is no sound and
>> I see this message in the console:
>>
>>      sound: /dev/dsp: No such file or directory
>>
>> Of course, no other apps on this machine have any trouble playing
>> sounds, so is something simply pointing in the wrong place?
>>
>> Thanks.

Re: How can I listen to my app?

Herbert König
Hey, got too curious myself.

Here's a snippet I found in a Workspace. AudioSample data was just a
class of mine which could create diverse audio samples used for
measurements.
All was done in 3.8.

dats := AudioSampleData multiSineArray asFloatArray.
dats /= dats max. dats *= 32000.
nd := Array new: dats size * 2.
dats withIndexDo: [:ea :ind| nd at: 2* ind put: ea asInteger; at: 2 *
ind - 1 put: ea asInteger].
ss := (SampledSound new setSamples: nd  samplingRate: 48000)
ss play. ss duration
dats:= nil. nd:= nil. ss := nil.
SoundPlayer stopReverb
SoundPlayer shutDown

Here's one writing a wav file:
success ifTrue:
         [(SampledSound samples: inputData samplingRate: sampleRate)
             storeWAVOnFileNamed: anotherString.]

Hope that helps a bit.

Cheers, Herbert

Re: How can I listen to my app?

Edgar De Cleene

On 9/11/14, 4:42 PM, "Chris Muller" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've decided I want to get a feel for what my app is doing and at what
> rate by, literally, listening to it.  I want to put in some brief
> beeps into strategic locations.
>
> But sound is an area where I have exactly zero experience.  I want the
> sounds to play but with minimal impact on the running program; i.e.,
> I'm willing to make the beeps very short, but even a 10ms beep (would
> I even be able to hear that?) would slow the program down.
>
> And yet, if I tried to play them in the background, they will not be
> in-sync with with the real-time state of the app.  I suppose another
> option would be to record the events I'm interested in and their time
> and play them back later, but I'm more interested in the *real-time*
> state.
>
> Finally, how can I play any sound at all with Squeak and Cog on Linux?
>  When I try some of the demo sounds on FMSound, there is no sound and
> I see this message in the console:
>
>     sound: /dev/dsp: No such file or directory
>
> Of course, no other apps on this machine have any trouble playing
> sounds, so is something simply pointing in the wrong place?
>
> Thanks.

You can do in FunSqueak 4.6 alpha, also listen .mp3 and play the old Heads
singing.
See first video on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKDUP9xQY4c
Still fighting with very old issues as MorphicWrappers load but can't work
as previous FunSqueak 4.2.
Anyway I upload complete image and Cog3060 for mac with all same plugins as
Squeak 4.5 All in one this weekend.

Edgar

Re: How can I listen to my app?

David T. Lewis
On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 02:47:55PM -0500, Chris Muller wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 2:42 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I've decided I want to get a feel for what my app is doing and at what
> > rate by, literally, listening to it.  I want to put in some brief
> > beeps into strategic locations.
> >
> > But sound is an area where I have exactly zero experience.  I want the
> > sounds to play but with minimal impact on the running program; i.e.,
> > I'm willing to make the beeps very short, but even a 10ms beep (would
> > I even be able to hear that?) would slow the program down.
> >
> > And yet, if I tried to play them in the background, they will not be
> > in-sync with with the real-time state of the app.  I suppose another
> > option would be to record the events I'm interested in and their time
> > and play them back later, but I'm more interested in the *real-time*
> > state.
> >
> > Finally, how can I play any sound at all with Squeak and Cog on Linux?
> >  When I try some of the demo sounds on FMSound, there is no sound and
> > I see this message in the console:
> >
> >     sound: /dev/dsp: No such file or directory
> >
> > Of course, no other apps on this machine have any trouble playing
> > sounds, so is something simply pointing in the wrong place?
>
> squeak -help reports:
>
> Available drivers:
>   vm-sound-null
>   vm-sound-ALSA
>   vm-sound-OSS
>
> But when I try:
>
>    squeak -vm sound=ALSA my.image
>
> and try to play a sound I get this on the console:
>
>    sound_Start(default)
>    soundStart: snd_add_pcm_handler: Function not implemented

Sound works fine on my trusty SuSE box, but not at all on my user-friendly
but generally untrustworthy Ubuntu laptop. What kind of system are you using?

Sound systems have been changing on Linux distributions, and I suspect that
we may be falling behind in our support for this.

Dave

Re: How can I listen to my app?

Chris Muller-3
On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 6:38 PM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 02:47:55PM -0500, Chris Muller wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 2:42 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > I've decided I want to get a feel for what my app is doing and at what
>> > rate by, literally, listening to it.  I want to put in some brief
>> > beeps into strategic locations.
>> >
>> > But sound is an area where I have exactly zero experience.  I want the
>> > sounds to play but with minimal impact on the running program; i.e.,
>> > I'm willing to make the beeps very short, but even a 10ms beep (would
>> > I even be able to hear that?) would slow the program down.
>> >
>> > And yet, if I tried to play them in the background, they will not be
>> > in-sync with with the real-time state of the app.  I suppose another
>> > option would be to record the events I'm interested in and their time
>> > and play them back later, but I'm more interested in the *real-time*
>> > state.
>> >
>> > Finally, how can I play any sound at all with Squeak and Cog on Linux?
>> >  When I try some of the demo sounds on FMSound, there is no sound and
>> > I see this message in the console:
>> >
>> >     sound: /dev/dsp: No such file or directory
>> >
>> > Of course, no other apps on this machine have any trouble playing
>> > sounds, so is something simply pointing in the wrong place?
>>
>> squeak -help reports:
>>
>> Available drivers:
>>   vm-sound-null
>>   vm-sound-ALSA
>>   vm-sound-OSS
>>
>> But when I try:
>>
>>    squeak -vm sound=ALSA my.image
>>
>> and try to play a sound I get this on the console:
>>
>>    sound_Start(default)
>>    soundStart: snd_add_pcm_handler: Function not implemented
>>

> Sound works fine on my trusty SuSE box, but not at all on my user-friendly
> but generally untrustworthy Ubuntu laptop. What kind of system are you using?

I'm using one of the most popular Linux distros, Ubuntu.

I tried the -vm-sound-alsa switch to the vm (instead of -vm
sound=ALSA) but the same message is produced on the console when I try
to "FMSound pluckedElecBass play".

   sound_Start(default)
   soundStart: snd_add_pcm_handler: Function not implemented

Does this mean that Cog does not support sound?  Using "-vm sound=OSS"....
WAIT!!!
Success!!!

I managed to get a sound out of Cog by:

  1) copying so.vm-sound-pulse from my interpreter VM lib directory to
Cog's lib directory
  2) renaming so.vm-sound-pulse to vm-sound-pulse
  3) setting execute permissions on vm-sound-pulse

With that, I can actually get sound out of Squeak..

And, now, when I do squeak -help, "vm-sound-pulse" is now listed.

Eliot, do you think we could eventually include this driver in your
Cog releases?

> Sound systems have been changing on Linux distributions, and I suspect that
> we may be falling behind in our support for this.
>
> Dave

re: How can I listen to my app?

ccrraaiigg

> I've decided I want to get a feel for what my app is doing and at what
> rate by, literally, listening to it.  I want to put in some brief
> beeps into strategic locations... I want the sounds to play but with
> minimal impact on the running program...

     Perhaps that means doing the equivalent of sending a remote
message: to make a sound, send a special packet to a sound server
running elsewhere with its own resources (e.g., another machine).

-C

--
Craig Latta
netjam.org

Re: How can I listen to my app?

Eliot Miranda-2

On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 8:44 AM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 6:38 PM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 02:47:55PM -0500, Chris Muller wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 2:42 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > I've decided I want to get a feel for what my app is doing and at what
>> > rate by, literally, listening to it.  I want to put in some brief
>> > beeps into strategic locations.
>> >
>> > But sound is an area where I have exactly zero experience.  I want the
>> > sounds to play but with minimal impact on the running program; i.e.,
>> > I'm willing to make the beeps very short, but even a 10ms beep (would
>> > I even be able to hear that?) would slow the program down.
>> >
>> > And yet, if I tried to play them in the background, they will not be
>> > in-sync with with the real-time state of the app.  I suppose another
>> > option would be to record the events I'm interested in and their time
>> > and play them back later, but I'm more interested in the *real-time*
>> > state.
>> >
>> > Finally, how can I play any sound at all with Squeak and Cog on Linux?
>> >  When I try some of the demo sounds on FMSound, there is no sound and
>> > I see this message in the console:
>> >
>> >     sound: /dev/dsp: No such file or directory
>> >
>> > Of course, no other apps on this machine have any trouble playing
>> > sounds, so is something simply pointing in the wrong place?
>>
>> squeak -help reports:
>>
>> Available drivers:
>>   vm-sound-null
>>   vm-sound-ALSA
>>   vm-sound-OSS
>>
>> But when I try:
>>
>>    squeak -vm sound=ALSA my.image
>>
>> and try to play a sound I get this on the console:
>>
>>    sound_Start(default)
>>    soundStart: snd_add_pcm_handler: Function not implemented
>>

> Sound works fine on my trusty SuSE box, but not at all on my user-friendly
> but generally untrustworthy Ubuntu laptop. What kind of system are you using?

I'm using one of the most popular Linux distros, Ubuntu.

I tried the -vm-sound-alsa switch to the vm (instead of -vm
sound=ALSA) but the same message is produced on the console when I try
to "FMSound pluckedElecBass play".

   sound_Start(default)
   soundStart: snd_add_pcm_handler: Function not implemented

Does this mean that Cog does not support sound?  Using "-vm sound=OSS"....
WAIT!!!
Success!!!

I managed to get a sound out of Cog by:

  1) copying so.vm-sound-pulse from my interpreter VM lib directory to
Cog's lib directory
  2) renaming so.vm-sound-pulse to vm-sound-pulse
  3) setting execute permissions on vm-sound-pulse

With that, I can actually get sound out of Squeak..

And, now, when I do squeak -help, "vm-sound-pulse" is now listed.

Eliot, do you think we could eventually include this driver in your
Cog releases?

I've no objection.  Any one want to volunteer to get this working for the Cog builds?

--
best,
Eliot

Re: How can I listen to my app?

David T. Lewis
On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 07:38:10PM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 02:47:55PM -0500, Chris Muller wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 2:42 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > I've decided I want to get a feel for what my app is doing and at what
> > > rate by, literally, listening to it.  I want to put in some brief
> > > beeps into strategic locations.
> > >
> > > But sound is an area where I have exactly zero experience.  I want the
> > > sounds to play but with minimal impact on the running program; i.e.,
> > > I'm willing to make the beeps very short, but even a 10ms beep (would
> > > I even be able to hear that?) would slow the program down.
> > >
> > > And yet, if I tried to play them in the background, they will not be
> > > in-sync with with the real-time state of the app.  I suppose another
> > > option would be to record the events I'm interested in and their time
> > > and play them back later, but I'm more interested in the *real-time*
> > > state.
> > >
> > > Finally, how can I play any sound at all with Squeak and Cog on Linux?
> > >  When I try some of the demo sounds on FMSound, there is no sound and
> > > I see this message in the console:
> > >
> > >     sound: /dev/dsp: No such file or directory
> > >
> > > Of course, no other apps on this machine have any trouble playing
> > > sounds, so is something simply pointing in the wrong place?
> >
> > squeak -help reports:
> >
> > Available drivers:
> >   vm-sound-null
> >   vm-sound-ALSA
> >   vm-sound-OSS
> >
> > But when I try:
> >
> >    squeak -vm sound=ALSA my.image
> >
> > and try to play a sound I get this on the console:
> >
> >    sound_Start(default)
> >    soundStart: snd_add_pcm_handler: Function not implemented
> >

> Sound works fine on my trusty SuSE box, but not at all on my user-friendly
> but generally untrustworthy Ubuntu laptop. What kind of system are you using?

My apologies to Ubuntu, it seems that I neglected to install the sound
development libraries on my Ubuntu laptop before compiling the VM. That
done, sound works fine with the -vm-sound-pulse driver on Ubuntu.

So now I can explore the sound projects in Edgar's FunSqueak. Those voices
in the DecTalk duet sound like Cartman from South Park, gotta love it :-)

> Sound systems have been changing on Linux distributions, and I suspect that
> we may be falling behind in our support for this.

The -vm-sound-ALSA driver fails on my Ubuntu with the "Function not implemented"
message that Chris reported, which suggests that we are in need of some work
to upgrade to the latest ALSA runtimes.

I'm using Ian's latest CMake build process. There may be some issues in the
Cog build, but I think these are related to the build process as opposed to
sound support in the VM itself.

Dave

re: How can I listen to my app?

Chris Muller-3
On Sat, Sep 13, 2014 at 4:55 AM, Craig Latta <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> I've decided I want to get a feel for what my app is doing and at what
>> rate by, literally, listening to it.  I want to put in some brief
>> beeps into strategic locations... I want the sounds to play but with
>> minimal impact on the running program...
>
>      Perhaps that means doing the equivalent of sending a remote
> message: to make a sound, send a special packet to a sound server
> running elsewhere with its own resources (e.g., another machine).

That's a good idea.  Sending the remote message might be able to be
done in a shorter time than playing the sound itself.  I assume you're
imagining a particular context for doing that which maybe lightweight
enough to do that (e.g., Flow?).  I'm very interested in that and also
your Spoon project..  To scratch my immediate itch I think I'll simply
make the sounds as short as possible, play them in real-time, and with
the ability to toggle them on/off.  My goal is to understand what is
the server doing at the very moment.

re: How can I listen to my app?

Bert Freudenberg

On 14.09.2014, at 20:57, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 13, 2014 at 4:55 AM, Craig Latta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I've decided I want to get a feel for what my app is doing and at what
>>> rate by, literally, listening to it.  I want to put in some brief
>>> beeps into strategic locations... I want the sounds to play but with
>>> minimal impact on the running program...
>>
>>     Perhaps that means doing the equivalent of sending a remote
>> message: to make a sound, send a special packet to a sound server
>> running elsewhere with its own resources (e.g., another machine).
>
> That's a good idea.  Sending the remote message might be able to be
> done in a shorter time than playing the sound itself.  I assume you're
> imagining a particular context for doing that which maybe lightweight
> enough to do that (e.g., Flow?).  I'm very interested in that and also
> your Spoon project..  To scratch my immediate itch I think I'll simply
> make the sounds as short as possible, play them in real-time, and with
> the ability to toggle them on/off.  My goal is to understand what is
> the server doing at the very moment.
But sounds are played in a background process anyway, so there should be (almost) no effect on runtime?

- Bert -

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: How can I listen to my app?

Stéphane Rollandin

> My apologies to Ubuntu, it seems that I neglected to install the sound
> development libraries on my Ubuntu laptop before compiling the VM. That
> done, sound works fine with the -vm-sound-pulse driver on Ubuntu.

Could you please make this binary available somewhere ?

Best,

Re: How can I listen to my app?

David T. Lewis
Hi Stéphane,

I am travelling, so I cannot post anything now. But I will send you a copy
of the missing vm-sound modules as soon as I can.

I prefer not to post a compiled VM, because I think this should come from
squeakvm.org/unix if possible. That said, I had not realized that we were
missing some sound modules from the last official build, so we should make
this available as a fix.

Are you able to compile programs on your own Linux box? It's really quite
easy to make an interpreter VM nowadays, and I would be happy show you how
to do this if you are willing to give it a try.

Dave

>> My apologies to Ubuntu, it seems that I neglected to install the sound
>> development libraries on my Ubuntu laptop before compiling the VM. That
>> done, sound works fine with the -vm-sound-pulse driver on Ubuntu.
>
> Could you please make this binary available somewhere ?
>
> Best,
>
> Stef

Re: How can I listen to my app?

David T. Lewis
Apologies for the confusion but to summarize what I found:

- The 32-bit standard interpreter VM for Linux on squeakvm.org has all of the
  usual vm-sound-* modules, and should work as expected.

    http://squeakvm.org/unix/release/Squeak-4.10.2.2614-linux_i386.tar.gz

- The 64-bit standard interpreter VM for Linux on squeakvm.org is missing some
  of the vm-sound-* modules. For this reason, if you downloaded an interpreter
  VM for your 64-bit Linux system, you may not have sound.

    http://squeakvm.org/unix/release/Squeak-4.10.2.2614-linux_x86_64.tar.gz

- If you have the 64-bit intepreter VM, you should be able to replace it
  with the 32-bit interpreter VM if you need sound. Or, if you prefer to
  keep the 64-bit VM, you may be able to add the attached vm-sound modules
  from a VM that I compiled on my PC. YMMV, absolutely no guarantees.

- For Cog, there may be a problem with the build procedure that is causing
  problems with the vm-sound-* modules. I do not yet know the reason,
  although you may be able to use the vm-sound-* modules from the 32-bit
  interpreter VM (I think there was a success report for this earlier in
  this thread).

HTH,

Dave

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 11:57:05AM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:

> Hi St?phane,
>
> I am travelling, so I cannot post anything now. But I will send you a copy
> of the missing vm-sound modules as soon as I can.
>
> I prefer not to post a compiled VM, because I think this should come from
> squeakvm.org/unix if possible. That said, I had not realized that we were
> missing some sound modules from the last official build, so we should make
> this available as a fix.
>
> Are you able to compile programs on your own Linux box? It's really quite
> easy to make an interpreter VM nowadays, and I would be happy show you how
> to do this if you are willing to give it a try.
>
> Dave
>

> >> My apologies to Ubuntu, it seems that I neglected to install the sound
> >> development libraries on my Ubuntu laptop before compiling the VM. That
> >> done, sound works fine with the -vm-sound-pulse driver on Ubuntu.
> >
> > Could you please make this binary available somewhere ?
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > Stef

4.13.15-2920-64bit-vm-sound-modules.zip (63K) Download Attachment

Re: How can I listen to my app?

Eliot Miranda-2

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 5:24 PM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

There is no "problem" with the pulse sound build on linux in Cog because... no one added it to the Cog tree.  It fell throguh the cacks when the Qwaq VM diverged.  Ian Piumarta added it in September 2009 at which time Cog was internal.

--
best,
Eliot

Re: [Vm-dev] Re: [squeak-dev] Re: How can I listen to my app?

Bert Freudenberg

On 16.09.2014, at 03:37, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

... and for more historical context: the pulse audio driver was written by Derek O'Connell for Etoys and Scratch on OLPC, made necessary by the maddening tendency of Linux audio interfaces changing every other year.