How do I find out which version of Pier is installed

How do I find out which version of Pier is installed

hhs@lexdb.net
Dear all

Currently I work with the one-click installation 1.0.17 of http://www.piercms.com/.

Before I had the latest version of Pier installed into Squeak 3.10.2 through the package "Universe".
I installed the package "Pier version current".
However it seemed that it was not the most recent version.

However it did not include the class PRDistribution which is in the one-click installation 1.0.17.

How can I find out which (maybe minor version) I have got?

Something like
   PRKernel version
in the sense of
   Smalltalk version

I did not yet find such a version information.

Regards

Hannes Hirzel

Re: How do I find out which version of Pier is installed

Lukas Renggli
>  Before I had the latest version of Pier installed into Squeak 3.10.2
> through the package "Universe".
>  I installed the package "Pier version current".
>  However it seemed that it was not the most recent version.

Universes wasn't updated for quite some time, because of a problem in
the Universe update script. Sorry for that.

>  However it did not include the class PRDistribution which is in the
> one-click installation 1.0.17.

PRDistribution is part of the one-click installation.

In the Universe Browser you should see the version number you installed.

>  How can I find out which (maybe minor version) I have got?
>
>  Something like
>     PRKernel version
>  in the sense of
>     Smalltalk version

That's hard to do like this, because it has to be maintained in the source code.

Normally it should be save to go use the Monticello Browser to update
to the latest versions of Magritte and Pier. I regularly do that with
all my deployed images.

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: How do I find out which version of Pier is installed

hhs@lexdb.net
Dear Lukas

Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> hat am 8. Oktober 2008 um 16:38 geschrieben:

> >  How can I find out which (maybe minor version) I have got?
> >
> >  Something like
> >     PRKernel version
> >  in the sense of
> >     Smalltalk version
>
> That's hard to do like this, because it has to be maintained in the source code.

I assume that there is some "main" package with a prominent class which could hold this version string. Of course this has to be updated before releasing that package but this would be part of the process of releasing. As it is now I cannot easily find out what I have got and what not.

> Normally it should be save to go use the Monticello Browser to update
> to the latest versions of Magritte and Pier. I regularly do that with
> all my deployed images.

How do I do that?

I assume I have to add the repositories

http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/magritte
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch/smalltalk/pier

In a Monticello Browser: Click on "+Repository" and choose "http" repository and then add the string
MCHttpRepository
    location: 'http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/magritte'
    user: ''
    password: ''

I get a couple of packages. Is there a particular load order to use? Or do I just need to load Pier-All (currently I have Pier-All-lr.309.mcz)

However as I checked it out it seems that looking at the Monticello Browser I have got everything in the Squeak 3.10.2 image package wise. However the PRDistribution class is not in the image.

Kind regards

Hannes Hirzel

Re: How do I find out which version of Pier is installed

hhs@lexdb.net
Hello

In a Squeak 3.10.2 image I just opened the "Universe" browser and could now load Pier 1.0.17.311 and the Pier-Setup package 1.0.17.30.

In fact in the Universe browser it is displayed which version I have installed and the Universe seems to be up to date. So the question raised in this thread is answered.

Thank you, Lukas, Tudor and Damien for making this possible.

Hannes Hirzel