How can we celebrate the 50th anniversary of Smalltalk?

How can we celebrate the 50th anniversary of Smalltalk?

horrido

Re: How can we celebrate the 50th anniversary of Smalltalk?

horrido
horrido wrote
> https://medium.com/@richardeng/how-can-we-celebrate-the-50th-anniversary-of-smalltalk-e6b35dbc09a9

Amazingly, no one has any suggestions! I'm afraid the 50th anniversary will
pass very quietly.

Re: How can we celebrate the 50th anniversary of Smalltalk?

hernanmd
Hi there,

Maybe people is thinking about a great celebration idea :)
Cheers,

Hernán

El dom., 5 ene. 2020 a las 1:07, horrido (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
horrido wrote
> https://medium.com/@richardeng/how-can-we-celebrate-the-50th-anniversary-of-smalltalk-e6b35dbc09a9

Amazingly, no one has any suggestions! I'm afraid the 50th anniversary will
pass very quietly.

Re: How can we celebrate the 50th anniversary of Smalltalk?

ponyatov
The best tribute to 50th anniversary will be the implementation of
distributed multi-user VM.

Re: How can we celebrate the 50th anniversary of Smalltalk?

jgfoster

> On Jan 5, 2020, at 7:39 AM, ponyatov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The best tribute to 50th anniversary will be the implementation of
> distributed multi-user VM.

How would that be different from GemStone?

Re: How can we celebrate the 50th anniversary of Smalltalk?

tbrunz
Did Smalltalk start with Smalltalk-72 or Smalltalk-80?  (Or 1969, when work
on it began..??)

ST-72 was an internal release; ST-80 was its first public release, in 1980.

I've always thought that 1980 was the birthday, so this year it turns 40...
Am I wrong?

What's the consensus?  Is it customary to go by the project start date, the
first stable version, the first release to the public, or what?

Re: How can we celebrate the 50th anniversary of Smalltalk?

vince
Even better, to somehow port Pharo to the BEAM, like Ruby/Elixir.

Re: How can we celebrate the 50th anniversary of Smalltalk?

jtuchel
That's also what my first thought was: .Isn't 2020 the 40th BIrthday of
Smalltalk? Not sure anyone who wasn't there at Xerox can judge this. I
guess the ignition for many of the concepts our favourite environment
are built upon dat eback into the 60ies...

I personally celebrate Smalltalk every (working) day. I enjoy the fun
and productivity each time I find a way to solve a problem at hand.

Joachim

Am 05.01.2020 um 19:27 schrieb tbrunz:

> Did Smalltalk start with Smalltalk-72 or Smalltalk-80?  (Or 1969, when work
> on it began..??)
>
> ST-72 was an internal release; ST-80 was its first public release, in 1980.
>
> I've always thought that 1980 was the birthday, so this year it turns 40...
> Am I wrong?
>
> What's the consensus?  Is it customary to go by the project start date, the
> first stable version, the first release to the public, or what?

Re: How can we celebrate the 50th anniversary of Smalltalk?

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 6 Jan 2020, at 06:11, Joachim Tuchel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I personally celebrate Smalltalk every (working) day. I enjoy the fun and productivity each time I find a way to solve a problem at hand.

Well said.

Re: How can we celebrate the 50th anniversary of Smalltalk?

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2

On 6/01/20 3:18 a. m., Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

>> On 6 Jan 2020, at 06:11, Joachim Tuchel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I personally celebrate Smalltalk every (working) day. I enjoy the fun and productivity each time I find a way to solve a problem at hand.
> Well said.

+1

Is my case too. Is a joyful celebratory experience that happens on a
common base.

I think that an "official" celebration date helps to get awareness, like
the Open Data Day [1] or the FLISoL[2], the biggest/oldest free/libre
software install fest in the world with 20+ countries in sync the same
day that we started ~15 years ago (but it lack of visibility, being done
mostly in the Global South :-/). Anyway, having a similar celebratory
event could help in this happy awareness for outsiders and insiders.
Something like the Smalltalk Fest, where no matter where you live, or
your variant of Smalltalk, we can celebrate together and raise the
awareness on the happy experience that we have day to day.

[1] https://opendataday.org/
[2] https://flisol.info/

Cheers,

Offray