How do I get the user directory?

Torsten Bergmann
Damien Pollet wrote:
>Besides I have no idea what an untrusted user directory is. Perhaps a
>Windowsish concept ?

Read the class comment of SecurityPlugin in the following changeset
and you will be find answers: [1]

Looks like "My Squeak" is hard coded, see sqUnixSecurity.c [2] for Unix.

Have fun
Torsten

[1] http://ftp.squeak.org/updates/3527VMSecurity-ar.cs
[2] http://tracker.squeakland.org/secure/attachment/13397/sqUnixSecurity.c

Re: How do I get the user directory?

vicnet
Hello,
Torsten Bergmann wrote
Damien Pollet wrote:
>Besides I have no idea what an untrusted user directory is. Perhaps a
>Windowsish concept ?
Read the class comment of SecurityPlugin in the following changeset
and you will be find answers: [1]
I don't understand why:
[Windows]  untrusted user directory: "C:\My Squeak\username\"
[Unix] untrusted user directory: "~username/squeak/"
are untrusted, especialy for unix. On windows, it's uggly to have a dir just in "C:" ! It should be "My Documents/username"...

I don't understant also why home dir in Pharo is not:
[Windows] "My documents" ("Mes Documents" in french) that is generaly in "C:\Documents and Settings\username"
[Unix]"~username" that is generaly in "/home/username"

a+
Vicnet

Re: How do I get the user directory?

Damien Pollet
On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 14:36, Vicnet<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't understand why:
> [Windows]  untrusted user directory: "C:\My Squeak\username\"
> [Unix] untrusted user directory: "~username/squeak/"
> are untrusted, especialy for unix. On windows, it's uggly to have a dir just
> in "C:" ! It should be "My Documents/username"...

So apparently this (un)trusted distinction is because that's code
specific to the web browser plugin, ie. it only makes sense in the
context of sandboxing potentially hostile code.

I just want to locate an user's homedir, from a normal VM / Image
running trusted code. More precisely I'd like to be able to understand
file names like ~/meh or ~foo/blah.

--
Damien Pollet