How can I outsource instance data ?

Photon
This post was updated on .
Hello,

I am messing around with an ordered collection of a class wich contains a
matrix. As it the size grew I started to wonder if my code was something one
should not do or if one would maybe outsource some data.
I don`t know if it`s in the RAM if I start the VM. In that case I
would overkill it at some point or not?

So I thought of storing the data on harddrive to be able to recall it later
when I need to but get it out of the running VM for the moment.
Maybe you can enlighten me regarding this.

In this picture you can see that my data is basicly stored inside of a
inspector at the moment. So it would be cool to store the whole thing on
harddrive.

<http://forum.world.st/file/t371759/inspector.png

Re: How can I outsource instance data ?

Nicolai Hess-3-2

Hello,

I am messing around with an ordered collection of a class wich contains a
matrix. As it the size grew I started to wonder if my code was something one
should not do or if one would maybe outsource some data.
I don`t know if it`s just in the RAM if iI start the VM. In that case i
would overkill it at some point or not?

So i thought of storing the data on harddrive to be able to recall it later
when I need to but get it out of the running VM for the moment.
Maybe you can enlighten me regarding this.

In this picture you can see that my data is basicly stored inside of a
inspector at the moment. So it would be cool to store the whole thing on
harddrive.

<http://forum.world.st/file/t371759/inspector.png>

I am not sure, but it looks like you are using Morphs for every Cell and every Cell in the generations collections.
These would be many (unnecessary) Morph objects.

Maybe it would be better to only store the cells (or cell states) and use only one grid of Morphs to show the current generation.

Re: How can I outsource instance data ?

Photon
Yes you are right. I thought the same. And im planning to implement a better
way. For example that each cell gets its own life tracker. Then I could ask
each cell idividually if it was alive at any point I want.

Furthermore i found out that there are such things as Gemstone or fuel wich
one could use to extract data.
So i will learn about those things aswell in the next time.

Thanks for your answer and the hint :)