How do the Configuration Browser configurations get 'trusted'?

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How do the Configuration Browser configurations get 'trusted'?

Andy Burnett
I just stumbled across the configuration browser - it makes life so much easier! Well done.

What piqued my curiosity is the tabs 'configurations' and 'untrusted'. Having a set of trusted configurations is a great idea. But, what is the process for trusting things? I am curious, because although I don't have any packages to contribute yet, I hope that will change soon.

Cheers
Andy
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: How do the Configuration Browser configurations get 'trusted'?

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Andy,

The ultimate idea is that there would be a process to validate packages, hopefully an automated one, based on unit tests, lint rules, …
Right now, that is not the case.
But I do agree that it makes a lot of sense to be able to load something with one click.
What is missing is more meta data describing the package itself I guess.

Sven

--
Sven Van Caekenberghe
http://stfx.eu
Smalltalk is the Red Pill

On 14 Sep 2012, at 19:53, Andy Burnett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just stumbled across the configuration browser - it makes life so much easier! Well done.
>
> What piqued my curiosity is the tabs 'configurations' and 'untrusted'. Having a set of trusted configurations is a great idea. But, what is the process for trusting things? I am curious, because although I don't have any packages to contribute yet, I hope that will change soon.
>
> Cheers
> Andy

Reply | Threaded
|

Andy Burnett
In reply to this post by Andy Burnett

On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 6:03 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Subject: Re: [Pharo-users] How do the Configuration Browser
        configurations  get 'trusted'?
Message-ID: <[hidden email]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=windows-1252

Andy,

The ultimate idea is that there would be a process to validate packages, hopefully an automated one, based on unit tests, lint rules, ?
Right now, that is not the case.
But I do agree that it makes a lot of sense to be able to load something with one click.
What is missing is more meta data describing the package itself I guess.

Sven

Hi Sven,
Thanks for the info. An automated approach sounds good. I also wonder whether it would be useful to have something like an 'I use this' button, which would allow community feedback on a package. This goes back to some of the ideas that Brad Cox had about software foundries, and getting a quality rating.

Cheers
Andy 

Reply | Threaded
|

Stéphane Ducasse
> Sven
>
> Hi Sven,
> Thanks for the info. An automated approach sounds good. I also wonder whether it would be useful to have something like an 'I use this' button, which would allow community feedback on a package. This goes back to some of the ideas that Brad Cox had about software foundries, and getting a quality rating.
>
> Cheers
> Andy
>

Would be a bonus.
For now I would like to have an automatic verification system at the configuration level.

Stef

Reply | Threaded
|

Mariano Martinez Peck
I think nobody answers the original question... a Configuration is
"trusted", for the moment,  when it is found in the repo associated to
that pharo version (for example
'http://www.squeaksource.com/MetaRepoForPharo14') instead than in
another generic repo (for example
'http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository').

Cheers

On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 8:42 AM, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Sven
>>
>> Hi Sven,
>> Thanks for the info. An automated approach sounds good. I also wonder whether it would be useful to have something like an 'I use this' button, which would allow community feedback on a package. This goes back to some of the ideas that Brad Cox had about software foundries, and getting a quality rating.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Andy
>>
>
> Would be a bonus.
> For now I would like to have an automatic verification system at the configuration level.
>
> Stef
>
>

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com