How can you make a graphic in Etoys transparent?

How can you make a graphic in Etoys transparent?

Steve Thomas
How can you specify the alpha for a sketch?  I was using the Fractionator as described in this post and it would be nice to be able to set the sketch's transparency.  I can add an extra transparent playfield (which shows the gridlines even when alpha=0, which is nice) but the ability to set a sketch's alpha would be useful.

Stephen

Re: How can you make a graphic in Etoys transparent?

K K Subbu
On Wednesday 03 Aug 2011 8:22:26 AM Steve Thomas wrote:
> it would be nice to be able to set the sketch's transparency.  I can add an
> extra transparent playfield (which shows the gridlines even when alpha=0,
> which is nice) but the ability to set a sketch's alpha would be useful.
AFAIK, SketchMorph is a special kind of Morph that can rotate an arbitrary
Form efficiently before displaying it. It is not capable of varying the alpha
(translucency) of this form.

You could add a feature request or discuss it in squeak-dev mailing list.

Subbu

On Wednesday 03 Aug 2011 9:39:03 PM K. K. Subramaniam wrote:

> On Wednesday 03 Aug 2011 8:22:26 AM Steve Thomas wrote:
> > it would be nice to be able to set the sketch's transparency.  I can add
> > an extra transparent playfield (which shows the gridlines even when
> > alpha=0, which is nice) but the ability to set a sketch's alpha would be
> > useful.
>
> AFAIK, SketchMorph is a special kind of Morph that can rotate an arbitrary
> Form efficiently before displaying it. It is not capable of varying the
> alpha (translucency) of this form.
>
> You could add a feature request or discuss it in squeak-dev mailing list.
Oops! I just saw your feature request.

Meanwhile, you could use a trick to simulate fade-in/fade-out for locked down
sketches. Place the sketch in between two rectangle siblings. Vary the alpha
of the top rectangle to affect the translucency of the sketch.

HTH .. Subbu

Re: How can you make a graphic in Etoys transparent?

Karl Ramberg
Translucency is not very well integrated into Etoys/Squeak.
You can import images with translucency but it's hard to make translucent images in Etoys.

This is another area that needs more work :-)

Karl