How do I install seaside in Pharo 1.0?

sebovick
Hello,

I have problem installing Seaside on Pharo 1.0. Evaluate
ConfigurationOfSeaside >> workspace
did not work.
I have also tryed this code:
Gofer new
   squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
   package: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside';
   load.
((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside ) project latestVersion) load
it did not work to.

Why does the code
DEVImageWorkspaces openExternalProjectWorkspace
did not show an easy way to install Seaside (it was the case before)?

Cordialy

Re: How do I install seaside in Pharo 1.0?

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 2:24 PM, magique poter <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I have problem installing Seaside on Pharo 1.0. Evaluate
ConfigurationOfSeaside >> workspace
did not work.

Hi!

In the Smalltalk world, when you see aClass >> aMmethod
it means that you are talking about the method aMethod from the class aClass.

If you refer to class side methods:

aClass class >> aMethod

So, in this case, it means you should see the method workspace of the class ConfigurationInSeaside, NOT to evaluate the code.

Actually, what you CAN evaluate is something like this:

AClass >> #aMethodName

example

ConfigurationOfSeaside >> #workspace

if you evaluate this, it answer the compiled method of the selector #workspace.

I have also tryed this code:
Gofer new
  squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
  package: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside';
  load.
((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside ) project latestVersion) load
it did not work to.

Try:

Gofer new
  squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
  package: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside30';
  load.
((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside30 ) project latestVersion) load

Why does the code
DEVImageWorkspaces openExternalProjectWorkspace
did not show an easy way to install Seaside (it was the case before)?

What is before and what is now?

Thanks!

Mariano

Cordialy

Re: How do I install seaside in Pharo 1.0?

sebovick
>> I have problem installing Seaside on Pharo 1.0. Evaluate
>> ConfigurationOfSeaside >> workspace
>> did not work.
>
> Hi!
Hello! Thanks for your response,

> In the Smalltalk world, when you see aClass >> aMmethod
> it means that you are talking about the method aMethod from the class
> aClass.
>
> Actually, what you CAN evaluate is something like this:
>
> AClass >> #aMethodName
>
> example
>
> ConfigurationOfSeaside >> #workspace

There is no ConfigurationOfSeaside class in the Pharo 1.0 image. How
can this work?

>> I have also tryed this code:
>> Gofer new
>>   squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
>>   package: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside';
>>   load.
>> ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside ) project latestVersion) load
>> it did not work to.
>>

> Try:
>
> Gofer new
>   squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
>   package: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside30';
>   load.
> ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside30 ) project latestVersion) load
Ok it works!

>> Why does the code
>> DEVImageWorkspaces openExternalProjectWorkspace
>> did not show an easy way to install Seaside (it was the case before)?
>>

> What is before and what is now?

Before (in the late Pharo release), there was a code to evaluate like
other external packages magma, aida, moose... like this:

"Gofer new
   squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
   package: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside30';
   load.
((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside30 ) project latestVersion) load"

For both seaside2.8 and seaside 3.0. I have found this simple steps to
install external packages very handy for starting programming in
smaltalk, without have to deeply understand the Metacello packages
system (I should start to understand it...).

Thanks for your help!

Sebovick

On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 6:43 PM, magique poter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I have problem installing Seaside on Pharo 1.0. Evaluate
>> ConfigurationOfSeaside >> workspace
>> did not work.
>
> Hi!
Hello! Thanks for your response,

No problem.

> In the Smalltalk world, when you see aClass >> aMmethod
> it means that you are talking about the method aMethod from the class
> aClass.
>
> Actually, what you CAN evaluate is something like this:
>
> AClass >> #aMethodName
>
> example
>
> ConfigurationOfSeaside >> #workspace

There is no ConfigurationOfSeaside class in the Pharo 1.0 image. How
can this work?

No, it cannot work, as you suspected. That's why you should download first the ConfigurationOfSeaside class.

>> I have also tryed this code:
>> Gofer new
>>   squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
>>   package: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside';
>>   load.
>> ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside ) project latestVersion) load
>> it did not work to.
>>

> Try:
>
> Gofer new
>   squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
>   package: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside30';
>   load.

With this, you download the package ConfigurationOfSeaside30 from the squeaksource project ConfigurationOfSeaside30

This is exactly the same as opening the Monticello Browser, add the package http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository
Then select the package ConfigurationOfSeaside30 and press the "load" button.

> ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside30 ) project latestVersion) load
Ok it works!

>> Why does the code
>> DEVImageWorkspaces openExternalProjectWorkspace
>> did not show an easy way to install Seaside (it was the case before)?
>>

> What is before and what is now?

Before (in the late Pharo release), there was a code to evaluate like
other external packages magma, aida, moose... like this:

"Gofer new
  squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
  package: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside30';
  load.
((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside30 ) project latestVersion) load"

For both seaside2.8 and seaside 3.0. I have found this simple steps to
install external packages very handy for starting programming in
smaltalk, without have to deeply understand the Metacello packages
system (I should start to understand it...).

Ok...you are right. There were other people that had the same problem and I changed it for Pharo 1.1.
Can you please download such image and tell us if is better and give us changes/feedback ?

Here is the link:

https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/27025/Pharo-1.1-11367-Betadev10.05.1.zip

Cheers

Mariano