How do you use Redline in a Maven project?

How do you use Redline in a Maven project?

Les Hazlewood
Hi all,

How would you use Redline Smalltalk in a Maven project?  I'm not quite sure how this works:

as the example project referenced in the Readme isn't available on GitHub anymore (HTTP 404).

Whether or not it works like the following or not I'm unaware, but this would be my expectation:

1.  Add the redline-maven-plugin to the <build> section in my pom.xml
2.  Create a src/main/smalltalk directory
3.  Add code under that directory.

But how would this code be executed?

Additionally, how does one actually _use_ said code in a software application?  How do you structure your app to start leveraging Smalltalk classes?

Thanks for any pointers!

Les

Re: How do you use Redline in a Maven project?

James Ladd
Hi Les,

A good question.
I will be writing a blog entry / doco on this over my weekend which begins now.
You should have a working example by Monday :)

- James.

On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 9:18 AM, Les Hazlewood <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

How would you use Redline Smalltalk in a Maven project?  I'm not quite sure how this works:

as the example project referenced in the Readme isn't available on GitHub anymore (HTTP 404).

Whether or not it works like the following or not I'm unaware, but this would be my expectation:

1.  Add the redline-maven-plugin to the <build> section in my pom.xml
2.  Create a src/main/smalltalk directory
3.  Add code under that directory.

But how would this code be executed?

Additionally, how does one actually _use_ said code in a software application?  How do you structure your app to start leveraging Smalltalk classes?

Thanks for any pointers!

Les

RE: How do you use Redline in a Maven project?

Robert Roland-2
Hi Les,

I'm the original author of the Maven plugin. It needs some updates, but I'll reply tomorrow with more details on how to use it. It's been a super-busy week at my day job.

Thanks,

Rob

Les

Re: How do you use Redline in a Maven project?

Les Hazlewood
Thanks for the reply James and Rob - I definitely look forward to
learning how to do this.

I think once the Redline community can show (with examples):

1) How to use it in a Maven project (and to a lesser extent, Ant or Gradle)
2) How to use it with current software stacks/projects like Spring,
JEE CDI and/or Guice

then adoption will follow naturally.  I for one am really anxious to
learn how to do this and get started!

I look forward to it, and thanks for the hard work so far - I
definitely know how hard it is to support an open source community
when also holding existing work responsibilities.

Cheers,

Les

On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 3:52 PM, Robert Roland <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Les,
>
> I'm the original author of the Maven plugin. It needs some updates, but I'll
> reply tomorrow with more details on how to use it. It's been a super-busy
> week at my day job.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rob
>
> ________________________________

Very understanding of you Les.
I'll certainly get a simple example out a.s.a.p
I'm completing a few things in the Java Adaptor and then a more involved demo will follow using something like Spring etc
- James

Sent from Hyperspace.

On 02/12/2012, at 2:55 PM, Les Hazlewood <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply James and Rob - I definitely look forward to
> learning how to do this.
>
> I think once the Redline community can show (with examples):
>
> 1) How to use it in a Maven project (and to a lesser extent, Ant or Gradle)
> 2) How to use it with current software stacks/projects like Spring,
> JEE CDI and/or Guice
>
> then adoption will follow naturally.  I for one am really anxious to
> learn how to do this and get started!
>
> I look forward to it, and thanks for the hard work so far - I
> definitely know how hard it is to support an open source community
> when also holding existing work responsibilities.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Les
>
> On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 3:52 PM, Robert Roland <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Les,
>>
>> I'm the original author of the Maven plugin. It needs some updates, but I'll
>> reply tomorrow with more details on how to use it. It's been a super-busy
>> week at my day job.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Rob
>>
>> ________________________________

Friendly little bump here - any updates on this?

Best,

Les

On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 10:18 PM, James Ladd <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Very understanding of you Les.
> I'll certainly get a simple example out a.s.a.p
> I'm completing a few things in the Java Adaptor and then a more involved demo will follow using something like Spring etc
> - James
>
> Sent from Hyperspace.
>
> On 02/12/2012, at 2:55 PM, Les Hazlewood <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the reply James and Rob - I definitely look forward to
>> learning how to do this.
>>
>> I think once the Redline community can show (with examples):
>>
>> 1) How to use it in a Maven project (and to a lesser extent, Ant or Gradle)
>> 2) How to use it with current software stacks/projects like Spring,
>> JEE CDI and/or Guice
>>
>> then adoption will follow naturally.  I for one am really anxious to
>> learn how to do this and get started!
>>
>> I look forward to it, and thanks for the hard work so far - I
>> definitely know how hard it is to support an open source community
>> when also holding existing work responsibilities.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Les
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 3:52 PM, Robert Roland <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Les,
>>>
>>> I'm the original author of the Maven plugin. It needs some updates, but I'll
>>> reply tomorrow with more details on how to use it. It's been a super-busy
>>> week at my day job.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Rob
>>>
>>> ________________________________
>>> From: [hidden email]
>>> [[hidden email]] on behalf of James Ladd
>>> [[hidden email]]
>>> Sent: Friday, November 30, 2012 12:45 PM
>>> To: [hidden email]
>>> Subject: Re: How do you use Redline in a Maven project?
>>>
>>> Hi Les,
>>>
>>> A good question.
>>> I will be writing a blog entry / doco on this over my weekend which begins
>>> now.
>>> You should have a working example by Monday :)
>>>
>>> - James.

Re: How do you use Redline in a Maven project?

James Ladd
Try to get it together right now in fact.

On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 1:49 PM, Les Hazlewood <[hidden email]> wrote:
Friendly little bump here - any updates on this?

Best,

Les

On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 10:18 PM, James Ladd <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Very understanding of you Les.
> I'll certainly get a simple example out a.s.a.p
> I'm completing a few things in the Java Adaptor and then a more involved demo will follow using something like Spring etc
> - James
>
> Sent from Hyperspace.
>
> On 02/12/2012, at 2:55 PM, Les Hazlewood <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the reply James and Rob - I definitely look forward to
>> learning how to do this.
>>
>> I think once the Redline community can show (with examples):
>>
>> 1) How to use it in a Maven project (and to a lesser extent, Ant or Gradle)
>> 2) How to use it with current software stacks/projects like Spring,
>> JEE CDI and/or Guice
>>
>> then adoption will follow naturally.  I for one am really anxious to
>> learn how to do this and get started!
>>
>> I look forward to it, and thanks for the hard work so far - I
>> definitely know how hard it is to support an open source community
>> when also holding existing work responsibilities.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Les
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 3:52 PM, Robert Roland <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Les,
>>>
>>> I'm the original author of the Maven plugin. It needs some updates, but I'll
>>> reply tomorrow with more details on how to use it. It's been a super-busy
>>> week at my day job.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Rob
>>>
>>> ________________________________
>>> From: [hidden email]
>>> [[hidden email]] on behalf of James Ladd
>>> [[hidden email]]
>>> Sent: Friday, November 30, 2012 12:45 PM
>>> To: [hidden email]
>>> Subject: Re: How do you use Redline in a Maven project?
>>>
>>> Hi Les,
>>>
>>> A good question.
>>> I will be writing a blog entry / doco on this over my weekend which begins
>>> now.
>>> You should have a working example by Monday :)
>>>
>>> - James.

Re: How do you use Redline in a Maven project?

James Ladd
Les,

Attached is a maven project with dependencies on Redline and placeholder
tests in both Java and Smalltalk. It is essentially the Maven archetype generated
project but with Redline additions.

Currently when you do a 'mvn clean integration-test' there is a class not found
error on the TestSuite. I'm looking into this.

- James.

On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 1:56 PM, James Ladd <[hidden email]> wrote:
Try to get it together right now in fact.

On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 1:49 PM, Les Hazlewood <[hidden email]> wrote:
Friendly little bump here - any updates on this?

Best,

Les

On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 10:18 PM, James Ladd <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Very understanding of you Les.
> I'll certainly get a simple example out a.s.a.p
> I'm completing a few things in the Java Adaptor and then a more involved demo will follow using something like Spring etc
> - James
>
> Sent from Hyperspace.
>
> On 02/12/2012, at 2:55 PM, Les Hazlewood <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the reply James and Rob - I definitely look forward to
>> learning how to do this.
>>
>> I think once the Redline community can show (with examples):
>>
>> 1) How to use it in a Maven project (and to a lesser extent, Ant or Gradle)
>> 2) How to use it with current software stacks/projects like Spring,
>> JEE CDI and/or Guice
>>
>> then adoption will follow naturally.  I for one am really anxious to
>> learn how to do this and get started!
>>
>> I look forward to it, and thanks for the hard work so far - I
>> definitely know how hard it is to support an open source community
>> when also holding existing work responsibilities.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Les
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 3:52 PM, Robert Roland <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Les,
>>>
>>> I'm the original author of the Maven plugin. It needs some updates, but I'll
>>> reply tomorrow with more details on how to use it. It's been a super-busy
>>> week at my day job.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Rob
>>>
>>> ________________________________
>>> From: [hidden email]

start-w-redline.zip (8K) Download Attachment

Re: How do you use Redline in a Maven project?

Les Hazlewood
This is awesome James - I'm gonna tinker with it this weekend for sure.

Thanks for the reply!

Cheers,

Les

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 7:11 PM, James Ladd <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Les,
>
> Attached is a maven project with dependencies on Redline and placeholder
> tests in both Java and Smalltalk. It is essentially the Maven archetype
> generated
> project but with Redline additions.
>
> Currently when you do a 'mvn clean integration-test' there is a class not
> found
> error on the TestSuite. I'm looking into this.
>
> - James.
>

> On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 1:56 PM, James Ladd <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Try to get it together right now in fact.
>>

>> On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 1:49 PM, Les Hazlewood <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Friendly little bump here - any updates on this?
>>>
>>> Best,

Ok, right now the each class needs to import other classes it relies on.
This is inconvenient and I'll make a change to remove this, it just wont
be there before you 'tinker'

This means that TestRunner.st that you have needs to:

import: 'com.mydomain.TestSuite'.

at the top etc.

Classes in the same package should not need to be imported. This is the change
i will be making.