How do I get UIPainter to work on Pharo 3.0?

How do I get UIPainter to work on Pharo 3.0?

Buddha Buck
I am trying to learn Spec (which seems to be a moving target), and I don't know how all the various widgets and tools are supposed to work.

Given that there is a Spec-based UIPainter project as part of this years Google Summer of Code (recently completed), I thought it would be a good idea to check that out.  At the very least, I could poke around at the generated code and get a handle on how it works.

Trying to load UIPainter (as per the instructions on http://uipainter-gsoc.over-blog.com/how-to-install-it) into Pharo 2.0 yielded errors about UIPainter being dependent on certain Spec classes which weren't available in Spec on Pharo 2.0.

The instructions do say Pharo 3.0, so I downloaded the latest image (as of a few days ago), and tried again.  The same errors came up.

A search of the changelogs makes me thing that Pharo 30448 is the change that likely broke this, as it's titled "Remove Morphic Dependency from Spec" and removes a lot of Spec-Widget stuff.  This change was also made after the "how to install" page was written.

So how should I proceed?  Should I grab image 30447 and work form that?  Should I wait for Spec to stabilize and get documented?

I'm a newbie to Smalltalk and to Pharo, so I don't know the customs yet.

Re: How do I get UIPainter to work on Pharo 3.0?

philippeback
Moving target indeed.

You may want to look for senders of openAsSpec for looking at examples.

Phil

--
---
Philippe Back

High Octane SPRL
rue cour Boisacq 101 | 1301 Bierges | Belgium

Pharo Consortium Member - http://consortium.pharo.org/
Featured on the Software Process and Measurement Cast - http://spamcast.libsyn.com
Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect and Ability Engineering EADocX Value Added Reseller

Re: How do I get UIPainter to work on Pharo 3.0?

Pay attention
- we are sorry and yes spec evolves over time. It is getting stabilized
- the UiPainter is an experiment
- pay attention that Spec got a new pass on it in Pharo3.0alpha
- if you are ready for a bit of edge cutting version, use the latest version and ask questions.

On Oct 22, 2013, at 12:29 AM, Buddha Buck <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Welcome
We are sorry that the system is not better but we are working steadily on it.

Stef