How do I get the selection in a Glamour tree?

How do I get the selection in a Glamour tree?

Simon Denier-3
I'm trying to set some actions on items in a glamour tree presentation, say:

  actions: [:tree | tree selection xMenuItems ]

But #selection called on the widget returns nil. Is this the expected behaviour?

I managed to get what I wanted after diving in the object:

  actions: [:tree | tree selectionPath last xMenuItems ]

--
 Simon

Re: How do I get the selection in a Glamour tree?

Tudor Girba
I cannot reproduce this problem :).

Are you sure that you selected the item before hand?

In any case, take a look at the code examples from MooseBrowsers. For example:

MooseBrowsers>>navigationBrowserOn: scopeSelector
  actions: [ :tree | tree selection mooseInterestingEntity mooseFinderActions ]

Cheers,
Doru

On 27 mai 2010, at 13:01, Tudor Girba wrote:

I cannot reproduce this problem :).

Are you sure that you selected the item before hand?

Pretty sure yes, because the browser behavior relies on such a selection otherwise.

But I can't find a simple example to reproduce the case.

If you are really motivated, I can explain how to reproduce in my current example.

In any case, take a look at the code examples from MooseBrowsers. For example:

MooseBrowsers>>navigationBrowserOn: scopeSelector
  actions: [ :tree | tree selection mooseInterestingEntity mooseFinderActions ]

Cheers,
Doru

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 11:35 AM, Simon Denier <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm trying to set some actions on items in a glamour tree presentation, say:

 actions: [:tree | tree selection xMenuItems ]

But #selection called on the widget returns nil. Is this the expected behaviour?

I managed to get what I wanted after diving in the object:

 actions: [:tree | tree selectionPath last xMenuItems ]

--
 Simon

 Simon

Re: How do I get the selection in a Glamour tree?

Tudor Girba
Yes, I am interested. I never encountered this case. "tree selection"
gets the result from the #selection port.

Please describe the scenario.

Cheers,
Doru

On 27 May 2010, at 18:19, Simon Denier wrote:

> On 27 mai 2010, at 13:01, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> I cannot reproduce this problem :).
>>
>> Are you sure that you selected the item before hand?
>
> Pretty sure yes, because the browser behavior relies on such a
> selection otherwise.
>
> But I can't find a simple example to reproduce the case.
>
> If you are really motivated, I can explain how to reproduce in my
> current example.
>

>> In any case, take a look at the code examples from MooseBrowsers.
>> For example:
>>
>> MooseBrowsers>>navigationBrowserOn: scopeSelector
>>   actions: [ :tree | tree selection mooseInterestingEntity
>> mooseFinderActions ]
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 11:35 AM, Simon Denier
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'm trying to set some actions on items in a glamour tree
>> presentation, say:
>>
>>  actions: [:tree | tree selection xMenuItems ]
>>
>> But #selection called on the widget returns nil. Is this the
>> expected behaviour?
>>
>> I managed to get what I wanted after diving in the object:
>>
>>  actions: [:tree | tree selectionPath last xMenuItems ]
>>

>> --
>>  Simon

>  Simon

www.tudorgirba.com

"Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot
be done."

On 27 mai 2010, at 20:04, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Yes, I am interested. I never encountered this case. "tree selection" gets the result from the #selection port.
>
> Please describe the scenario.

ok,

1) register the Moqam project from squeaksource

MCHttpRepository
    location: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/moqam'
    user: ''
    password: ''

2) load the latest of Moqam-All
Moqam-All-simondenier.44.mcz

3) open a MoosePanel, right-click on a moosemodel, and launch a 'Moqam mark browser bis' from the moqam category
It opens a new browser

4) right click on any item in the tree, you should have two actions
- 'inspect item' to launch an inspector on the current selection, but open an inspector on nil
- 'inspect tree' to launch an inspector on the instance of GLMTreePresentation

> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 27 May 2010, at 18:19, Simon Denier wrote:
>

>> On 27 mai 2010, at 13:01, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>
>>> I cannot reproduce this problem :).
>>>
>>> Are you sure that you selected the item before hand?
>>
>> Pretty sure yes, because the browser behavior relies on such a selection otherwise.
>>
>> But I can't find a simple example to reproduce the case.
>>
>> If you are really motivated, I can explain how to reproduce in my current example.
>>

>>> In any case, take a look at the code examples from MooseBrowsers. For example:
>>>
>>> MooseBrowsers>>navigationBrowserOn: scopeSelector
>>>  actions: [ :tree | tree selection mooseInterestingEntity mooseFinderActions ]
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru
>>>

>>> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 11:35 AM, Simon Denier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I'm trying to set some actions on items in a glamour tree presentation, say:
>>>
>>> actions: [:tree | tree selection xMenuItems ]
>>>
>>> But #selection called on the widget returns nil. Is this the expected behaviour?
>>>
>>> I managed to get what I wanted after diving in the object:
>>>
>>> actions: [:tree | tree selectionPath last xMenuItems ]
>>>

>>> --
>>> Simon

>> --
>> Simon

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be done."

 Simon

Re: How do I get the selection in a Glamour tree?

Tudor Girba
Ahh, the problem is that you also specify the #send: clause, which is
a post transformation that affects the value of the #selection port.
Given that sometimes this value is nil, you get nil :).

Cheers,
Doru

On 27 May 2010, at 22:17, Simon Denier wrote:

> On 27 mai 2010, at 20:04, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Yes, I am interested. I never encountered this case. "tree
>> selection" gets the result from the #selection port.
>>
>> Please describe the scenario.
>

> ok,
>
> 1) register the Moqam project from squeaksource
>
> MCHttpRepository
>    location: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/moqam'
>    user: ''
>    password: ''
>
> 2) load the latest of Moqam-All
> Moqam-All-simondenier.44.mcz
>
> 3) open a MoosePanel, right-click on a moosemodel, and launch a
> 'Moqam mark browser bis' from the moqam category
> It opens a new browser
>
> 4) right click on any item in the tree, you should have two actions
> - 'inspect item' to launch an inspector on the current selection,
> but open an inspector on nil
> - 'inspect tree' to launch an inspector on the instance of
> GLMTreePresentation
>

>> Cheers,
>> Doru

>>> Pretty sure yes, because the browser behavior relies on such a
>>> selection otherwise.
>>>
>>> But I can't find a simple example to reproduce the case.
>>>
>>> If you are really motivated, I can explain how to reproduce in my
>>> current example.

>>> --
>>> Simon

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it
>> cannot be done."

> Simon

www.tudorgirba.com

"Reasonable is what we are accustomed with."

On 27 mai 2010, at 22:39, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Ahh, the problem is that you also specify the #send: clause, which is a post transformation that affects the value of the #selection port. Given that sometimes this value is nil, you get nil :).

Funnily, it's also what issue http://code.google.com/p/moose-technology/issues/detail?id=390 is about. I don't know how I came to this conclusion in the first place.

Anyway, thanks