How do I actually start seaside using Workspace for Installing external projects?

How do I actually start seaside using Workspace for Installing external projects?

Matthias Berth-2
Hi,

It's great to see the welcome workspaces in the most recent pharo 1.0rc2!

I have executed the loading of ConfigurationOfSeaside28, and now I
want to see my little seaside app. I have followed the seaside book
(made a subclass of WAComponent, registered it). Now I tried to go to
http://localhost:8080/ but I get nothing. Looks like seaside is not
started...

What can I do?

What should we write in the welcome workspace to fix this problem for beginners?

What do I have to do to get a change in the text into the next release?

Cheers

Matthias

Re: How do I actually start seaside using Workspace for Installing external projects?

laurent laffont
On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 7:58 PM, Matthias Berth <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

It's great to see the welcome workspaces in the most recent pharo 1.0rc2!

I have executed the loading of ConfigurationOfSeaside28, and now I
want to see my little seaside app. I have followed the seaside book
(made a subclass of WAComponent, registered it). Now I tried to go to
http://localhost:8080/ but I get nothing. Looks like seaside is not
started...

What can I do?

You have to start a web server. You can type:
WAKom startOn: 8080.

You may be interested in watching some of these screencasts: http://pharocasts.blogspot.com/search/label/web

What should we write in the welcome workspace to fix this problem for beginners?

What do I have to do to get a change in the text into the next release?

I think that for beginners, the easiest way to get Seaside running is to pick a ready made image here http://seaside.st/download/pharo

Cheers

Laurent

Cheers

Matthias

Re: How do I actually start seaside using Workspace for Installing external projects?

Lukas Renggli
>> I have executed the loading of ConfigurationOfSeaside28, and now I
>> want to see my little seaside app. I have followed the seaside book
>> (made a subclass of WAComponent, registered it). Now I tried to go to
>> http://localhost:8080/ but I get nothing. Looks like seaside is not
>> started...
>>
>> What can I do?
>
> You have to start a web server. You can type:
> WAKom startOn: 8080.

This is described also here:

http://book.seaside.st/book/getting-started/pharo-squeak/comanche

Note that the book is about Seaside 3.0, not 2.8 which is in some
parts a bit different.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: How do I actually start seaside using Workspace for Installing external projects?

Matthias Berth-2
OK, fixed:

Name: ImageForDevelopers-pharo-MatthiasBerth.219
Author: MatthiasBerth
Time: 1 February 2010, 9:07:56 pm
UUID: 547802fb-dd6b-4555-b3c7-d3219fce3624
Ancestors: ImageForDevelopers-pharo-MarianoMartinezPeck.218

Added hints in openExternalProjectWorkspace on how to start the web server.

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 8:46 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I have executed the loading of ConfigurationOfSeaside28, and now I
>>> want to see my little seaside app. I have followed the seaside book
>>> (made a subclass of WAComponent, registered it). Now I tried to go to
>>> http://localhost:8080/ but I get nothing. Looks like seaside is not
>>> started...
>>>
>>> What can I do?
>>
>> You have to start a web server. You can type:
>> WAKom startOn: 8080.
>
> This is described also here:
>
> http://book.seaside.st/book/getting-started/pharo-squeak/comanche
>
> Note that the book is about Seaside 3.0, not 2.8 which is in some
> parts a bit different.
>
> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: How do I actually start seaside using Workspace for Installing external projects?

Dale
I think that this would be the perfect spot for a ProfStef tutorial ... handful of steps to configure/launch Seaside 2.8 ...

The tutorial could be part of ConfigurationOfSeaside28 and when loaded would launch the tutorial ... it would not be part of the Core group, but would be available in the Tutorial group...

Just some thoughts ...

Dale
----- "Matthias Berth" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| Hi,
|

| It's great to see the welcome workspaces in the most recent pharo
| 1.0rc2!
|
| I have executed the loading of ConfigurationOfSeaside28, and now I
| want to see my little seaside app. I have followed the seaside book
| (made a subclass of WAComponent, registered it). Now I tried to go to
| http://localhost:8080/ but I get nothing. Looks like seaside is not
| started...
|
| What can I do?
|
| What should we write in the welcome workspace to fix this problem for
| beginners?
|
| What do I have to do to get a change in the text into the next
| release?
|
| Cheers
|
| Matthias

Re: How do I actually start seaside using Workspace for Installing external projects?

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 7:58 PM, Matthias Berth <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

It's great to see the welcome workspaces in the most recent pharo 1.0rc2!

I have executed the loading of ConfigurationOfSeaside28, and now I
want to see my little seaside app. I have followed the seaside book
(made a subclass of WAComponent, registered it). Now I tried to go to
http://localhost:8080/ but I get nothing. Looks like seaside is not
started...

What can I do?

What should we write in the welcome workspace to fix this problem for beginners?

I am not sure.  Because then, I also would need to explain how to start Moose, or Aida, or Magma, or whatever. That's where you have a link to the website of the project just in case you need more information.

What others think ?

It would be cool if each project can have its own welcome workspace.

What do I have to do to get a change in the text into the next release?

I will take care.

Cheers

Matthias