How do we get a string with a specific encodings

How do we get a string with a specific encodings

stephane ducasse
Hi guys

I would like to know how I can specify the encodings of my strings.

Re: How do we get a string with a specific encodings

John Thornborrow
Could you be a bit more specific, please? Do you mean encodings within
your smalltalk environment, or do you mean specify the encoding type for
the final html page (such as the type received from textInput callbacks)?

John.

www.pinesoft.co.uk

stephane ducasse wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> I would like to know how I can specify the encodings of my strings.
>
> Stef

Pinesoft Computers are registered in England, Registered number: 2914825. Registered office: 266-268 High Street, Waltham Cross, Herts, EN8 7EA

Re: How do we get a string with a specific encodings

stephane ducasse
Hi john

first I would like to know how I can get a string in latin1 or utf my
image?

Stef

On 2 août 07, at 12:44, John Thornborrow wrote:

> Could you be a bit more specific, please? Do you mean encodings
> within your smalltalk environment, or do you mean specify the
> encoding type for the final html page (such as the type received
> from textInput callbacks)?
>
> John.
>
> www.pinesoft.co.uk
>
> stephane ducasse wrote:
>> Hi guys
>> I would like to know how I can specify the encodings of my strings.
>> Stef
>

> Pinesoft Computers are registered in England, Registered number:
> 2914825. Registered office: 266-268 High Street, Waltham Cross,
> Herts, EN8 7EA
>

> This message has been scanned for viruses by BlackSpider
> MailControl - www.blackspider.com

Re: How do we get a string with a specific encodings

NorbertHartl
On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 13:09 +0200, stephane ducasse wrote:
> Hi john
>
> first I would like to know how I can get a string in latin1 or utf my
> image?

That depends on the image version and WAKom variant you are using.
If you use a squeak 3.9 image and the WAKomEncoded39 server than
everything is converted to utf-8 before it is being transfered
to the client.

Norbert

Re: How do we get a string with a specific encodings

Philippe Marschall
2007/8/2, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]>:

> On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 13:09 +0200, stephane ducasse wrote:
> > Hi john
> >
> > first I would like to know how I can get a string in latin1 or utf my
> > image?
>
> That depends on the image version and WAKom variant you are using.
> If you use a squeak 3.9 image and the WAKomEncoded39 server than
> everything is converted to utf-8 before it is being transfered
> to the client.

It also depends where you get the content from. A from field? A file
upload? A file on disk?
Really more information would help.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: How do we get a string with a specific encodings

stephane ducasse
>> That depends on the image version and WAKom variant you are using.
>> If you use a squeak 3.9 image and the WAKomEncoded39 server than
>> everything is converted to utf-8 before it is being transfered
>> to the client.
>
> It also depends where you get the content from. A from field? A file
> upload? A file on disk?
> Really more information would help.

In fact it comes from two sources.
        - one on a file (that normally I read with a converter to be sure)
        - from input fields.

Now I was also wondering how I can simply specify a string with an
encoding in Squeak
in the image since I have no clue about that.

Stef

2007/8/2, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> >> That depends on the image version and WAKom variant you are using.
> >> If you use a squeak 3.9 image and the WAKomEncoded39 server than
> >> everything is converted to utf-8 before it is being transfered
> >> to the client.
> >
> > It also depends where you get the content from. A from field? A file
> > upload? A file on disk?
> > Really more information would help.
>
> In fact it comes from two sources.
>         - one on a file (that normally I read with a converter to be sure)

What encoding does the file have?

>         - from input fields.

Are you running an encoded server adapter or WAKom?

Cheers
Philippe

> Now I was also wondering how I can simply specify a string with an
> encoding in Squeak
> in the image since I have no clue about that.
>
> Stef
> >
> > Cheers
> > Philippe

Re: How do we get a string with a specific encodings

stephane ducasse

>>> It also depends where you get the content from. A from field? A file
>>> upload? A file on disk?
>>> Really more information would help.
>>
>> In fact it comes from two sources.
>>         - one on a file (that normally I read with a converter to
>> be sure)
>
> What encoding does the file have?

utf8 but I could change that.
It seems that latin1 would be better.

>>         - from input fields.
>
> Are you running an encoded server adapter or WAKom?

Just WAKom but I should move to use the WAKomEncoded39 version

>> Now I was also wondering how I can simply specify a string with an
>> encoding in Squeak
>> in the image since I have no clue about that.

do you know the anwser that the last question?

On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 15:49 +0200, stephane ducasse wrote:

> >> In fact it comes from two sources.
> >>         - one on a file (that normally I read with a converter to
> >> be sure)
> >
> > What encoding does the file have?
>
> utf8 but I could change that.
> It seems that latin1 would be better.
>
> >>         - from input fields.
> >
> > Are you running an encoded server adapter or WAKom?
>
> Just WAKom but I should move to use the WAKomEncoded39 version
>
> >> Now I was also wondering how I can simply specify a string with an
> >> encoding in Squeak
> >> in the image since I have no clue about that.
>
> do you know the anwser that the last question?

You better not. I know, Phillippe will disagree :) My opinion
is that you should convert every string you get from outside
the image to the internal format squeak uses. That is a controlled
setting and you are able to use size and other methods on those
strings without worry. The get your file to the web with the
correct encoding you read in the file convert it from utf-8 to
the internal squeak encoding. Then you should use WAKomEncoded39
that will do the conversion to utf-8 when the string is about
to leave the image. From input fields it is nearly the same except
the fact that WAKomEncoded39 doesn't do conversion for fields if
the request is multipart (that means mostly you uploaded something
like image along with the text fields). If you have trouble with this
you can ask me and I can provide you with a fix. Or your searching
the archives with subjects:

- [Seaside] 3.9 and encoding in multipart fields

Norbert

Re: How do we get a string with a specific encodings

Philippe Marschall

> > > What encoding does the file have?
> >
> > utf8 but I could change that.
> > It seems that latin1 would be better.

> > > Are you running an encoded server adapter or WAKom?
> >
> > Just WAKom but I should move to use the WAKomEncoded39 version

> > do you know the anwser that the last question?
>
> You better not. I know, Phillippe will disagree :)

Sorry, I didn't get the question. Could you please rephrase and be
very exact about:
- where your strings come from
- what encoding these strings have
- what encoding these strings should have in the end

Just "I have an encoding problem" is not really helpful at all
especially if asking for answers before supplying any information.

> My opinion
> is that you should convert every string you get from outside
> the image to the internal format squeak uses. That is a controlled
> setting and you are able to use size and other methods on those
> strings without worry.

Unfortunately even if you have WideStrings you can not rely on that
all the methods for Strings work since some are broken for
WideStrings. Additionally you won't be able to inspect your non-latin
Squeak WideStrings because they have no language tag and there is no
way of adding one.

> The get your file to the web with the
> correct encoding you read in the file convert it from utf-8 to
> the internal squeak encoding. Then you should use WAKomEncoded39
> that will do the conversion to utf-8 when the string is about
> to leave the image.

That is of course only true if you get your Strings into the image via
Seaside and not via FileStream. And of course WAKomEncoded39 does not
work in Squeak 3.9 if you have the special version of Kom distributed
with the SeasideInstaller.

> From input fields it is nearly the same except
> the fact that WAKomEncoded39 doesn't do conversion for fields if
> the request is multipart (that means mostly you uploaded something
> like image along with the text fields).

This is fixed in 2.8. The only place where WAKomEncoded39 does not
conversion is for fileuploads because we have no way of telling what
encoding the file has or if it's even a text file.

Cheers
Philippe

> If you have trouble with this
> you can ask me and I can provide you with a fix. Or your searching
> the archives with subjects:
>
> - [Seaside] 3.9 and encoding in multipart fields
>
> Norbert

Re: How do we get a string with a specific encodings

stephane ducasse

> Sorry, I didn't get the question. Could you please rephrase and be
> very exact about:
> - where your strings come from

either from a file with an encoding (utf8 but could be latin1)

> - what encoding these strings have
utf-8

> - what encoding these strings should have in the end

I do not know.
Now when the user type text in input fields I would like to have the
same encoding.

Then I was also curious about the use in the image of encoded strings
(ie how to create them, convert....)

> Just "I have an encoding problem" is not really helpful at all
> especially if asking for answers before supplying any information.

sorry

>> My opinion
>> is that you should convert every string you get from outside
>> the image to the internal format squeak uses. That is a controlled
>> setting and you are able to use size and other methods on those
>> strings without worry.
>
> Unfortunately even if you have WideStrings you can not rely on that
> all the methods for Strings work since some are broken for
> WideStrings.

How can I see that?
It would be good to report (if this is not already done)

> Additionally you won't be able to inspect your non-latin
> Squeak WideStrings because they have no language tag and there is no
> way of adding one.

ahhh.
What do you mean is that we cannot inspect utf-8 wideStrings ?

>> The get your file to the web with the
>> correct encoding you read in the file convert it from utf-8 to
>> the internal squeak encoding. Then you should use WAKomEncoded39
>> that will do the conversion to utf-8 when the string is about
>> to leave the image.
>
> That is of course only true if you get your Strings into the image via
> Seaside and not via FileStream. And of course WAKomEncoded39 does not
> work in Squeak 3.9 if you have the special version of Kom distributed
> with the SeasideInstaller.

arghhhh :)

>> From input fields it is nearly the same except
>> the fact that WAKomEncoded39 doesn't do conversion for fields if
>> the request is multipart (that means mostly you uploaded something
>> like image along with the text fields).
>
> This is fixed in 2.8. The only place where WAKomEncoded39 does not
> conversion is for fileuploads because we have no way of telling what
> encoding the file has or if it's even a text file.

ok
so I should wait and use 2.8.

Re: How do we get a string with a specific encodings

Philippe Marschall
2007/8/2, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> > Sorry, I didn't get the question. Could you please rephrase and be
> > very exact about:
> > - where your strings come from
>
> either from a file with an encoding (utf8 but could be latin1)
>
> > - what encoding these strings have
> utf-8
>
> > - what encoding these strings should have in the end
>
> I do not know.

You need to make a decision wheter you want utf8 or widestrings/"new
squeak encoding" in your image.
utf8 strings -> WAKom
WideString -> WAKomEncoded39

Make sure you convert the strings you read from disk to the machting
encoding. You can convert a string to widestring/"new squeak encoding"
by sending #convertFromEncoding: and can convert a widestring/"new
squeak encoding" to something else by sending #convertToEncoding:

WideStrings have a history of slow performance and bugs (there are
still known, open bugs). There is no way of telling which methods and
primitives don't work. For utf-8 strings you can rely on pretty much
everything but concatenation being broken (including #size). As for
inspector support both of them don't shine. Your choice.

> Now when the user type text in input fields I would like to have the
> same encoding.
>
> Then I was also curious about the use in the image of encoded strings
> (ie how to create them, convert....)
>

> > Just "I have an encoding problem" is not really helpful at all
> > especially if asking for answers before supplying any information.
>
> sorry
>

> >> My opinion
> >> is that you should convert every string you get from outside
> >> the image to the internal format squeak uses. That is a controlled
> >> setting and you are able to use size and other methods on those
> >> strings without worry.
> >
> > Unfortunately even if you have WideStrings you can not rely on that
> > all the methods for Strings work since some are broken for
> > WideStrings.
>
> How can I see that?

Stuff like #match: throwing an exception if the argument is a WideString.

> It would be good to report (if this is not already done)

Done.

> > Additionally you won't be able to inspect your non-latin
> > Squeak WideStrings because they have no language tag and there is no
> > way of adding one.
>
> ahhh.
> What do you mean is that we cannot inspect utf-8 wideStrings ?

There is no such thing as utf-8 wideStrings. There are either utf-8
strings or widestrings. You can inspect both, but neither will display
correctly for non-latin characters if created from Seaside.

> >> The get your file to the web with the
> >> correct encoding you read in the file convert it from utf-8 to
> >> the internal squeak encoding. Then you should use WAKomEncoded39
> >> that will do the conversion to utf-8 when the string is about
> >> to leave the image.
> >
> > That is of course only true if you get your Strings into the image via
> > Seaside and not via FileStream. And of course WAKomEncoded39 does not
> > work in Squeak 3.9 if you have the special version of Kom distributed
> > with the SeasideInstaller.
>
> arghhhh :)

Well it would be much simpler if Kom was maintained. It's not that
we're asking for much. Just integrating changes to three methods.
There are some people working on an updated Kom release and we are
looking forward to it.

> >> From input fields it is nearly the same except
> >> the fact that WAKomEncoded39 doesn't do conversion for fields if
> >> the request is multipart (that means mostly you uploaded something
> >> like image along with the text fields).
> >
> > This is fixed in 2.8. The only place where WAKomEncoded39 does not
> > conversion is for fileuploads because we have no way of telling what
> > encoding the file has or if it's even a text file.
>
> ok
> so I should wait and use 2.8.

Only if you have multipart fields and use WAKomEncoded39

Cheers
Philippe

Re: How do we get a string with a specific encodings

stephane ducasse
Thanks I will digest that.
Sounds like a mess in squeak.

> [...]
>>> work in Squeak 3.9 if you have the special version of Kom
>>> distributed
>>> with the SeasideInstaller.
>>
>> arghhhh :)
>
> Well it would be much simpler if Kom was maintained. It's not that
> we're asking for much. Just integrating changes to three methods.
> There are some people working on an updated Kom release and we are
> looking forward to it.

>>> This is fixed in 2.8. The only place where WAKomEncoded39 does not
>>> conversion is for fileuploads because we have no way of telling what
>>> encoding the file has or if it's even a text file.
>>
>> ok
>> so I should wait and use 2.8.
>
> Only if you have multipart fields and use WAKomEncoded39
>
> Cheers
> Philippe

Re: How do we get a string with a specific encodings

Damien Pollet
On 03/08/2007, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks I will digest that.
> Sounds like a mess in squeak.

What a surprise ;-)

I think I have a similar problem in Citezen. Reading/parsing and utf8
file, writing stuff from it out to an utf8 page with seaside 2.8, and
I still get funky characters instead of accents. I tried guessing what
the actual output encoding is but no success. Normal characters seem
to be ascii/latin1, accented characters use two bytes but are not
correct utf8...

> > You need to make a decision wheter you want utf8 or widestrings/"new
> > squeak encoding" in your image.
> > utf8 strings -> WAKom
> > WideString -> WAKomEncoded39
> >
> > Make sure you convert the strings you read from disk to the machting
> > encoding. You can convert a string to widestring/"new squeak encoding"
> > by sending #convertFromEncoding: and can convert a widestring/"new
> > squeak encoding" to something else by sending #convertToEncoding:
> >
> > WideStrings have a history of slow performance and bugs (there are
> > still known, open bugs). There is no way of telling which methods and
> > primitives don't work. For utf-8 strings you can rely on pretty much
> > everything but concatenation being broken (including #size). As for
> > inspector support both of them don't shine. Your choice.
> >
> >> Now when the user type text in input fields I would like to have the
> >> same encoding.
> >>
> >> Then I was also curious about the use in the image of encoded strings
> >> (ie how to create them, convert....)

> >> sorry

> >> How can I see that?
> >
> > Stuff like #match: throwing an exception if the argument is a
> > WideString.
> >
> >> It would be good to report (if this is not already done)
> >
> > Done.

> >> ahhh.
> >> What do you mean is that we cannot inspect utf-8 wideStrings ?
> >
> > There is no such thing as utf-8 wideStrings. There are either utf-8
> > strings or widestrings. You can inspect both, but neither will display
> > correctly for non-latin characters if created from Seaside.

> >> arghhhh :)
> >
> > Well it would be much simpler if Kom was maintained. It's not that
> > we're asking for much. Just integrating changes to three methods.
> > There are some people working on an updated Kom release and we are
> > looking forward to it.

> >> ok
> >> so I should wait and use 2.8.
> >
> > Only if you have multipart fields and use WAKomEncoded39
> >
> > Cheers
> > Philippe

Damien Pollet
type less, do more [ | ] http://typo.cdlm.fasmz.org

Seaside web site - expiring problem

cbeler
Hi,

When a page expire, and if a link is cliked then I get a Kom error page
saying:

  Error: "/seaside/seaside" not found.

As, it's mainly pages, is it possible to access the right page (the
clicked one) even if the session has expired ?

Thanks

Cédrick

Re: Seaside web site - expiring problem

Philippe Marschall
2007/9/12, Cédrick Béler <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> When a page expire, and if a link is cliked then I get a Kom error page
> saying:
>

>   Error: "/seaside/seaside" not found.
>

> As, it's mainly pages, is it possible to access the right page (the
> clicked one) even if the session has expired ?
Yeah, that should be the default behavior. What version of Seaside are
you using?

Cheers
Philippe

2007/9/12, Damien Pollet <[hidden email]>:
> On 03/08/2007, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Thanks I will digest that.
> > Sounds like a mess in squeak.
>
> What a surprise ;-)
>
> I think I have a similar problem in Citezen. Reading/parsing and utf8
> file,

You you use WAKom or WAKomEncoded*. Do you set the converter for the
file stream? Do you use the Kom from SqueakMap or the one from the
SeasideInstaller?

Cheers
Philippe

On 12/09/2007, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I think I have a similar problem in Citezen. Reading/parsing and utf8
> > file,
>
> You you use WAKom or WAKomEncoded*. Do you set the converter for the
> file stream? Do you use the Kom from SqueakMap or the one from the
> SeasideInstaller?

Oops, sorry for not seeing your answer earlier...

I use WAKom, don't do anything particular to the file stream (just
using FileDirectory>>readOnlyFileNamed:) and I'm using Kom from
package universe (which in turn gets
http://squeak.krampe.se/KomHttpServer-gk.14.mcz)

2007/9/24, Damien Pollet <[hidden email]>:

> On 12/09/2007, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > I think I have a similar problem in Citezen. Reading/parsing and utf8
> > > file,
> >
> > You you use WAKom or WAKomEncoded*. Do you set the converter for the
> > file stream? Do you use the Kom from SqueakMap or the one from the
> > SeasideInstaller?
>
> Oops, sorry for not seeing your answer earlier...
>
> I use WAKom, don't do anything particular to the file stream (just
> using FileDirectory>>readOnlyFileNamed:) and I'm using Kom from
> package universe (which in turn gets
> http://squeak.krampe.se/KomHttpServer-gk.14.mcz)

That's a broken combination on Squeak 3.9.

Cheers
Philippe