How does one migrate configuration maps to a new version of VA Smalltalk?

How does one migrate configuration maps to a new version of VA Smalltalk?

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Everybody,

I hope we are all having a nice summer or I guess winter if you are below the equator.

How does one migrate configuration maps to a new version of VA Smalltalk?  By migrate I mean copy/export/import what ever.  Thanks.

Lou

Re: How does one migrate configuration maps to a new version of VA Smalltalk?

Thomas Koschate-2
On Wednesday, August 22, 2012 9:50:16 AM UTC-4, Louis LaBrunda wrote:

How does one migrate configuration maps to a new version of VA Smalltalk?  By migrate I mean copy/export/import what ever.  Thanks.

 You've got a number of options here.  Personally, I tend to prefer to bring the maps for the new version of VA into my current repository.  This allows me to use one repository for both VA versions, allowing a much easier migration process.  Use the VA Importer tool for that:

http://www.instantiations.com/docs/851/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=mi/migtl010.html

If you want to do it map by map, bring up a config map browser and right click on the map you are interested in.  Look for the "Export" option if you're running your old version of VA on the old repository, or the "Import" option if you're already using the new version and are connected to the new repository.

However, I still maintain that bringing the new source into your existing repository is the best way to go...

Tom

Re: How does one migrate configuration maps to a new version of VA Smalltalk?

Louis LaBrunda
Thanks Tom.

Lou

Re: How does one migrate configuration maps to a new version of VA Smalltalk?

dmacq
Just be sure to realize that "the importer does not copy everything from the source library; it copies only the newest version of each configuration map"

Donald [|]

Re: How does one migrate configuration maps to a new version of VA Smalltalk?

Douglas Swartz
Hello Donald,

Actually the importer will copy whatever versions you select, not
necessarily the most recent. You can select as many versions to import
as you want. It will never import editions of classes which aren't in
a versioned Application, however.

I've always gone the opposite direction from Thomas - I use the new
repository as my base going forward and import a few recent versions
of my app into it. I may do it this way because I usually run Envy on
Linux, and the repository is limited to 2 gig on Linux

Doug

On Thursday, August 23, 2012 5:38:26 PM UTC-4, dswartz wrote:

Actually the importer will copy whatever versions you select, not
necessarily the most recent. You can select as many versions to import
as you want. It will never import editions of classes which aren't in
a versioned Application, however.

I believe Donald is talking about the standalone importer application, which doesn't provide for specifying versions.  In the case of the config map import/export, you're correct.

I've always gone the opposite direction from Thomas - I use the new
repository as my base going forward and import a few recent versions
of my app into it. I may do it this way because I usually run Envy on
Linux, and the repository is limited to 2 gig on Linux

I import the new code into the existing repository for a number of reasons.  First, I have to get a UNIX administrator involved if I want to install a new repository.  Second, there's the behavior Donald pointed out (and if the new version of VA isn't specifying only the latest versions of config maps in the new repository, then there's a serious problem!  :{) ).  Third, we have a team of developers hacking away, and it would be just about impossible to get them to stop, version everything, and wait while I moved stuff to a new repository!

Plus, as I said initially, I see great value in being able to build for both versions of Smalltalk simultaneously, and I know there's no way I could reliably move all the Smalltalk config maps I needed into a new repository.  Remember, we're not just talking about our own code - there's also whatever would be needed to support that code.

By having the new code in the old repository, the developers can continue to work using the existing version of Smalltalk while I fine-tune the config map line-ups for the new version of Smalltalk.  It can lead to some interesting config map expressions, but it does mean that I can validate the application in either version simultaneously.

Tom

Re: How does one migrate configuration maps to a new version of VA Smalltalk?

Louis LaBrunda
Thanks Everyone for all the replies.

I had seen the Export/Import options but they didn't show anything because I hadn't versioned many of my configuration maps. Once I versioned them I was able to import them into the new version of VA Smalltalk. I went this route because I wanted to do some renaming of maps and some other clean up.

Lou