How do I create a minimal memory?

Trygve
Hi,
I have just entered this list because I want to find out how I can use Spoon for my next BabyUML experiment.

README:
    Double-click the "spoon.bat" file. This will start the Spoon processor, which starts a local web server.
OK

 In the "naiad" folder are components for remote browsing and inspecting of the Spoon memory from a Squeak 3.9 system (they probably work with earlier systems as well). To use them, first start the Spoon system as described above.
OK
Then start the "naiad" application with the object memory of your choice.
Squeak3.9/naiad OK

Then, file in "naiad.st", and load the "naiad.pr" project.
OK. Poject with violet playfield (nice :-) ) and a workspace.
"Hi; here are a few expressions to get you started with remote browsing."

    "Make sure you've filed in 'naiad.st' first."
    Smalltalk
        at: #ExampleWormholeServer
        put: (WormholeServer atPort: 9999).
Looks OK

        "Make sure you've started the minimal memory first."
        ExampleWormholeServer connectToPort: 7777 atHostNamed: 'localhost'.

Fails. Executing the expression hangs with Wormhole>>peer being nil.

The Spoon image is open in a window, but that window is empty and I cannot find any menus or command lines.

Perhaps I should start the minimal memory first, but how??
I'm not good at reading instructions, so I may have missed something.
Any pointer will be welcome.

Thanks
--Trygve

This is exciting!
--Trygve
--

Trygve Reenskaug      mailto: [hidden email]
Morgedalsvn. 5A       http://folk.uio.no/trygver

re: How do I create a minimal memory?

ccrraaiigg

Hi Trygve--

> > "Make sure you've started the minimal memory first."
> > ExampleWormholeServer connectToPort: 7777 atHostNamed: 'localhost'.
>
> Fails. Executing the expression hangs with Wormhole>>peer being nil.

     That should have worked; you were doing everything right up to that
point. You had indeed started the minimal memory (that's the one with a
blank display).

     I'll try to duplicate the error.

     thanks,

-C

--
Craig Latta
improvisational musical informaticist

Re: How do I create a minimal memory?

Trygve
Craig,
I see from recent mail that new users of SPOON are needed. I tried to become one at the end of May, but failed to get a working system. The msg quoted below from June 1 was the last I heard. It would be interesting to learn if I did a mistake or if you managed to reproduce my problem.

The recent mail from Norbert Hartl seems to indicate that it still is a research project just to get started. I still believe SPOON can be a very useful foundation for my work, but I do not have the capacity to become a SPOON co-developer. So I have better continue the alternative activities I started in June and return to SPOON later.

Cheers
--Trygve

On 01.06.2007 00:35, Craig Latta wrote:
Hi Trygve--

"Make sure you've started the minimal memory first."
ExampleWormholeServer connectToPort: 7777 atHostNamed: 'localhost'.

Fails. Executing the expression hangs with Wormhole>>peer being nil.

     That should have worked; you were doing everything right up to that
point. You had indeed started the minimal memory (that's the one with a
blank display).

     I'll try to duplicate the error.

     thanks,

-C

--

Trygve Reenskaug      mailto: [hidden email]
Morgedalsvn. 5A       http://folk.uio.no/trygver
N-0378 Oslo           Tel: (+47) 22 49 57 27
Norway

Re: How do I create a minimal memory?

NorbertHartl
On Fri, 2007-07-06 at 11:06 +0200, Trygve Reenskaug wrote:

> Craig,
> I see from recent mail that new users of SPOON are needed. I tried to
> become one at the end of May, but failed to get a working system. The
> msg quoted below from June 1 was the last I heard. It would be
> interesting to learn if I did a mistake or if you managed to reproduce
> my problem.
>
> The recent mail from Norbert Hartl seems to indicate that it still is
> a research project just to get started. I still believe SPOON can be a
> very useful foundation for my work, but I do not have the capacity to
> become a SPOON co-developer. So I have better continue the alternative
> activities I started in June and return to SPOON later.

Same for me. I'm really interested in using spoon. But as long as I'm
not capable of starting the most basic image and load a module and
do something with it I can't solve the problems on my own.

I can assist to develop a way of starting the image for linux
platforms. That was the reason I traced some stuff and wrote
together what I've done. Btw. the things I wrote should be the
same for BSD and so also for Mac OS.

Norbert

re: How do I create a minimal memory?

ccrraaiigg

Hi Trygve, Norbert, and all--

     Trygve writes:

> I see from recent mail that new users of SPOON are needed. I tried to
> become one at the end of May, but failed to get a working system. The
> msg quoted below from June 1 was the last I heard.

     I offer my apologies. I have been busy pursuing paid work (which I
still seek).

> It would be interesting to learn if I did a mistake or if you managed
> to reproduce my problem.

     Yes, I have been able to reproduce your problem, but have not yet
fixed it. It seems to be something platform-dependent. Again, I offer my
apologies.

> The recent mail from Norbert Hartl seems to indicate that it still is
> a research project just to get started.

     Well, the system is marked as alpha software. I'd hoped that would
be a sufficient cue, but I'm willing to say more by way of warning too.

> I still believe SPOON can be a very useful foundation for my work, but
> I do not have the capacity to become a SPOON co-developer. So I have
> better continue the alternative activities I started in June and
> return to SPOON later.

     I understand. Thanks very much for your help with it so far!

     Norbert writes:

> Same for me. I'm really interested in using spoon. But as long as I'm
> not capable of starting the most basic image and load a module and do
> something with it I can't solve the problems on my own.

     I'm working on it now. I also appreciate the feedback you've given,
too.

     thanks again!

-C