How do I get the halos?

Hannes Hirzel
Hello again Juan,

On 8/28/12, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  you
> can get a halo on the Styled Text Editor window,

The halos on SystemWindows and components are not enabeled by default
which is good.
(I tried ctrl-click, alt-click, left-click, right-click on Windows 7).

With the 'World menu' / 'Help' / 'Preferences' I can set certain
preferences. I could not find how to switch on halos.

--Hannes

Note:
I was looking for the preferences in the 'Appearance' menu first,
later I found it in the 'Help' menu. I am used to find read-only
information in a help menu only not actually dialog where I configure
the system.

Appendix:
The preferences

 #allowBlockArgumentAssignment
 #allowUnderscoreAssignments
 #allowUnderscoreSelectors
 #alternativeBrowseIt
 #annotationPanes
 #automaticPlatformSettings
 #balloonHelpEnabled
 #biggerCursors
 #browserShowsPackagePane
 #browseWithPrettyPrint
 #canRecordWhilePlaying
 #caseSensitiveFinds
 #changeSetVersionNumbers
 #checkForSlips
 #classicNewMorphMenu
 #cmdDotEnabled #restartAlsoProceeds
 #collapseWindowsInPlace
 #conversionMethodsAtFileOut
 #cpuWatcherEnabled
 #debugHaloHandle
 #debugShowDamage
 #decorateBrowserButtons
 #diffsInChangeList
 #diffsWithPrettyPrint
 #dismissAllOnOptionClose
 #extraDebuggerButtons
 #fastDragWindowForMorphic
 #fullScreenLeavesDeskMargins
 #haloEnclosesFullBounds
 #higherPerformance
 #logDebuggerStackToFile
 #menuIcons
 #menuKeyboardControl
 #menuWithIcons
 #modalColorPickers
 #optionalButtons
 #personalizedWorldMenu
 #reverseWindowStagger
 #selectionsMayShrink
 #selectiveHalos
 #showBoundsInHalo
 #showDeprecationWarnings
 #showLinesInHierarchyViews
 #simpleMenus
 #smartUpdating
 #soundQuickStart
 #soundsEnabled
 #soundStopWhenDone
 #subPixelRenderFonts
 #syntaxHighlightingAsYouType
 #syntaxHighlightingAsYouTypeAnsiAssignment
 #syntaxHighlightingAsYouTypeLeftArrowAssignment
 #systemWindowEmbedOK
 #thoroughSenders
 #twentyFourHourFileStamps
 #warnIfNoChangesFile
 #warnIfNoSourcesFile
 #wordStyleCursorMovement

Re: How do I get the halos?

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Hannes,

H. Hirzel wrote:

> Hello again Juan,
>
> On 8/28/12, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>  you
>> can get a halo on the Styled Text Editor window,
>>

> The halos on SystemWindows and components are not enabeled by default
> which is good.
> (I tried ctrl-click, alt-click, left-click, right-click on Windows 7).
>
> With the 'World menu' / 'Help' / 'Preferences' I can set certain
> preferences. I could not find how to switch on halos.

You can set preferences by sending #enable: or #disable: to Preferences.
But there's no need here. Halos are enabled, via mouse button 3 (mouse
wheel on most mice). Only on the Mac, the VM emulates button 3 by
command-click, and button 2 by option-click. This is because many mac
mice came with just 1 button.

> --Hannes
>

> Note:
> I was looking for the preferences in the 'Appearance' menu first,
> later I found it in the 'Help' menu. I am used to find read-only
> information in a help menu only not actually dialog where I configure
> the system.

Mhhh. Never thought about this. This behavior (having actions in the
help menu) is quite old (in Squeak)... But you're right. 'Appareance'
menu should in fact be 'Preferences', and include all system settings,
both visual and non-visual. Will do it right now. Thanks for the suggestion!

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

> Appendix:
> The preferences
>
>  #allowBlockArgumentAssignment
>  #allowUnderscoreAssignments
>  #allowUnderscoreSelectors
>  #alternativeBrowseIt
>  #annotationPanes
>  #automaticPlatformSettings
>  #balloonHelpEnabled
>  #biggerCursors
>  #browserShowsPackagePane
>  #browseWithPrettyPrint
>  #canRecordWhilePlaying
>  #caseSensitiveFinds
>  #changeSetVersionNumbers
>  #checkForSlips
>  #classicNewMorphMenu
>  #cmdDotEnabled #restartAlsoProceeds
>  #collapseWindowsInPlace
>  #conversionMethodsAtFileOut
>  #cpuWatcherEnabled
>  #debugHaloHandle
>  #debugShowDamage
>  #decorateBrowserButtons
>  #diffsInChangeList
>  #diffsWithPrettyPrint
>  #dismissAllOnOptionClose
>  #extraDebuggerButtons
>  #fastDragWindowForMorphic
>  #fullScreenLeavesDeskMargins
>  #haloEnclosesFullBounds
>  #higherPerformance
>  #logDebuggerStackToFile
>  #menuIcons
>  #menuKeyboardControl
>  #menuWithIcons
>  #modalColorPickers
>  #optionalButtons
>  #personalizedWorldMenu
>  #reverseWindowStagger
>  #selectionsMayShrink
>  #selectiveHalos
>  #showBoundsInHalo
>  #showDeprecationWarnings
>  #showLinesInHierarchyViews
>  #simpleMenus
>  #smartUpdating
>  #soundQuickStart
>  #soundsEnabled
>  #soundStopWhenDone
>  #subPixelRenderFonts
>  #syntaxHighlightingAsYouType
>  #syntaxHighlightingAsYouTypeAnsiAssignment
>  #syntaxHighlightingAsYouTypeLeftArrowAssignment
>  #systemWindowEmbedOK
>  #thoroughSenders
>  #twentyFourHourFileStamps
>  #warnIfNoChangesFile
>  #warnIfNoSourcesFile
>  #wordStyleCursorMovement

Re: How do I get the halos?

Hannes Hirzel
On 8/28/12, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Hannes,
>
> H. Hirzel wrote:
>> Hello again Juan,
>>
>> On 8/28/12, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>>  you
>>> can get a halo on the Styled Text Editor window,
>>>

>> The halos on SystemWindows and components are not enabeled by default
>> which is good.
>> (I tried ctrl-click, alt-click, left-click, right-click on Windows 7).
>>
>> With the 'World menu' / 'Help' / 'Preferences' I can set certain
>> preferences. I could not find how to switch on halos.
>>

> You can set preferences by sending #enable: or #disable: to Preferences.
> But there's no need here. Halos are enabled, via mouse button 3 (mouse
> wheel on most mice).

Thank you.
I changed my mouse to a mouse with three buttons (the middle button
being a wheel as well). Now everything works fine. A worthwhile
investment!

--Hannes